The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:22:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM on 80 sans "window"  (Read 9571 times)
N8LGU

« on: December 15, 2006, 10:19:10 AM »

Wow!! As the clock swept past 12:01 EST 80M transformed itself into what I remember as the "magic" band I remember as a Novice listener in 1962.
    With all the AM activity spread from 3600-4000kc, we no longer sound like a "minority" oddball antique group. We sounded like the rather large fraternaty that we are!
    Since we were not confined to 3880 and 3885, our numbers and signal and operational quality could be heard by all.
    I suggest we keep it up. Don't go back to the habit of hanging out on the "window".
    What do you say, guys? Isn't this fantastic?

"Rock Cave Dave"
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 11:57:20 AM »

Good working Dave in the Cave last night !

I would love to see a screen shot of anyone's panadapter at Midnight, straight up.

Seeing all those carriers, straight up on the display, would be a classic screen saver !

Last night for the first time I brought my G4 PowerBook computer out to the Radio Lodge and used our wi-fi connection to the fiber optic in the house to combine some communications technology spanning 60 years. 

Felt amazing that it all came together that way for a very enjoyable night on the radio.

Psst:  Don't tell Gary I had the computer out there. I swore I'd never allow one amongst the cherished artifacts.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 12:49:44 PM »

Man I forgot to turn on my SDR to watch the spectrum. Wasn't hard to find signals even through the cosmic backwash
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 03:08:39 PM »

Yes, it was really quite amazing last night. The band literally lit up at 12:00 AM EST, right to the second, as soon as WWV hit the magic time, with scores of AM and SSB stations taking advantage of the new operating privileges. Just prior to the witching hour, you could hear a number of stations tuning up below 3.8 Mhz, some with very strapping carriers.

Too bad band condx were so poor. Still, I had great QSOs with Tim, WA1HLR; Joe, WA2PJP; and Todd, K1Q. Paul, I would have liked to have spoken with you for a longer period,  but K3V was obviously attracting a lot of attention, and there was quite a waiting line.

I think that Timtron summed it up best last night, just before we all signed off at around 2:10 AM; the whole experience was really quite ethereal, surrealistic, and unlike anything we've heard on 75/80M since probably the 1960s. This was probably what 75M AM was like up until the late 1950s. What a unique pleasure to have an extended QSO with literally zero QRM from any SSB stations!

On a side note, the month of December marks the centennial celebration of two world-changing inventions; Fessenden's first AM broadcast (Dec. 24, 1906), as well as DeForest's invention of the triode vacuum tube (Dec. 31, 1906). I, for one, will be operating on the 100th anniversary of each of these truly incredible inventions, in honor of these great men who made possible the basic technology that ultimately enabled this hobby that we love, and owe so much to. I look forward to celebrating these events and these men later this month.

Best 73,

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 04:09:44 PM »

I had a 20/9 noise level and didn't have a chance...I gave up around 12:20.  I did copy one set of ducks on ~3720 commenting about all the AM signals below 3700... klc

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 05:48:48 PM »

Had both the SDR and the 756 PRO II monitoring 3700 prior to the witching hour. both spectrum scopes were set to +/- 100 KHz. At 12 midnight EST, 3600 to 3800 lit up with lots of modulating signals. By 1 AM, roughly 50% (give or take) of the signals disappeared. Tuning around with the 756, at roughly 12:06, I heard a SSB QSO already complaining about an adjacent AM QSO. Some things never change. We even had one station, who probably had a "fast" clock, calling CQ in the "new" area 90 seconds before the bell rang.

1JJ, you missed a great aurora opening on 6 prior to the bell ringing.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 08:00:57 PM »

So far, I have noticed a very friendly, laid back attitude on the new frequencies.  Haven't heard any complaining or griping, or fighting over a frequency.  Kinda reminds me of what 160 used to be like when the band was first opened up.  There is plenty of room for everybody.  There was an inrush of activity when the expansion first went into effect, but so far this evening I have noticed less activity.  I suspect activity will drop off as the novelty wears off. 

The 3885 region seems deserted.  But haven't heard any General class AM QSO's above 3800 so far this weekend.  Maybe with the band open to Generals all way down to 3800, there will be some AM activity spread over the 3800-3900 region as well.

And listening, I seem to detect a certain feeling of excitement in the conversations on the air.  Maybe this will be the shot in the arm that ham radio needs.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 10:25:55 AM »

I had the unique pleasure of working W2ZE first on 3714 on cw from 2339 to 2353 hrs on December 14.
This frequency was very close to both of our old Novice xtal frequencies.  This was the last cw qso for us in the old Novice band.

Then, as both the clock and the calendar clicked over, I got on 3725 and spoke the words, "Zero Hour."  W2ZE immediately answered me, and hence began a new page in Ham Radio history.  It was really fun to be a part of that history.

Spread out, everybody, and enjoy the new privileges.  And while we're at it, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

K2VHerb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 11:33:16 AM »

So where do we land this space ship 3785, 3685 or back to 3885???
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 11:40:55 AM »

Frank, just like Area 51, the spaceships will come and go at random times and sites.

You will know you are in the right place when your panadapter shows something like this:

* Area51.jpg (32.43 KB, 200x149 - viewed 521 times.)
Herb K2VH

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 02:04:32 PM »

So where do we land this space ship 3785, 3685 or back to 3885???

Frank,

Like the title of this thread says, "AM on 80 sans window.

We don't have to land it anywhere.  It just keeps going wherever it wants to go.

vH

K2VHerb

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 05:33:39 PM »

As of 5PM ET there were AM QSOs on

Spread out and keep it that way!
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 05:46:12 PM »

Yes Steve ,

The NEW AM window is 3600 - 4000kc and lets not box ourselves in like in the past.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 06:41:31 PM »

I kind of like 3775 close to DX window antenna performance what say mr. Vu.
but yup we own it all

Paul,
I heard there is also a woman behind every tree out there.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 11:23:08 PM »

I got the Apache fired up and tuned through 75/80M tonight but the band seems to be suffering from 'over exposure to the sun!' I was pleased that the Apache lit up and worked after being idle for quite a number of years. I did have to exercise the bandswitch just to get drive to the 6146's.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 11:32:51 PM »

I know; the terrible condx on 75/80M are really disappointing, since old Sol did his thang. Last time I was on was Friday AM right after the witching hour for the bandwarming, but with the sad state of the band currently, there is no point in firing up the rig.

This too shall pass, (and I hope real soon at that)! My need for a radio fix is not so bad that I feel like firing up on 2M though.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
WA3VJB
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 11:36:51 PM »

Calling OE4XLC right now  ---  he's hearing Iceland and Greece, Arkansas N5NR (!!) but not me  pshaw  !!

3800Kc  at 0437GMT
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 08:36:38 AM »

Bruce said:
I know; the terrible condx on 75/80M are really disappointing, since old Sol did his thang. Last time I was on was Friday AM right after the witching hour for the bandwarming, but with the sad state of the band currently, there is no point in firing up the rig.

You're not just 'Whistlin' Dixie' Bruce. I know the flare and the wave of solar generated particles have passed, but the upper section of the ionosphere must have been saturated and may begin to settle down. I had to work yesterday but I came home around 4PM with hopes of finally trying out my luck on the newly allocated freqs. for the first time, but I was severly dissappointed. Hell, if worse comes to worse, I'll re-apply for my special event call sign again. Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2006, 12:23:37 PM »

Have been away for the past few days so I missed the festivities.  Turned the RX on 3880 this morning.  SSBers there hrd to say "if they want a fight they got a fight.  They abandoned the AM window so we need to show them that we are here to stay.  And when CW is outlawed we will take the whole band"

My thoughts were the same as Flounder's in Animal House "Oh boy this is gonna be great".

So Much has changed overnight that I dont think I can handle it.   VJB had a newfangled computer in his shack working wireless wifi!!
GFZ Frank has a hollow state device in his shack and actually made a contact with it!!

The day I abandon 3885 will be the day they pry my crystal out of my cold dead fingers.....sonny....

W2ILA

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2006, 01:00:41 PM »

Actually, with all the open space now, we don't need to have an AM QSO in progress on 3885 and another on 3880.  That leaves only a maximum 2500~ clear on the overlapping sidebands.  That has been a thorn on the AM window for years, hearing the monkeychatter from the adjacent AM QSO.  So if we continue to use 3885, let the idiots fire up on 3880 if it is clear.  Of course, if we are there first, they'll just have to learn how to use the VFO on their appliances.

For the Generals, I would hope there would still be some activity in the vicinity of 3885, and maybe more down in the vicinity of 3825.  I recall in the mid-to-late 70's when AM first started its "comeback", Generals couldn't go below 3900 and later 3890, so 75m AM was virtually off-limits to Generals, since at that time the "electronic ghetto" was so jam packed with slopbucket that there was seldom a clear spot to start a QSO using either mode.

We'll have to wait and see if the no-code newcomers and upgrades are numerous enough to create a new electronic ghetto or generate enough congestion to recreate the AM vs SSB wars of yore.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N8LGU

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 01:45:02 PM »

I suspect there will be a ton of tech to general class upgrades with a tremendous influx clamouring to get on to 75M.
    We need to oppose the idea of an AM "Window". General AM'ers should tactfully use 3805-3995kc. Indeed, there are enough of us, now, to spread out from 3605 to 3995kc and let hamdom see all the AM'ers. I talked to K2XI on an FT-920 who wants to get a plate modulated transmitter and join us.
    With all this bandwidth, I am hoping truce between SSB and AM. However, once we accept the idea of, or admit to, an AM window, then we'll be back where we started.

"Rock Cave Dave"
WA3VJB
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 05:56:41 PM »

Personally I do not expect much of  a rush to obtain a ham license now that morse code is not part of the test.  Yes, certainly a few people out there felt precluded from an HF ticket because of "having" to learn to code, but I really have not seen much to document that there's a bunch of additional people waiting in the wings to join up.
Herb K2VH

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 11:35:40 AM »

Personally I do not expect much of  a rush to obtain a ham license now that morse code is not part of the test.  Yes, certainly a few people out there felt precluded from an HF ticket because of "having" to learn to code, but I really have not seen much to document that there's a bunch of additional people waiting in the wings to join up.

I agree with Paul.  Five wpm isn't really all that much tougher than no words per minute.  If they didn't get their Generals with 5, why would they bother with zero?

Ten Cents plus a Post Toastie Boxtop Roll Eyes

vH

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 12:04:03 PM »

I agree with W2ILA, but do we really want to find 3885 now and forever
quacking with SB, spreading  out is great but I hope the "Tall Ships" make an
appearance on 'ol 3885 now and then.   I look at it as a big hamfest (like hosstraders)
That fest has a common meeting place for AMer's.  No meeting place(s) then no meetings (qso's)
Am'ers got to meet somewhere on the band.  Granted, just not ONLY on 3885, but
3725, 3825ish, etc. etc.  Spread out but don't forget the old neighborhood. 
Or the SB will move in.  I guess it will sort out in time.......My 2 cents. 

Sincerely,
Jim

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 02:52:12 PM »

3885 is still listed as the AM Calling Frequency in the revised band plans.
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html
Monitor, call, meet, move still works

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015