The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:15:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions Wanted on Problem with a Pair of 3-500Z Filaments in Series...  (Read 18214 times)
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 08:52:26 AM »

I take a PL259 adapter to BNC or N and move on myself. I have not used a pl259 since jsertrola days. I haven't used on in theshack since about 1974. Yes I used to tin the shield so solder would flow easier. The trick is a lot of heat and move fast.

I never tin the braid, that makes it too difficult to get the connector on. Like Frank says:
"use a lot of heat and move quickly". this is a good app for one of those big, manly
Weller 240 / 325w big soldering guns. If you try to use a little girlie soldering iron you just cant get emough heat to make the solder flow.

I hate to see those wimpy S.O.B.'s who are afraid to solder the braid on their pl-259s. This is just asking for intermittant problems when you are running high powered equipment.
                                                     The Slab Bacon

I use one of these little pen torch things(crack torch?), load some slobber into one hole, then hit the connector imediately with a blast of air. (The canned keyboard cleaner) Do the remaining 3 holes the same way. The air cools the connector off fast and keeps the heat from ruining the center insulation. Takes practice to control the heat but it works like a charm.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 11:54:15 AM »

Frank said: "I never tin the braid, that makes it too difficult to get the connector on. Like Frank says:"

Yes, that can be a problem. What I've ended up doing is to quickly coat the shield liberally with a smooth (no bumps) layer of solder with a torch. Then use a flat file to make it even smoother and perfectly round. This extra filing takes maybe 15 seconds to do. The connector will then screw onto the coax and the solder flows and connects very well through the holes when added on the outside.

I use a torch and believe in the "a lot of heat quickly" then immediately cool with a paper towel dipped in alcohol.  Say goodbye to intermitant shields when QRO.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 12:20:29 PM »

Guys, keep in mind that the pl-259 connector was designed specifically for RG-8 /213 type cable running at 50 ohms. Even if you melt most of the insulation (like with foam type coasses, the center conductor is still kept centered by the design of the connector. As long as you are carefull with the prepping of the braid before soldering, you should not develop a short. Just simply let the connector set still for a few minutes until the slobber sets.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015