The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:28:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You won't doze off in the middle of this one  (Read 8634 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: January 15, 2007, 11:11:07 PM »

A must-see, although I wouldn't recommend it to a soldier just returned from Iraq. A plausible culmination of events launched by the War on Terrorism, homeland security measures and envirnomental issues.  I guarantee you won't doze off in the middle of this one.

"Children of Men,"  a 2006 film by director Alfonso Cuarón with stellar performances by Clive Owen, Chiwetel Efiojor, Julianne Moore and Michael Caine. It's based on a novel by P.D. James, and one hell of a story: a desperate chase set in a dismal England of 20 years from now, on a dying Earth that has been devastated by nuclear bombings, immigration conflicts, plague and environmental damage, and most importantly, the looming end of the human race: for the past 18 years, for unexplained reasons, no babies have been born anywhere worldwide.

The rest of the planet has lapsed into chaos but the British, stoically, have put the remainder of their civil liberties into the fire and settled down under an oppressive dictatorship to ward off foreign boarders and await inevitable extinction.

Enter a young pregnant illegal who is therefore mankind's last hope, and you have the kick-ass sci-fi premise of a lifetime.

Plot Outline: In 2027, in a chaotic world in which humans can no longer procreate, a former activist agrees to help transport a miraculously pregnant woman to a sanctuary at sea, where her child's birth may help scientists save the future of humankind.

Click for a preview:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/trailers-screenplay-E28377-10-2

Click here for more about the film (be sure to read the review at the bottom of the page): 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:11:32 PM »

"could be fined $1,000 just for taking a leak in my own back yard!"

-- and then be entered into the sexual criminals registery.... ..             klc       

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 02:28:57 PM »

The new 24 series is out so there is a show worth watching now.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 06:20:41 PM »

ROGER on the "24" series. Jack Bauer never sleeps and an atomic device was set off in Los Angeles(?)
If there's enouph of these types of movies around some bright light might try something like that for real. Anyway, I like the president's office from the previous seasons. Looks like a corporate America office.
Thanks for the tip on the Children of Men. I'll rent it and COPY IT....... HA! Shocked
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 07:14:47 PM »

Another good terrorist movie that you do not have to watch every episode is "The Unit" It has President Palmer (from 24,,,the black Pres. and Allstate Insurance commercials)) as the lead MAN.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 09:02:11 PM »

Jack is a pisser he recovers so quickly.  I figured I would burn out on this season but has grabbed my interest.
Sure makes you think about n. korea and iran. 
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 10:23:03 PM »

>Sure makes you think about n. korea and iran

KOrea and iRAN

put em together - KORAN? - na, too nostradamus like to be real.

am forever!
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 08:34:30 PM »

Yeah, "24" is pretty good, but I like "Numb3rs" better. (how do you print a backwards "3"?)

Anyway when the good lookin' blond starts talking multivariable regression analysis and using real equations as a background to the set, why my family of curves just starts taking off.  : )

Just the other day I think she "least squared" some set of points to get a trend line. Yeah, Real Radio.

RICK  *W3RSW*
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 11:46:22 PM »

don,
     I went and saw children of men. what I was amazed at is the charges
used in the special effects, some hefty ones. not the usual firecracker and
gasoline puff. don't know how they did a few, like the tank turret being
blown off with a gunner on it. also, the birth scene, that was a live lil kicker
coming out of her! amazing..

am forever!
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 09:09:02 AM »

Terrorism,
envirnomental issues.
a dying Earth,
nuclear bombings,
immigration conflicts,
environmental damage,
looming end of the human race,
no longer procreate, no babies have been born (chastity),
put the remainder of civil liberties into the fire
oppressive dictatorship.

Now you'll know what it's like to see life from Irb's point of view.  Did he write it?

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 01:33:08 PM »

Yeah, "24" is pretty good, but I like "Numb3rs" better. (how do you print a backwards "3"?)

Anyway when the good lookin' blond starts talking multivariable regression analysis and using real equations as a background to the set, why my family of curves just starts taking off.  : )

Just the other day I think she "least squared" some set of points to get a trend line. Yeah, Real Radio.

Sort of roughly like:
NumbЄrs

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 05:58:02 PM »

no longer procreate, no babies have been born (chastity),

I don't think that was supposed to be the case, no matter what Irb might wish.  The entire human race was suddenly and inexplicably struck with infertility.  The black chick was a prostitute, and birth control had long been abandoned since it no longer served any purpose.  Somehow she ended up a miraculous exception to the scourge.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015