The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:56:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Temp Aluminum Welding  (Read 3544 times)
wb1aij
« on: January 10, 2007, 04:01:47 PM »

Check out the link. This could be very handy for rack & chassis repair. This stuff also works for copper, brass, & other metals.

http://durafix.com/
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 06:03:54 PM »

It's basically zinc solder. Lots of things create molecular bonds, but it's still not welding. Technically you might be brazing because of the temperature. If you use it on zinc parts you're welding since the parent will melt too. These types of filler are known as rub-on rods. Your joint will still be weaker than the parent metal regardless of what the advertising or specs are.

While it probably *works* okay for minor non-critical patches and repairs, it certainly can't be considered "as good as" a properly done job with proper equipment. One of the most critical things required when doing aluminum welding properly is shielding the weld puddle from contamination during the welding process. How's that accomplished without shielding gas?

I don't think I would trust it with a 200 pound plate tranny. Probably good for closing up "misfired" holes in panels during the homebrew stage.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
KB1IAW

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 07:57:36 AM »

Several of us used that product to build some 6 meter halo antennas. The circular tubing is "welded" to the mounting plate. I have my doubts about the strength of this product too but some of these antennas have been in use for more than 2 years. Mine has been mounted at the top of my tower for nearly a year. We'll see.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/6mloop.html

* tower zoom.jpg (162.75 KB, 800x600 - viewed 426 times.)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:08:58 AM »

there are many companies marketing a similar product. It is basically a "white metal" or "pot metal" alloy. I have used it for many years with reasonable results. It is basically more of a solder than a weld as you are NOT melting and fusing the base metal. It is definately technique sensitive and takes a little getting used to to do some of the repairs that you see them do at the display shows. You can do some interesting things with that stuff. (like solder a piece of galvanized pipe to a piece of aluminum) however you have to keep in mind that it has a pretty low tensile strength and you cannot use it for serious structural strength jobs.  You also must keep in mind that it is NO substitute for the TIG machine that I have here at work. For low strength jobs it is fine, and I always keep some on hand just in case. York welding supply used to sell a pretty good one called "Aladdin 3 in 1 rod"

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015