The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:21:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 [18] 19 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gasoline Madness;When to Stop  (Read 354494 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #425 on: July 15, 2008, 10:09:40 PM »

It's always amazed me that we can buy silicon wafers from Asia, ship them to Europe or the USA, make chips, ship the chips to malaysia or wherever for packaging (put the die chip in the black package with leads) and then ship them globally to customers, doing all of this on time, and still turn profits.

What's even more amazing is that we are shipping drinking water across the sea.

Personally, if a regular TV set cost $1200 and a video recorder $900, it would not bother me a bit, if they were made in the USA by Americans.

If they were worth it, built to last, and capable of being repaired.  I wouldn't pay those kinds prices for the same cheap throw-away consumer crap we now get from China.

those with less money would, as they did before, have the old TV set fixed, and buy used TV's. My father bought used TV sets. We usually fixed the TV ourselves (others might have taken them to TV repair shops). I have always bought used TV sets and all other major appliances and there is no shame in that.

Nor is there any shame in dumpster diving. I have had confrontations with dump personnel about pulling stuff out and bringing it home. Some of my best clothes are what I bought at Salvation Army and Goodwill.  Our clothes dryer is over 20 years old.  The washing machine was replaced a couple of years ago after it crapped out, after over 25 years of use.  Every other appliance was bought new and has outlasted its predicted life span by at least a factor of two.  My last few cars were bought brand new, regularly maintained and driven until they were worn out.

One of the biggest problems I have with the American economy and our very way of life these days is that they are based more and more on waste and "consumption".  I despise to be called a "consumer".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #426 on: July 15, 2008, 10:50:21 PM »

Yeah Don, we've been in a battle with Sears the last few days.

Our 1-1/2 year old Kenmore washing machine crapped out...The motor just buzzes until the breaker trips.

I had an independent guy come out to look at it and he said the transmission had seized and it would cost $400 to fix it. Called Sears and got no help at all, other than the gal on the phone said, "Yes, they don't make them like they used to...Sorry,the 1 year warranty has expired, you shoulda bought the extended warranty..."

Grrr.

My wife, God bless her, found the sales paperwork for the washer and noted the motor and transmission had a 5-year warranty.

Called Sears back, they're charging me another $75 bucks to come out to look at the thing on Thursday. "The person you talked to was mistaken..."

I think their business depends on wearing people out.

The days of an appliance lasing many years and being repairable are over. I initially thought a belt, motor start capacitor or something simple had failed, but no more $5 belts and a new capacitor didn't help. either. Instead, there's a $300 transmission. This is progress?

Don, I *want* to fix the thing, but it might be cheaper to take it to the landfill and replace it. How could I not waste and consume?

Does Sears even care that I'll never buy another thing from them again?
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #427 on: July 15, 2008, 11:10:54 PM »

"  Does Sears even care that I'll never buy another thing from them again?   "

No, they don't.    Does Ford think i'll buy another car from them?  No.

You may be suprized... do a google search for the washer with the exact serial number.... the trannie for my old sears washer cost about $12  from the local parts store....

try this

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

What? Me worry?
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #428 on: July 16, 2008, 01:47:13 AM »

If we can drill our way into energy independence, we need to look at that. If we can't, then we need to look at that as well, Don.

Besides, if we simply burn up all of our petroleum, what are the alternatives for its other necessary uses like making plastics, pharmaceuticals, chemicals or synthetic rubber? You need natural gas to make the necessary fertilizer for modern agriculture. No natural gas, no food. Our modern society can't exist without these products.

There is aprox. 200 billion barrels of known reserves in the US a huge chunk of which are in no drill zones both on land & off shore. Remember that they keep discovering new oil fields all the time so this number will grow (According the Energy Information Administration as of January 2007 there was more than 1.3 trillion barrels of proved crude oil on earth. In 1944 the quantity stood at 20 billion. In 1950 it leaped to 100 billion and in 1980 it was 648 billion. In 1993 the world’s proved reserves grew to 999 billion, and today they stand at 1.3 trillion barrels. There are several reasons for this. New exploration and advancements in surveying techniques in particular result in fresh finds almost every year). This does not include the over 1 trillion barrels in the western oil shale that they will soon figure out how to recover economically and safely (Royal Dutch Shell is working on that now).
We import about 4.7 billion barrels annually so our known oil reserves would give us about 43 years of supply. However our oil use is declining & will decline even more if we bring nuclear plants online & employ clean coal & convert to natural gas where possible.

Speaking of natural gas, the numbers are even more staggering for no touch gas.   
Those are great maps.   Looks like the Gulf of Mexico has a lot of potential for oil. The numbers there have another zero compared to my neck of the woods which ain't so bad either.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #429 on: July 16, 2008, 02:04:06 AM »

Most people here are spoiled and selfish, wanting everything for little or nothing, and they suckle at the sticky-sweet teat of cheap products from faraway lands where labor is worth little and life is worth less. A friend of mine used to brag about how much of his stuff was made by slave labor in China. Bring it all back is exactly right!
I search for stuff made in the USA and will pay a hefty premium for it.  I was shocked and pleased to buy some plastic file boxes yesterday, all made in the USA.  I was disappointed when I declined to buy the made in China forstner bit at Home Depot, went to OSH (local hardware chain) where I'd seen one for more money, figured it was made in the USA only to discover it was Chinese too, just had a heftier profit margin.  I declined to buy new hinges for some doors here because I could only find made in China.  I left in the old, banged up Made in USA ones.  When I find food in the grocery store imported from China (you'd be surprised) I put it back on the shelf.  I'm very grumpy on this subject but the choices are limited.  I haven't found the websites like http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/ very useful

I'm just as grumpy as Don about consumerism.  I'd still be driving the '93 Villager if my niece didn't need a car and we got all soft and sold it to her cheap. You know I thought that was an American car when I bought it. I mean it was a Mercury.  It was actually half Japanese.  What a superb vehicle.  It was still great after 15 years.  She totalled it in six months.  I'm still pissed.
ka3zlr
« Reply #430 on: July 16, 2008, 05:51:37 AM »

By keeping things outside this country makes the Spigot Control Sequence easier...

If a group of Amateurs can sit down at a machine designed for calculations, research an discuss the problem, find the solution, Agree on the course of action and understand the outcome and possibilities...

and how many of us on this forum are actually involved in this field...?

It only reinforces the obvious in my mind, but what a better way to control the market, wished I'd have thought of it.

ab3al
« Reply #431 on: July 16, 2008, 08:15:34 AM »

Yea..I wana see a Soccer Mom On a Moped..LOL...

As for Bicycles they are a Worse Hazard, especially when The Racer riders Heed to no road Rules...except they're own...Qute Wittle helmets...an those little Tight Pants...LOLOL.. Grin High Speed Low Drag.... Grin

Just Cut back on usage...Walk more, Shop less....save money....they'll get the message...sooner or later...

They wana tighten up the economy, Tighten up yer wallet...

only if shes hot and wearin hot pants or a micro mini
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #432 on: July 16, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »

I never had a problem with quality foreign made cars.  VW started the trend with the old Beetle back in the 50's, when the US was offering only large tanks that had a tendency to quickly fall apart.  Then Toiletota got in on the act.  The Japs and Germans were doing research on reliability and efficiency while the Yank Tank manufacturers were still devoting their research money towards color and body style preferences.

VW, that long claimed to shun "planned obsolescence", actually got in on the act stealthily long before the original Beetle was discontinued.  Back in the 70's I owned a Karman-Ghia and so did Diane.  Ours were no more than a year or two apart, but nearly all the parts were slightly different, just enough so that they weren't interchangeable... a different size bushing here, mounting screws that weren't the same size there, mounting holes that didn't quite match up, etc.  When buying a replacement part, we usually had to make sure we were purchasing one for the exact model  year, or else 90% of the time it wouldn't fit, and the guy at the parts store at the VW dealer said they did it that way on purpose.  I think that's about when people began to catch on to what was happening and VW sales plummeted as people turned to "Jap Crap".

I wore out 3 Corollas, and never got less than 160,000 miles out of any one of them.  One made it past 200k after I replaced a cracked cylinder head with something I found at a junk yard.  About 20 years ago, got a good deal on a new Mercury Sable.  It was comfortable, the gas mileage wasn't bad (but nothing to write home about).  It was comfortable on long trips.  I would still be driving it if it hadn't crapped out at 120K.  It started leaking coolant, which was mixing in with the oil, but decided to  get rid of it instead of trying to get the problem fixed, because other minor failures were beginning to occur almost weekly. 

My son picked up a used Oldsmobile Cutlass, and after driving it a few years, gave it to my daughter.  It got about the same lifespan as the Sable, crapping out somewhere about 125k. I bought a brand new Mazda Protégé, and it's still running FB OM at 151k.  Diane bought a Mazda MPV (our son right away started harassing her by naming it the "Menopause Van").  It gets about the same mileage as the old Sable, but is still running with no serious problems at 110K, and we use it for long trips and plan to still keep it for a long time to come.

Of  course, most "American" cars are now full of parts made in Mexico, Japan and elsewhere in Asia (undoubtedly before long to include China), while many of the  "Foreign" cars are now assembled in USA, so the lines of distinction between US and foreign cars is blurred.  It was on the regional news this morning that VW now plans to build a new manufacturing plant in Chattanooga.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
NE4AM

« Reply #433 on: July 16, 2008, 12:31:19 PM »

>>>Some 94% of federal lands — 658 million acres — remains off-limits to exploration. Another 97% — or 1.7 billion acres — of federal offshore properties likewise remains off-limits. These lands contain tens of billions of barrels of recoverable oil. It's there for the taking, now.<<<

Uhh, doesn't the constitution prohibit the federal government from owning land except for use by Post Offices and military bases? 

73 - Dave
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #434 on: July 16, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »

"  Uhh, doesn't the constitution prohibit the federal government from owning land except for use by Post Offices and military bases?  "

Where does it say dat?

klc

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #435 on: July 16, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »

When we moved in to the current location we purchased a new dishwasher, Frigidaire.  Basically it was a plastic POS from day one.  After six years of ownership and band-aiding the thing I blew a gasket last night when the plastic handle to open the door broke off. I got what I paid for suffice it to say.  I'm am so sick of plastic whatever. Until this country moves away from cheap plastic crap I will not buy anything made here.  Live and learn. Give me metal or give me death!

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #436 on: July 16, 2008, 05:07:18 PM »

"  Uhh, doesn't the constitution prohibit the federal government from owning land except for use by Post Offices and military bases?  "

Actually, federal, state and local  governments own all the land in the country.  Your deed to your property is nothing more than a long-term lease. 

Your annual lease payments are called 'real estate tax'.  If you lease an apartment and fail to pay your rent, your landlord will have you evicted.  If you fail to pay your rent (property tax) to the government, the tax authorities will have you evicted and your property will be sold (re-leased) to the highest bidder.

Even if you keep up your payments to your landlord, he may decide that he no longer wants to use the property for rental purposes, so he may break the lease and have you evicted anyway in order to use the property for other purposes.

By the  same token, if the government so desires, they may break your lease and seize the property in order to use it for other purposes, like building roads, building schools, running power lines, building public parks, or (re-leasing) to Wal-of-ChinaMart or a big hotel chain.  The process is called eminent domain.

- - -
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #437 on: July 16, 2008, 05:56:34 PM »

Absolutely right D. and I might add, an entire legal industry supports the property 'transfers' and condemnations.   ... not to mention all the national, state and local bureaus.

All this by the wonder of English Law, honed and handed down almost intact from fiefdom to fief.  The only difference is you are supposed to feel better about it in the 21st century than you did in the 12th.

All hail the King.
   Land 'grants.'
      and subsequent holders thereon.

Consider yourselves very lucky that the Lord's & overseer's take is only 40 to 50% on a yearly basis and as Don mentioned 100% long term.   Yeah, your heirs get to pay too; don't want to break any cycles here.

Even the Lord's weren't home free.  Everyonce in awhile they had to scarf up an army in service of the king. 

The kings changed but the system didn't ;  never has and never will.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #438 on: July 16, 2008, 06:37:52 PM »

When we moved in to the current location we purchased a new dishwasher, Frigidaire.  Basically it was a plastic POS from day one.  After six years of ownership and band-aiding the thing I blew a gasket last night when the plastic handle to open the door broke off. I got what I paid for suffice it to say.  I'm am so sick of plastic whatever. Until this country moves away from cheap plastic crap I will not buy anything made here.  Live and learn. Give me metal or give me death!

Last year I bought a Bosch dishwasher from Lowe's on sale. It's solidly built, no plastic handles, extremely quiet and made in the USA (North Carolina, IIRC). Might be worth checking out.

1-year labor and parts warranty, 2-years parts, not labor, 5-years on the electronics and dish racks, lifetime warranty on the door and inner tub.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #439 on: July 16, 2008, 09:29:52 PM »

I drove my 93 ford ranger until 2007, had 190k miles on it.   I fixed it many times, frequently with home brew parts.(like the heater control resistor panel). The Frame on it was what killed it.  I had to weld up new bed mounts, and then a few other spots. Finally the cross member under the tranny was too thin to pass inspection.  (he called it 'very tender')  I had a plan to pull the cab and just go to town with some steel and the welder, but that's tough in February and I needed a vehicle quicker than I could do that large a job...

The thing was, that I COULD fix it.  Even though the frame seemed to be made of some crappy steel.

The body was fine, and it started up even on -15 degree mornings.  Two wheel drive, 4 cyl. good on gas, and hauled many an overweight load with out complaint.

I looked at newer used fords, but they all had the same fram problems begining. 
AND the newer trucks all look like mini-van inside now. Rugs, cup-holders, power windows, what a load of crap.  I want a truck I can wash out the inside with a hose too!! 
Anyway I went with a Chevy this time.  G-----mned computerized piece of junk. 

The only thing about it that I like are the ABS brakes. The work ok-fine. Once I figured out what that pulsing grinding noise was comming from the brake pedal!!!

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #440 on: July 16, 2008, 10:45:06 PM »

Meanwhile, according to the Denver Post:

Xcel Energy estimates that it will shut off 47,000 Colorado customers for delinquent bills during the second and third quarters of this year, a staggering 140 percent increase over the same period in 2005, according to regulatory filings.

Electric and natural-gas bills for the coming winter are expected to be 25 percent higher than the previous year. Colorado is one of the few cold-weather states that don't have temperature-related restrictions on shutoffs.

Minneapolis-based Xcel is Colorado's largest electric and natural-gas utility, with 1.6 million customers.

Southern California Edison, which serves 4.8 million customers, disconnected 165,000 accounts from January to May, for an annualized rate of roughly 8 percent of its total customers.

Xcel's shutoff rate would represent about 6 percent of its customer base if its estimate holds true.

------------

This is not good.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #441 on: July 18, 2008, 11:39:35 AM »

High costs might spur rethinking of personal lifestyles.  Until now, we've had little incentive to cut back on a one-person, one-car lifestyle that's polluting, wasteful, congests traffic and spawns the growth of highways and parking garages.  When we stop behaving as if the Earth's resources are infinite and each of us has unlimited, autonomous access to them, we might also start living more consciously and purposefully. Maybe, in the larger scheme, we'll be motivated to return more to our original (some would say natural) tribal state of interdependence.

Maybe we'll see a growing sense of community connectedness

- - -
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #442 on: July 18, 2008, 11:59:21 AM »

Don, it's all driven by economics, not idealism. The wasteful lifestyle that you decry isn't going to change until it becomes too expensive to maintain.

As gung ho as the country was, even during WWII voluntary cutbacks in civilian consumption didn't succeed, they had to impose rationing of critical items. Think about it.

In a way, you should support drilling in currently prohibited areas with the goal that we should use up all of our fossil fuel resources as fast as we can. Only then will there be a serious effort to switch to renewable and nuclear energy.
W8EJO

« Reply #443 on: July 18, 2008, 01:51:40 PM »

High costs might spur rethinking of personal lifestyles.  Until now, we've had little incentive to cut back on a one-person, one-car lifestyle that's polluting, wasteful, congests traffic and spawns the growth of highways and parking garages.  When we stop behaving as if the Earth's resources are infinite and each of us has unlimited, autonomous access to them, we might also start living more consciously and purposefully. Maybe, in the larger scheme, we'll be motivated to return more to our original (some would say natural) tribal state of interdependence.

The woman who wrote this, Rehka Basu, is your typical left leaning, obama supporting, newspaper columnist who once opined that a 300 billion dollar taxpayer funded wind farm was the way to go.

These "alternative energy" advocates slay me. They want to stop all production of the lowest cost most proven forms of energy and replace them with unproven taxpayer funded boondoggles. Ever notice how all of their "solutions" involve A)more government control of our lives and/or B) taking, by force, more of our money to fund their "solutions". Hell, if their "solutions" were any damn good, the marketplace would have already adopted them. Did Edison, Bell & the Wright brothers need our tax dollars to make their inventions marketable?

Their "solutions" are UNPROVEN!

Reminds me of this math student trying to BS his prof.

* miracle3.gif (11.62 KB, 300x364 - viewed 500 times.)

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
K3ZS

« Reply #444 on: July 18, 2008, 02:44:31 PM »

The Wright brothers needed the U.S. Army to buy their first planes.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #445 on: July 18, 2008, 05:00:17 PM »

Until now, we've had little incentive to cut back on a one-person, one-car lifestyle that's polluting, wasteful, congests traffic and spawns the growth of highways and parking garages.

Don, it's all driven by economics, not idealism. The wasteful lifestyle that you decry isn't going to change until it becomes too expensive to maintain.

That's what is in the process of happening now.  The current price spike may come down a little, particularly as consumption falls off, but we'll never see "cheap" energy again, unless practical fusion technology is developed and implemented...  and that effort isn't even apparently on the radar screen any longer.

Ross Perot may be kind of a likeable nutcase, but his charts are pretty convincing that the present economy based on waste and exponential growth for ever, is unsustainable.

- - -
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #446 on: July 23, 2008, 10:18:47 AM »

T. Boone:  Substitute gas for gas.  That's what he said to Congress yesterday.

I had somehow missed his point before: Stop burning natural gas to make electricity. Use it for transportation. He wants to make electricity from wind and solar to free up the natural gas.

I wonder if he's on to something. I see big CNG vehicles all the time -- buses, garbage trucks, the occasional car.  It's got to be easier to get there than to the Hydrogen Economy

Here's a snippet of his Congressional testimony on USA Today site.  You have to sit through a damned commercial. 

http://tinyurl.com/6chpgu

There's an entertaining video on his website.   Didn't look at it until just now.

http://www.pickensplan.com/

Any of you guys driving CNG vehicles? 

K3ZS

« Reply #447 on: July 23, 2008, 01:27:48 PM »

All the buses in the public transportation system here use CNG: http://www.catabus.com/.  They don't stink like the buses in Philly did, at least when I used to live there.  They are working on some sort of Hydrogen/CNG technology.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #448 on: July 23, 2008, 11:34:49 PM »

One of the biggest problems I have with the American economy and our very way of life these days is that they are based more and more on waste and "consumption".  I despise to be called a "consumer".

me too. (haha a mee too post) The "consumer" is the one entity directly responsible for producing the cash flow that keeps the importers and the wheels of industry alive. I refuse to consume except the bare minimum to achieve a reasonable level of comfort and utility. I detest the actions of those who run like a herd of gobbling turkeys to buy all the cheap crap they see on TV or in their friends' house. One of the salespeople at work was bragging about his 50" plasma TV, until one of the marketing guys started bragging about his new 60". Neither made in USA. Those same people by and large will run up bills they can never pay and the load of their defaults when some day there is nothing left to sell will up on our backs. I needed a set of 1/2" sockets today and I could not find any USA made tools in the auto parts store.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #449 on: July 24, 2008, 01:02:39 AM »

And those big screen plasma TV monitors consume more energy than a plate modulated AM kilowatt transmitter.

I suppose they become more efficient in winter, as the waste heat warms the house and the thermostat trips a little less often.

- - -
Pages: 1 ... 17 [18] 19 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015