The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:17:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gasoline Madness;When to Stop  (Read 354500 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2008, 02:37:31 AM »

Lindsey Williams talks about his first hand knowledge of Alaskan oil reserves larger than any on earth. And he talks about how the oil companies and U.S. government won't send it through the pipeline for U.S. citizens to use.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3340274697167011147

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W8EJO

« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2008, 08:19:13 AM »

This bit of news should concern many AMers who live in the Northeast:

The Marcellus Shale is the latest huge thing in natural gas, considered by some to be a "super giant" gas field. Read more here http://www.petroleumnews.com/pntruncate/246893563.shtml

The edge of the Marcellus Shale in Northeast PA and NY is about 100 miles from NYC, which means the gas needs only a very short trip by pipeline to the major metropolitan centers.

So here are a bunch of "concerned citizens" planning to oppose it with all their might.http://www.damascuscitizens.org/
"The Damascus group has plans to pursue all avenues to stop the drilling, which include the use of moratoriums and other legal actions in the courts. It announced at the meeting that the group had enlisted the services of Richard Lippes, a renowned environmental attorney.

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
ka3zlr
« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2008, 02:54:15 AM »

Hi Terry,

I'm glad you brought that in here, Reason being there is quite a bit of drilling going on in my little area here, on Routes 136 and 980 in Pa. I have watched in the last year 12 wells go in, rather quickly I might add, and drilling is going on now...i wonder if that is connected..?..I wonder...I don't know alot about what is and isn't available and where...geographically..

As far as any environmental impact(s), from what I've watched, we even took the kids for a ride to the one towards McDonald Pa, that's on site right now..And NO environmental damage from what we watched...Drilling is down to a Science ...I don't understand their bitching...excuse my French OM...When they're done the catch basins are cleaned up and the water taken away and the grounds returned to normal..for lack of a better word...

Those machines are inspiring to watch...especially at night...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2008, 10:06:26 PM »

that stuff in my pictures was built 12 years ago, it doesn't throw off much heat.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2008, 10:14:10 PM »

I don't know if this made the headlines, but locally a smart dude had one of those big pick-um-up trucks with duals and the "fifth wheel" hauling a huge box van. He would pull up over the fill ports of a gas station and siphon out thousands of dollars worth of Deisel fuel. I think they caught up with him from the station's showing the video from the security cam and the ever watchful public gave police a tip.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2008, 10:49:53 PM »

I don't know if this made the headlines, but locally a smart dude had one of those big pick-um-up trucks with duals and the "fifth wheel" hauling a huge box van. He would pull up over the fill ports of a gas station and siphon out thousands of dollars worth of Deisel fuel. I think they caught up with him from the station's showing the video from the security cam and the ever watchful public gave police a tip.

Fred

Thats kinda funny ... unless its your gas station.   Angry

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=90551&catid=3

--- Post No Bills ---
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2008, 11:20:25 PM »

Hey Gary, Mark the Q remember "Cal Worthington" car ads LA early '80s???

Frank,

Cal Worthington still had a dealership right off of I-405 in Southern CA, back around 2004. I think it may have been around the Lakewood area, if I remember correctly.

His TV ads were legendary.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2008, 10:09:35 AM »

$3.98.9 per gallon here in N. central Wva this Monday am.

Talking of going to $5.00 nationally this summer.

And interestingly WVa statistics claim a 4% decrease in sales from same time last year.
 Now they're bitching because they are getting less tax money than planned. ... this after the WVa yearly October ratchet for calculating tax rate which has increased every year.

Get'cha comin' and goin'

Turn off your A/C's; (remember those wire seat thingies?); roll down you winders, inflate your tires to 40 psi. and quit driving over 50... um hmm.   No loss of aerodynamics at these speeds with windows down.

Forgot where I was...
Oh yeah, one of the undocumented reasons for less WVa consumption in '08 is that everybody out of state knows it's high and plans to drive straight through.  Anyone living next to VA. just drives across the border. It's called voting with your feet... private enterprise rules even at pennies per gallon diff.

RICK  *W3RSW*
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2008, 11:03:23 AM »

Gloom and Doom, or something worth pondering?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n3g5lUgkWk&feature=related

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Ott

« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2008, 11:57:22 AM »

Gloom and Doom, or something worth pondering?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n3g5lUgkWk&feature=related

Morning Don...

Well... appears some other people aren't waiting around to find out...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2008/06/07/s1a_dual_citizenship_0608.html
ka3zlr
« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2008, 05:42:40 AM »

Morning,

Like the man said though, recession first then production increase, the economic cycle is inevitable and purchasing power changes region. What weight is placed where and at what time is what's important..how liquid one keeps their portfolio is key..to be on the side that's winning....it's just money right...and through the whole of the discussion the key word is "Banks"...control the money control the region...Oh well, the IMF is isn't interested in my ability to eek out a piece of the American way...

Getting back to Summer...I'm Noticing a Lack of Honey bees...I'm not seeing the usual amount I'm used to running into and stepping over in the yard...anyone else notice this..?...I'm Not seeing them....in the evening when usually looking at a patch of clover in the yard, in bloom, I'd see one or two honey bees bouncing from flower to flower...last evening again, and after it came to my attention i made it a point to sit in the yard till dusk and watch ..... not a one OM's, that's uncanny....it's bad enough trying to get rid of the clover and the dandelions but where's the Bees..?

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2008, 11:29:02 AM »

...it's bad enough trying to get rid of the clover and the dandelions but where's the Bees..?

Anyone who worries about dandelions on their lawn has too much time on their hands.

- - -
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #187 on: June 10, 2008, 01:35:52 PM »

The Silence of the Bees
FEATURE ARTICLE - March 19, 2007 by Hannah Nordhaus

Scanning electron microscope image of a bee loaded with pollen. DARWIN DALE/PHOTO RESEARCHERS INC.
The perilous existence of a migratory beekeeper amid a great bee die-off
By the time John Miller realized just how many of his bees were dying, the almonds were in bloom and there was nothing to be done. It was February 2005, and the hives should have been singing with activity, plump brown honeybees working doggedly to carry pollen from blossom to blossom. Instead they were wandering in drunken circles at the base of the hive doors, wingless, desiccated, sluggish, blasé. Miller is accustomed to death on a large scale. “The insect kingdom enjoys little cell repair,” he will often remind you. Even when things are going well, a hive can lose 1,000 bees a day. But the extent of his losses that winter defied even his insect-borne realism. In a matter of weeks, Miller lost almost half of his 13,000 hives — around 300 million bees.

The rest of the article:  http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=16891

Talk about an ecological disaster.  No Bees= No Pollination= No Crops...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #188 on: June 10, 2008, 02:29:05 PM »

Not a single wild honeybee to be seen around the farm this year. There are a few solitary and bumblebees, though. Result: Six marble-sized green apples between our two large trees this year.
WQ9E

« Reply #189 on: June 10, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »

We are also "bee less" in central IL but between the other insects and the winds the apple and peach trees are loaded with fruit so far; we just need to avoid the severe drought mode again this year.  When I first bought my home in 1990 I remember having domesticated honey bees landing all over me as I mowed the pasture near the creek (lots of clover in the area) but so far this year I haven't seen a single honey bee.

The attached photo was taken a few years ago when my wife's garden was covered with bees every morning.  I hope that starts happening again soon.

Rodger WQ9E 

* NZ1W1094.JPG (228.34 KB, 1108x923 - viewed 498 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
ka3zlr
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2008, 09:32:14 PM »

Evening,

I know i shud be at the bench, But The same thing again this evening...Nothing not a one...First I thought it was me, or, to early in the season Now, i just don't know...I had my Diana sitting with me in our little Canvas Roofed Picnic area I put together for the kids and us, real nice Picnic table lawn chairs etc, and she thought i was teasing at first...Now she knows...we came in a little while ago..and that is Just uncanny...

No Disrespect meant for changing the thread..it was just something that is just a little unnerving...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2008, 10:54:18 PM »

Wow Cal is still in business. I remember him on TV in '81 with his pets.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #192 on: June 14, 2008, 01:55:46 PM »

Maybe the madness ends at $8/gallon:

UK petrol consumption down 20%

Apparently the famously inelastic price elasticity curve does have some give to it. Until now we all just suck it up, complain like crazy, maybe vote somebody out of office but in the end pay the price whatever it is and by and large keep doing what we're doing. The demand in the US is down a measly 4%. If I were Putin or Chavez, I'd be as happy as a pig in mud to see that I could double my price and only lose 4% of the business. 

But in Britain $8.62 a gallon triggered something.  Maybe that's the inflection point.  Maybe they can't push us past 8 bucks before something changes.   Won't that be fun $8/gallon?  Better than $10/gallon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/06/11/npetrol111.xml

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #193 on: June 14, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »

What should really trigger the inflection point is the amount of time one engages in productive work to earn what it takes to travel a given distance with a given type of vehicle... call it miles (or kilometres) per hour of work, or make up a catchier sounding buzzword.

This would factor in rising prices, that bogus phenomenon known as "inflation", the current buying power of the currency, and salaries, wages and pensions (all three of which rarely rise enough to keep up with inflated prices).

- - -
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #194 on: June 14, 2008, 10:22:37 PM »

So I've calculated the amount of time I have worked to buy a gallon of gas.

In 1967 with gas at $.30/gal I had to work 14.40 minutes to buy a gallon.

In 1981 with gas at $1.40/gal I had to work 6.48 minutes to buy a gallon.

In 2008 with gas at $4.00/gal I have to work 1.68 minutes to buy a gallon.

Now those numbers should be higher for 67 and 81 as I was buying gasoline with after tax dollars at that time. Today gasoline is a business expense so most is bought with pre-tax dollars.

I graduated from high school in 1967. If you haven't seen the number of minutes you work for a gallon of gas go down since you did, you are doing something very very wrong. You better figure out what it is because it is no ones fault but yours.

The best way to fix the problem of something being too expensive.............
is to figure out how to make more money.

The world in a huge conspiracy against you and playing the victim doesn't work. It's just stupid........but I agree it has LOTS of popular apeal, as can be seen on this thread.

Marty

American Association of Petroleum Geologists
Society of Professional Well Log Analysts
SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology)
American Geologic Institute
RMAG (Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists)
American Association of Stratigraphic Palynologists

AMI #20, GACW #786
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2008, 11:56:48 PM »

Hey, Marty..

How can I get some company to drill an oil well here on the farm?

I own the mineral rights and there once was a gas or oil well about 1/2 mile SE of my property, long abandoned. Might be part of the western side of the Denver Basin here.

How does that all work? Bring a rig by!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #196 on: June 15, 2008, 02:18:13 AM »

Now those numbers should be higher for 67 and 81 as I was buying gasoline with after tax dollars at that time. Today gasoline is a business expense so most is bought with pre-tax dollars.

I graduated from high school in 1967. If you haven't seen the number of minutes you work for a gallon of gas go down since you did, you are doing something very very wrong. You better figure out what it is because it is no ones fault but yours.

You could be expected to have this time go down since high school, since your wages should reflect your productivity.

But for many people to-day, the curve has flattened out or turned upwards, even while increasing or at least maintaining the same level of productivity in their work.

- - -
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2008, 07:29:54 AM »

That's great , good for you.

$143. an hour is a pretty good wage.

Around here, $14. is hard to come by.

K3ZS

« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2008, 08:27:47 AM »

Marty must work for an oil company to get $142 and hour.

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2008, 09:01:22 AM »

Right, so now we complain about someone who went and got an education, worked hard and makes a good wage for himself?? 

Lets see, I make ~28 an hour. Which is about 2x what I made 10 yrs ago.  I didn't get that by waiting for my boss to give me another 0.05/hr raise.

Nigh school, education, change jobs when you have to (hey they'll lay you off when THEY need to so no problem jumping ship when I get a better offer, loyalty goes two ways in my book).

Yes, I have a morgage, 3 kids, one in University, and yea it hurts sometimes, but I'm still working to improve myself. 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015