The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:42:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toshiba TV Parts Set?  (Read 9893 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: January 21, 2007, 12:09:07 PM »

Hi

We just bought a new TV becuase the old one a 12 YO old large screen 32" CRT TV bit the dust.
Before I haul it off to the landfill, does anyone know if there is a HV transformer in there worth saving?

It looks like a pain to take apart so I thought I would check the knowledge on the board here first

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 12:25:44 PM »

The only hv transformer in there would be a dinky little flyback transformer.  Though  the PC boards would be good for small electronic parts, resistors, caps, etc.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 02:09:44 PM »

Someone gave me a non-working 32 inch TV some time ago. It was a pain to take apart and I found nothing in there worth trying to get out and keep. The larger TO-3 and TO-220 type transistors all had mfr type part numbers, resistors mostly were 1/4 or 1/8 watt stuff, several small runs of coax from the tuner to the board, etc. Wasn't worth the time and effort.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:16:50 PM »

Thanks for the input- I had a gut feeling that there was not much in there worth going after

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 10:24:29 AM »

I' d open it up.

There's much good stuff.

The "generic" transistors are just fine.
Most have Japanese 2SA/B/C numbers.

The HV transistors in the output sections are nice to have around in case you need a HV transistor.
The resistors are all good, especially the power resistors.
It's full of good film caps and a ton of low and high voltage electrolytics.

Etc.

Given the price and increasing scarcity of parts that you don't need a microscope to see, "harvesting" this stuff is not a bad idea at all.

Dead computer monitors are nice too - plus they have some nice little heatsinks...

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 02:12:04 PM »

Took 4 computer monitors and two 17 in TV's to recycling this morning. Popped the back off one of the monitors last night. All the visible transistors had mfr part numbers on them and not the typical  Japanese 2SA/2SB, etc. markings. The removal of some of the other parts was not worth my time but it was fun poking a large screwdriver through the PC board a few times.

I've been  into cleanup, inspect, throw-out mode the last several weeks. I'm tried of "stuff" all over the place, some of which I didn't even remember I had, and most of which, I 'll probably never use, or don't even remember why I saved it in the first place. Going though the large box cartons of tubes that seem to be everywhere, should be a "fun" experience some time in the future.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 11:22:37 AM »

Dunno why you need standard part numbers??

A transistor is a transistor, unless it is a Mosfet or Triac/SCR in a plastic pack.

We must be looking at different things?
I see lots of good electrolytics, film caps and the like.
When I look at Mouser and Digi-key, the prices are insanely high - you can drop $50bux and get back a tiny tiny bag of parts.

Thanks, I'll take those parts off the computer monitors!! Cheesy

So, unless ur over-run with parts of all descriptions, I'd council scavenging the boards... I just keep a small pile of the boards, and pull a part if I don't have one in one of my plastic bins - of which there are >1,000 drawers full. And, that happens reasonably often that I don't have some oddball part or value and I can find it on a scrapped PCB in the pile.

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 11:01:40 AM »

It's a throw away whirl we live in.
What could you do with a 30kv power supply capable of 50ma?
The keep-alive voltage (on all the time) is around 160VDC..........what can you do with that?
G'day
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 03:45:43 PM »

It's a throw away whirl we live in.
What could you do with a 30kv power supply capable of 50ma?
The keep-alive voltage (on all the time) is around 160VDC..........what can you do with that?
G'day
Fred

You could use the 30kV supply to make Arc and Sparks from your Finger Tips
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=9511.0

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 06:47:42 PM »

I just read in our  local newspaper about a house fire that did substantial damage to a home.  Arson investigators concluded that it was an accidental electrical fire, originating from a computer monitor.  Maybe it would be well to keep those things turned off while unattended.  Saves $$ on the electric bill too.

I'd bet a considerable number of fires result from to-day's consumer electronics junk that is "on" all the time, even when turned off.

Plus how much energy nationwide is wasted per day with all this "keep alive" technology?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 09:14:14 PM »

I agree with you Don. But you know, waiting 90 seconds for something to turn on is such an inconvenince

Carl

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 04:07:44 PM »

I agree with you Don. But you know, waiting 90 seconds for something to turn on is such an inconvenince

The  solid state stuff should turn on instantly.  But you have to manually press the power switch on the unit.  A remote won't work if the unit is turned off.  Even that could be remedied by running the remote sensor off a battery, which would then connect the unit to the a.c. power mains.

It takes my hollow state stuff at least 90 seconds to fully come to life.  I have seen some old buzzard style broadcast receivers from the late 20's/early 30's, that used 2.5 volt filament tubes like 227's, 224-A's, 59's or 2A5's, that would take even longer.  As I recall, in the late 40's some home broadcast sets used the  little 1.5 volt battery filament type tubes in an ac power configuration in order to produce instant-on capability.

It takes my computer just about as long to boot up from a cold start as it takes typical tube gear to come to life.

My receiver, less outboard audio amp, and VFO remain powered up all the time, to  maintain instant stability.  Even they are powered down when there is a T-storm threat, since the power lines here seem to be especially good lightning magnets.  At work, the computers stay on all day, regardless of wx, and many of them are not shut down at night, and I have never heard of anyone's computer getting zapped.  But I have had at least two major computer lightning disasters at the house, plus it has taken out countless cordless phones and answering machines, plus one VCR.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 04:32:53 PM »

I put timers on all the junk in my household that is "on when it's off" and I saw my electric bill drop about $25 to 30/mo. 

I bought one of those "Kill-A-Watt" meters to measure power usage.  For a $20 investment here's what I found:

2  satellite receivers, 23 watts  on or off
2  TV's,   off 6w and 4w.  On, 120 and 142w
2 DVD player and VHS machines anywhere from 2w to 8w when off
2 Computers, Older one 2w when off, 130 to 160 when on depending on activity.  New Computer, off 4w, when on 100 to 200 depending on activity.  New computer has LCD, Old computer CRT.
Cordless phone 2w
Answering machine 1w
Alarm system 11w
DSL modem 18watts+
Cordless drill battery charger 7w during trickle mode.  It's unplugged and used only when needed now.  It's also an RFI monster.

Timers disable power when we're sleeping or at work.  Answering machine and alarm system are  on 24/7.

Kill-A-Watt meter:
http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015