The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:56:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heavy Metal Rally - Results  (Read 8965 times)
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 10:58:52 PM »

Ray, from Electric Radio, received a grand total of six logs for the Heavy Metal Rally contest. With all the hype posted on the board, one would think there would have been more entries. Winner, and results, are in the February 2008 issue (Issue 225).

Peat,

You take an active roll in Christmas each year I assume. Do you write to Santa?

Not a criticism Peat but I think most here don't look for the lime light, but rather a warm glow on a special night. Keep it up Ray!

Mike
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 03:38:53 AM »

Peat,
You take an active roll in Christmas each year I assume. Do you write to Santa?

Not a criticism Peat but I think most here don't look for the lime light, but rather a warm glow on a special night. Keep it up Ray!

Mike

Participant "limelight" wasn't my point, if you read my other posts.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 08:20:46 PM »

I was a participant in the event as an operating event, but did not send in a log.  I worked LOTS of stations, and was on for many, many hours.

I like the event, and support Ray etal, but quite honestly, if one expects an event to be taken seriously as a (even in fun) competitive event (as I say, even if it's just for "fun"), the rules have to be reasonable, CLEAR and FAIR.  This is, unfortunatly (sorry to be critical, but my goal is to provide honest feedback) not the case with the current heavy metal rally rules.

The lack of logs speaks for itself - people like fair, clear, even and honest rules for contests, even "fun" ones.  Imagine a Cub Scout "Pinewood Derby" (those who have boys in scouts or were scouts themselves know about this event) if the rules said something like

"All cars must weight 5 ounces or less.  The car that wins the most races is the fastest car except if the car used square headed nails instead of round headed nails to hold in the wheels, in which case the next fastest car with round headed wheel nails will be declared the winner except that extra points will be given to the car that the crowd cheers on the loudest except of course cars that made from expensive and very hard to carve Southern Yellow Pine will be awarded one extra point for every race as opposed to cars made from soft Pine (what does the type of pine have to do with the speed of the car?).... "

You get the idea  Wink

Sure, they should perhaps have a category for the fastest car made from Southern Yellow Pine, and maybe the fastest car with square nails and the fastest with round nails, and a special award for the most loudly cheered, and the best looking, and fun "awards" for the worst carving job, etc. etc. etc, but the point is, with standard, even rules there *WOULD* be a FASTEST car, and then there would be winners in sub-categories.  No "but if's" or "except for" or stuff like that.

I have proposed a set of rules in another post for the HMR as a point of discussion (I could find the post if interested).   But, the point of this is:  The current rules do not encourage participation.  The participation is in spite of the rules  Shocked

Just my .02

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 08:22:34 PM »

I must have missed something "Peat"  How's ur BTU content?  Wink  They say the best is from the highlands.

Oh gads, now I have to wait 'till after Prez. day to get my issue.  Didn't pay for first class I guess.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »

I was a participant in the event as an operating event, but did not send in a log.  I worked LOTS of stations, and was on for many, many hours.

I like the event, and support Ray etal, but quite honestly, if one expects an event to be taken seriously as a (even in fun) competitive event (as I say, even if it's just for "fun"), the rules have to be reasonable, CLEAR and FAIR.  This is, unfortunatly (sorry to be critical, but my goal is to provide honest feedback) not the case with the current heavy metal rally rules.

The lack of logs speaks for itself - people like fair, clear, even and honest rules for contests, even "fun" ones.  Imagine a Cub Scout "Pinewood Derby" (those who have boys in scouts or were scouts themselves know about this event) if the rules said something like

"All cars must weight 5 ounces or less.  The car that wins the most races is the fastest car except if the car used square headed nails instead of round headed nails to hold in the wheels, in which case the next fastest car with round headed wheel nails will be declared the winner except that extra points will be given to the car that the crowd cheers on the loudest except of course cars that made from expensive and very hard to carve Southern Yellow Pine will be awarded one extra point for every race as opposed to cars made from soft Pine (what does the type of pine have to do with the speed of the car?).... "

You get the idea  Wink

Sure, they should perhaps have a category for the fastest car made from Southern Yellow Pine, and maybe the fastest car with square nails and the fastest with round nails, and a special award for the most loudly cheered, and the best looking, and fun "awards" for the worst carving job, etc. etc. etc, but the point is, with standard, even rules there *WOULD* be a FASTEST car, and then there would be winners in sub-categories.  No "but if's" or "except for" or stuff like that.

I have proposed a set of rules in another post for the HMR as a point of discussion (I could find the post if interested).   But, the point of this is:  The current rules do not encourage participation.  The participation is in spite of the rules  Shocked

Just my .02

Regards,

Steve

I agree that the "rules" were really unclear.  Right down to the actual operating starting and finish times (GMT or local time or ??).  If it is going to be a competition, then there needs to be a clear understanding of the rules so that everyone has a clear shot at "winning".

Shame on me!!...I didn't send in my log either.  I really had a great time participating as W9T and it was sure nice to hear all of the great AM activity. 

One reflection that I had, that was also mentioned by others, is that much of the activity was round table QSOs and it was difficult to properly record exchanges to apply to any sort of point totals for actual QSOs.  Again... I agree, if it is going to be considered a competition, we need some meaningful rules for everyone to follow.

Anyway, it was great fun and I certainly enjoyed talking with everyone and enjoying great AM operation.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015