The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:59:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire Prices  (Read 15152 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: May 07, 2009, 08:14:06 PM »

Just walked around Home Depot and found the price of wire down. 1000 foot spool of #12 Romex is $160. It went as high as $460.  I like #8 solid bare but the price is still kind of high.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:18:23 PM »

I hope the black jacketed #12 Copperweld has come down, I priced a 5000' spool 2 years ago and nearly attained room temperature.

Carl
KM1H

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:33:43 PM »

I hope the black jacketed #12 Copperweld has come down, I priced a 5000' spool 2 years ago and nearly attained room temperature.

Carl
KM1H

So, you were going to experience lividity? .... ..

klc

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:48:27 PM »

I think copper will last longer.
WB2YGF
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 08:13:08 AM »

Funny how copper prices are so volatile, while gold hardly moves despite what all those gold investing commercials keep telling us about getting wealthy with gold.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 08:37:27 AM »

I used to buy 500' rolls of # 12 stranded insulated wire (THHN? anyway, the stuff with the really tough insulation) at Home Despot for around $15.00.  The last time I checked, it was around $55.00 for the same roll.  That stuff makes great antenna wire...cause it doesn't stretch.  I hope the prices are coming down again.  I heard there were a number of reasons for the spike in copper prices, including such things as a lot of building materials, including wire, were being used to rebuild in areas hit by the hurricanes.  Well, perhaps, it has been long enough now that demand has fallen off.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:52:49 AM »

Less copper being implanted in Iraq now.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 10:37:27 AM »

I used to buy 500' rolls of # 12 stranded insulated wire (THHN? anyway, the stuff with the really tough insulation) at Home Despot for around $15.00.  The last time I checked, it was around $55.00 for the same roll.  That stuff makes great antenna wire...cause it doesn't stretch.  73,  Jack, W9GT

Yep, that's all I use here for antenna wire. If the span is more demanding, I even use their #10 wire.

That PVC covering keeps it shiny inside for the life of the wire, as long as we seal it off on the ends for water seepage.

BTW, when putting up inverted vees (about 60 degree apex angle) using that PVC covering, I find the antenna needs to be cut 2.7% shorter than when using flat dipoles and bare wire - to resonant at the EZNec model's suggested lengths .

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 11:33:54 AM »

My understanding was that a lot of the copper, like plywood and drywall, was being consumed by India and China for their building needs when their economies were jumping. Things slowed down all around the world and prices dropped, but eventually it will pick back up. Might be a good idea to check prices and buy whatcha need sometime in the next year or so.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 12:10:28 PM »

let's hope china keeps all its sheetrock
WB2YGF
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 12:35:57 PM »

let's hope china keeps all its sheetrock
Yeah, they need it for rebuilding all those schools that fell in the quake.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 02:14:26 PM »

Lowes in Waterford had 500' #12 stranded THHN for less the $50 the last time I checked which was about 2 weeks ago and #14 went for $24.00.

Question:  How do you seal the end of the stranded conductor and insulation when the conductor is exposed? How do you know the insulation/conductor end is sealed and water tight and atmospheric tight?  Simply gooping sealant on the end doesn't guarantee a seal.  The slightest gap and capillary action will suck water up into the casing.  What technique do you use to ensure the strands and casing provide a good seal?  Does it really matter as long as the solder connection is good?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »

I use the #12 jacketed copperweld for long free span Beverage runs. It doesnt stretch or break under rather high tension and the black jacket is fantastic to eliminate precipitation static. Its what the phone companies call rural wire, lasts forever.

For inverted vees and hanging verticals off the tower I used to use #14 bare stranded copperweld but it turns to rust too damn fast; well 15 years is too fast for me anyway. I still have several thousand feet on the reel and Ill try running a Rustoleum soaked rag over it this time around. Never could keep any type of house wire copper from stretching unless I tied it between 2 car bumpers and gave it a pre-stretch first.

Carl
KM1H

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 03:08:32 PM »

The key to keeping stranded copper wire from stretching is to support the center of the span, especially if there is feedline hanging there.

I've had 2el Quads up at 190' on the tower for 8 years in ice and wind cornditions.  I would know if it stretched cuz of the SWR and f-b performance.  Because there is little strain on the wire and supported in the middle, it hangs tough.

Using #10 wire helps too.

Bob: For sealing, I just tape it off snugly with overlaps using that 2"? wide black electrical tape - and I sometimes goop it up with RTV too.  The RTV is good for maybe 5 years however, and blows off. But I have wire from the 80's that is still shiny inside.

I doubt it hurts if it gets water inside and discolored as far as RF and skin effect on 40/75M, but the deterioration can weaken the wire over time, so might as well seal it off.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 03:18:01 PM »

It's OK if water gets in. You just have to keep the oxygen out.   Grin
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 08:00:40 PM »

Lemme run out to audiophool.com and get some OFC (oxygen free copper) then Smiley

--Shane
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 09:08:52 PM »

Another way of sealing is to keep out two hydrogen atoms for every oxygen atom you let in.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 10:44:46 PM »

Military surplus field phone wire apparenly has some steel strands in with the copper and is very strong, but it is designed to be expendable.

Doesn't the insulation on romex type wire mess up the antenna's performance?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 01:04:31 AM »

Lowes in Waterford had 500' #12 stranded THHN for less the $50 the last time I checked which was about 2 weeks ago and #14 went for $24.00.

Question:  How do you seal the end of the stranded conductor and insulation when the conductor is exposed? How do you know the insulation/conductor end is sealed and water tight and atmospheric tight?  Simply gooping sealant on the end doesn't guarantee a seal.  The slightest gap and capillary action will suck water up into the casing.  What technique do you use to ensure the strands and casing provide a good seal?  Does it really matter as long as the solder connection is good?

I checked at Home Depot today and 500 ft spools of stranded 12 AWG THHN are down to $40.00.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 03:10:40 AM »

those of us hoarding scrap wire are.. still hoarding it.. aluminum scrap is down also. Might as well call the man to come get it and get it over with. They been throwing away half-spools of wire at work. Picked out some thin "blue wire" that circuit board changes are made with, some shielded multiconductor stranded cable, and some thin RG-?? that is 110 Ohms 100% shield and took them to my cube. I can use it at work when I do special little projects.

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 11:31:31 AM »

Whoops - wrong thread...  Cheesy

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 05:09:02 PM »

Checked at Lowes today. A 500 foot roll of the #14 stuff was only $20!

I checked at Home Depot today and 500 ft spools of stranded 12 AWG THHN are down to $40.00.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »

Industry overstock due to less construction, or the real price? That's cheep!!

WA1GFZ

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 08:15:18 PM »

I really like #8 solid bare. Still up around $155 for 500 feet.  Works great for a 125 foot span. #10 is my choice for feeders. Last time I bought a couple spools of #8 it was $85. 
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »

#14 solid copper insulated in those 500' rolls from your favorite local big box store makes great radial wire.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015