The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:13:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arcs and Sparks from Your Fingertrips - Video  (Read 5529 times)
W1UJR
« on: January 18, 2007, 08:51:23 PM »

This was just too odd not to share.
Flyback xfomer coupled to your body with a pair of needle nose pliers, and your there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MJ0F9x92fE&eurl=
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 08:59:26 PM »

A real bright light bulb out there.
Keep Jose away from my computers!!!!!
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
wb1aij
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:35:12 PM »

I could not read this link because the website is filtered out by my employer; I will have to wait till I get home to read it. I will comment on what I THINK it is about. "When I Was A Little Children" I used to take 4 of my moms one quart canning jars and arrange them on the cellar floor in a square and put a piece of plywood on top making a highly insulated platform. Then I would stand on the platform and hold the output of the 1B3 tube flyback xfmr rectifier and charge myself up to about 25000 volts dc. My hair would stand up REAL straight and the cobwebs on the cellar ceiling would all point toward me. It all went well till the dog came down the cellar to see what I was doing and came over to me for a pat on the head. I immediatly let go of the wire but I stayed charged up and we both got a loud but not painful snap as the spark jumped into the dogs nose through my trousers. Alot of people thought this was utter madness but I am willing to bet that many amateur radio people would say this is not madness at all but rather an interesting experiment. What say you?
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 02:36:10 PM »

Yes , it is madness.

Yes, it is cool.

Wear constricting underware when performing these stunts.

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 03:20:39 PM »

I once watched a Tesla coil demonstration.  The dude could draw arcs several feet long to his body parts. 

But he used a special glove with electrodes that extended beyond his fingertips, and wore a metal grille mask and helmet to serve as lightning rods to his nose and ears.  The skin effect may protect internal organs, but you can still get a wicked rf burn from a sustained arc to the skin on your body (speaking from years of experience).

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 08:53:48 PM »

Neat video. Oh did y'all see the other 'charge' watchin'  Jose from the bed.
Now that would give you a real charge.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 02:13:25 PM »

This is old beans! A friend of mine and I used to do that stuff all the time. We were experimenting with Kerlian(?) photography back around 1976. Back then, TV chassis's were plentiful and the shops would put them out back for the junk man but didn't care who took them. We had some neat pictures on 35MM. I did a speech about it back in my high school for science class. I was a freshman lecturing to a bunch of seniors.  Cheesy I haven't done any of that metaphysics stuff since then.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
n3lrx
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 02:36:37 PM »

I wonder how this guy does it.. It only takes a few milliamps to send your ticker into chaos.. Skin effect does come into play I'm sure but theres always that chance without proper protection.

My Apache bit me once and I'll never forget it! Went straight thru hand to hand and my chest and arms ached for hours after that. (Partly because it threw me across the room!) It even burned a little black hole on my finger where the high voltage B+ arced to the chassis.. Taught me the one hand rule the hard way!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 02:38:19 PM »

I like the part which says he's got no finger prints anymore....    Seems like a way to make some money....    klc

What? Me worry?
wa2zdy
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 08:17:34 PM »

That's 28kv or so with a 15750Hz ripple at work.

Madness.  Luck only goes so far.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 01:38:12 PM »

I used to do something similar many years ago, It was a lot of fun!!

A friend of mine who was on a health and natural healing kick paid a lot of money for this device that was called an "ion generator" that was supposed to purify the air in the room. I believe that it was more of an ozone generator. It had some sort of HHV lo current power supply and an electrode hidden under a foam rubber cover.
It would charge the particulate matter in the air and blast it onto the wall behind it. It was a rather small device, about the size of a quart can.

I found that as long as I was sitting on the couch (insulated) I could hold my hand in front of it and charge myself up. I could then shoot about 5-6" "lightning bolts" at their dog's nose. (the dog did not care for this at all) This escallated to shooting sparks at the family members as well. I used to have a ball with that thing. It seemed that the sparks hurt the one that I zapped much more than it hurt me, so i had a lot of fun with it.

they finally got so tired of being shocked and pissed off at me that they got rid of it!

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:10:29 PM »

Nice little cupcake running around there in the background while Jose's trying to prove Darwin was right.

I have a 7600V 35kva pole pig he can try that with. Shocked

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015