The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:33:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 [19] 20 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gasoline Madness;When to Stop  (Read 354496 times)
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #450 on: July 24, 2008, 08:50:44 AM »

Here's an article from my morning paper (orig fr Bloomberg) regarding the speculators. While I don't think it'll ever drop back down to $80/bbl, I've always said it was the futures traders that are killing this country with they're greed.

I think the p'ticians are dreaming if they think they can regulate they're way thru everything.

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2008/07/24/business/355576.txt

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #451 on: July 25, 2008, 08:48:04 PM »

First Commercial-Scale Cellulosic Ethanol Plant Approved for California
Company’s First U.S. Cellulosic Ethanol Plant to Border Lancaster, CA Landfill

http://tinyurl.com/623gsj

They say 3.2M gallons of ethanol/year from garbage starting at the end of next year.  It will be interesting to see if this works.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #452 on: July 25, 2008, 11:06:01 PM »

can booze be made from garbage? That would be a good solution. stay home and drink.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ka3zlr
« Reply #453 on: July 26, 2008, 06:17:15 AM »

Well, innovation being what it is relative to today's Tech, I am still a little amiss at the chemistry side of the issue here, I still think there's a synthetic side to this and I'm wondering where it's at, or why it isn't released.

I'm not so interested in running Alcohol in my Ranger.

W8EJO

« Reply #454 on: July 26, 2008, 08:53:49 AM »

I've always said it was the futures traders that are killing this country with they're greed.

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2008/07/24/business/355576.txt

Nonsense!

"Greed", or more correctly economic self interest, is crucial to the success of our economy. It forms the basis for competition which, as Adam Smith pointed out in the classic Wealth of Nations, is the "invisible hand" that keeps prices low and quality high.

You, me, everyone wants the most bang for our buck. Is that "greed" or smart economic self interest.

And as to speculators, we are all speculators. Sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong.

Furthermore, if oil speculators are so evil, please explain the $25/barrel drop in price in the last 2 weeks.

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
KC4KFC

« Reply #455 on: July 26, 2008, 11:32:27 AM »

can booze be made from garbage? That would be a good solution. stay home and drink.

I guess we can call this getting "trashed?"

By the way, the definition of greed from Mirriam-Webster:

: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed

I was also thinking of how much current my rig consumes. With a 1kw I would estimate 1500 watts or so. Ever drive by those gas stations all lit up at night? Or those empty parking lots at the mall, at the strip mall, at churches, all lit up, all night, every night. Wonder how much power they use?

I think my power footprint is very small in relation.

KA1ZGC
« Reply #456 on: July 26, 2008, 11:52:10 AM »

And as to speculators, we are all speculators. Sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong.

Furthermore, if oil speculators are so evil, please explain the $25/barrel drop in price in the last 2 weeks.

I'll go you one further:

You guys are, for the most part, old buzzards, right? (Hint: the answer is "yes, we are").

Those of you who are already old buzzards, and those creeping up on buzzardom, have retirement plans, right?

Do you manage those plans yourselves, or is someone else taking care of that for you?

For those in the latter situation, did you notice that very slight increase in the value of your retirement plans over the last few months? Probably not, because most of you are probably too busy pissing and moaning about how everyone but you is screwing up the country to pay attention to these things.

How did this happen? Simple: the guys managing your retirement funds turn to the mercantile exchange when the stock market slows down. Gains on stocks were slow, but oil was trending upwards, so they did exactly what you are paying them to do, they made money for you by investing your retirement money in oil futures.

I tried to get people to think about this a few weeks ago, but the overwhelming consensus was that I was "defending the oil pigs", as Frank would say. Forest for the trees.

Everyone with a retirement plan has speculators working for them. This means most of you on this board, and almost all of you in on this thread. So be sure to turn to your left and thank a baby-boomer (a.k.a. "the whiniest, most self-entitled generation ever spawned by mankind"), or anyone else who expects their retirement money to grow and be there for them. Everybody are the speculators, and everybody are the "oil pigs".

Or, as Dire Straits put it:

"When you point your finger,
your plan fell through,
you've got three more fingers
pointing back at you"

The surge is over, the speculators made all the money for you they can on oil. They passed the point of diminishing returns when the demand started to drop, and they're all heading for the exits now. Gas prices are falling again, the sky is not.

Time for the next pseudo-crisis.

--Thom
King Abraham One Zebraham George Charlie
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #457 on: July 26, 2008, 02:44:34 PM »

Guzzlers like Hummers seem to irritate some folks.
I just came across this Hummer-Hater site- LOL!
(If you are easily offended, do not visit)

http://www.fuh2.com/
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #458 on: July 26, 2008, 02:46:25 PM »

Self fullfilling quest just by writing this, but....

"This thread's still alive?"

Gas is going down, however slightly now.  

Maybe we'll even get to the point of fullfilling Steve's poignant point (SPP) theory...
"you guys bitch on the way up and you guys bitch on the way down." Grin

I hope so; my car's a rustin' and my mowers's a' bustin' to clip some grass.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #459 on: July 26, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »

More gas from garbage.  I don't know about you but I'm going to start saving all my garbage so I can run my car on it. 

Fulcrum Bioenergy Announces Plans to Build One of the First Commercial Scale Ethanol Plants Using Municipal Waste  (Reno)

http://tinyurl.com/59bf5t

High tech but demonstration scale only (Madison, Ill):

Plant to turn waste into ethanol
Friday, April 25, 2008
By Elwin Green, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08116/876330-28.stm
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #460 on: July 26, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »

I seen that hummer site.. Yesterday there was a drive by shooting of a H2 at night when it was parked. The perp was drving what looked like a volvo wagon.  I don't condone that but It's very funny that they are being given the bird.. although I don't feel that way, I try to find humor in things. The only hummer I will ever respect as a vehicle is the H1 and the more spartan but genuine HMMWV.

The city of Dallas landfill is full of pipes and they collect the noxious gasses and make some kind of propane or methane from it onsite with a small plant, and it helps a litte bit to fuel the city vehicles.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #461 on: July 26, 2008, 04:59:54 PM »

Yesterday there was a drive by shooting of a H2 at night when it was parked. The perp was drving what looked like a volvo wagon.  I don't condone that but It's very funny that they are being given the bird.. although I don't feel that way, I try to find humor in things. The only hummer I will ever respect as a vehicle is the H1 and the more spartan but genuine HMMWV.

Angry

You think it's funny when someone shoots holes in someone else's property (probably not knowing or caring whether someone is in it or not) because they don't approve of the brand they buy, and justify that because you don't either?

Shame on you.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #462 on: July 26, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »

No, a shooting as with a camera.

No holes involved.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #463 on: July 26, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »

Boy, talk about a failure to communicate.

Any English teach... would love to use that one as an example.

I do it all the time. I'm writing what I think not realizing there might be two very different interpretations.

RICK  *W3RSW*
ka3zlr
« Reply #464 on: July 26, 2008, 09:55:21 PM »

Naaa,

What we have heereya is failure...To gasolate...LOL Grin

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #465 on: July 27, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »

and.... as the French did in WWII with their CO, woodburning lash-ups tacked on to the back of their jalopies,
".... a failure to flatulate."

"Radio here OM is wood driven."
uh, sorry.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KA1ZGC
« Reply #466 on: July 27, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »

Are you guys finished now?

Most people, when faced with a description of a "drive by shooting" by a "perp" (with absolutely no other information to go by) would infer the same thing, particularly with Hummer-bombing being a popular and heavily encouraged enviro-whacko pastime.

I wonder how many of the truths to which you guys cling were derived the same way?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #467 on: July 27, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »

Are you guys finished now?

Most people, when faced with a description of a "drive by shooting" by a "perp" (with absolutely no other information to go by) would infer the same thing, particularly with Hummer-bombing being a popular and heavily encouraged enviro-whacko pastime.

I wonder how many of the truths to which you guys cling were derived the same way?

I think they should all be shot up just like Bonnie and Clyde's car.  Better still, search the net and learn how to make Molotov Cocktails.  That would be just as effective and a lot cheaper, even at to-day's gas prices.

And while we are at it, why stop at hummers?  Onward to obnoxious slopbucketeers!  Using Google Earth, it is easy to pinpoint the exact locations of towers and antennas.  A good pair of bolt cutters will work wonders on a guyed tower.  A hacksaw is effective on a self-supported tower.  A little gasoline and a match will take care of wooden poles.  For stubborn cases, there is always ammonium nitrate fertiliser mixed with diesel fuel.

After the slopbucketeers, CB'ers would be a breeze.  We'll have 'em shaking in their boots.

I would add commercial TV broadcast towers but since nearly everyone receives their garbage via cable or satellite these days, it wouldn't be worth the trouble and risk involved...

Let's rid the planet of the riff-raff once and for all!

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #468 on: July 27, 2008, 04:45:19 PM »

I think you forgot to finish that post with "Zig Heil!"

Roll Eyes

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #469 on: July 27, 2008, 05:34:06 PM »

Some firebomb Hummers because they are wasteful. Some may see ham radio as wasteful. Watch what you wish for. ELF and other similar terrorists might come after you.

http://cbs13.com/crime/seattle.homes.elf.2.667721.html
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/05/15/national/a074804D62.DTL
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003141472_webecosab20.html
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B00E0D71030F93BA25752C1A9649C8B63

ka3zlr
« Reply #470 on: July 27, 2008, 06:14:52 PM »

Hooo K,

So Much for Bombeing yer Hummer day...

Now back to our regularly Sked-u-dled Complaints...LOL.. Grin
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #471 on: July 27, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »

I think you forgot to finish that post with "Zig Heil!"

Roll Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiVlvciPZx4

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W8EJO

« Reply #472 on: July 27, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »

ELF and other similar terrorists might come after you.

A point I have frequently made, (and as this video clearly shows) the hard core environuts are really anti-capitalist marxists. They love the "useful idiots" who fall in line & follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjVOfs21tsA&feature=related

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #473 on: July 27, 2008, 06:50:36 PM »

"Steiner says HI HI when he laughs!!"

LOL!!

W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #474 on: July 27, 2008, 07:22:39 PM »

OMG, that was great.

At 1:58 "no ham has ever had sex after getting on the air!"

lmfao Grin

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Pages: 1 ... 18 [19] 20 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015