The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:26:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will antenna restrictions save HF?  (Read 3889 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: January 16, 2007, 12:31:54 PM »

There has been a  lot of discussion in recent years that it is nearly impossible to buy or rent real estate anywhere within commuting distance to a city these days, without zoning  laws, deed  restrictions and Homeowners' Association rules that make it virtually illegal to put up outdoor antennas of any kind on your own property.  This has been predicted by some to be what will ultimately kill ham radio, not the lack of newcomers, dying off of older hams, RFI, BPL, commercial take-over of our bands, etc.  How can you set up a ham station if you can't put up an antenna?  So will ham radio end up limited to the "shack-on-a-belt" crowd?

But maybe antenna restrictions will be what saves our HF bands from being over-run with jillions of new appliance ops using riceboxes to run slopbucket.  Up to now, the code test has allegedly been the "obstacle" that has denied HF access to the masses.  But with the elimination of the code requirement, and further dumbing down of the written test, antenna restrictions may be the remaining obstacle that limits access to the lower bands.  Why will the promised hoards of no-code Techs want to upgrade, if they know they don't have a place to put up an HF antenna?  The  same goes for unlicensed would-be newcomers.

So now, instead of "I can't learn the code,"  we will hear "I can't put up an antenna."  Those of us fortunate enough to already own unrestricted property or have existing antennas, will be able to continue operating, but antenna restrictions may quench the hoped-for tsunami of newcomers (= appliance operators).

So maybe we shouldn't P&M too much about antenna restrictions, after all.

PS: I think it may already be a moot point, because I seriously doubt that the new no-code tests will bring in a surge of new licensees in any case.  How many newbies did we get on HF after Novice Enhancement, the no-code Tech, 5 wpm Generals/Extras, etc?  Why will it be any different this time around?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »

antenna restrictions may quench the hoped-for tsunami of newcomers (= appliance operators).

How did you come to the conclusion that newcomers necessarily equal appliance operators?

In my experience it seems that there are many OTers that are ricebox users who are clueless about their equipment.  Anyway, who cares what kind of equipment they're using so long as they're interesting to talk to?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 04:42:02 PM »

The FCC's decision to drop the morse code testing element will not yield jillions to HF.

The growth of the hobby is not fed or constrained by the exam, it's fed by its allure to those who might consider participating.

wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 04:51:51 PM »

well I know what you mean about restrictions. its that way here in tucson, but I shopped and
got almost 5 acres with no deed restrictions whatsoever. it was tough to find though. then
a few years ago we had home owner association types with idle time, to try and get the county to ban antenna heights to 34'.  to start with, tucson has a 100' default height for all hams. you
have to get a permit, which is exempt. that is they don't inspect your installation, just that
it can't fall on your neighbors. I got two permits for 2 100' towers, before the county
hearings began on the tower issue.  what a turnout, red cross spoke, home land security spoke,
fire, police etc. those homeower nazi's got drummed out and we retain the 100' exempt
height. which 100' is a darn reasonable height. turning back to your question, I think
those who want to get on will be like me, determined to do so.

am forever!
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 05:52:26 PM »

Operating frequency or license class is meaningless. Lids will be lids.

Regarding antenna restrictions, I think most hams do their homework when it comes to CC&R's. It's the unfortunate one's that don't check into these thing's only to find out after the closing that no antenna's are allowed.

My own situation sucks right now, so I tend to stay off the air. I'm trying to keep my ambition alive by focusing on the building and repairing parts of the hobby, trying to learn circuits, construction techniques, swl'ing, etc. My lot is so small; I have to go out in the street to change my mind, so wires are pretty much out. The fiasco really got kicked into high gear when I started putting together a Mosley 67-B on the back lawn. It still isn't in the air, and there's no feed line hooked up, but the nitwits just keep coming with the interference complaints. This is all very discouraging as far as my desire to operate is concerned, but eventually I'll find the right house, in the right location, then the strap'eth shall come forth.

SK

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 05:53:24 PM »

OK Dean,The ball is in your park now. Git those beautiful towers up before the permits run out!!! Roll Eyes
MAN!!! If I could just get a 120 footer, I would be in HAM heaven.
Yes folks, stay awaYYY from those Communist neighborhoods Angry
And the art of radio is fading also. Too much modern technology and instant commo using other devices. I'm gonna try to show our harmonic how much fun radio can be.
G'day
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 07:04:57 PM »

Antenna height or tower height?..... just a thought.....   80 meter quad is only 67' on edge.....   klc

What? Me worry?
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 10:14:15 PM »

I might not put em up, fred, cost. these tv pushup verticals (3) with 100 radials
are blowing smoke. We have a very high ground conductivity here in a relatively
small section of the sonaran desert, mostly due to minerals. they want to open
another copper mine out here.

I'm with w1atr, lids will be lids!

am forever!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015