The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:27:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that's a silly question..  (Read 13292 times)
n3lrx
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:31:44 AM »

Hey All,
Since most of you know I'm building a MOSFET transmitter and I am bound to have a ton of stupid questions rather than starting a new topic each time I thought I'd start one and just ask all my questions within one topic as they come to mind. This project is well beyond my know how but I'm going to give it my best shot and hopefully it will work.. Any help I can get in the process would be greatly appreciated.

So, to get this started I have one question.. The majority of the parts I am working with are SMD's in an 0805 package, some larger but not by much! I'm having a hell of a time keeping things in place to solder them. Even with tweezers it doesn't help me much, my hands aren't very stable so I still find up playing football with the parts while I try glue them down with a blob of hot solder. Heat is another thing that scares me. I'm not sure how much heat these little proton sized components can take. With having to take several shots at soldering them I hope I'm not overheating them..

So my question is, can I use a dab of Super Glue to glue all the components down to the PCB then go around with the slobbering iron and add a dab of spooge to the leads? Since I've never worked with SMD's or Super Glue as a soldering tool for that matter, I'm not sure if it will eat the parts, the PCB or possibly become conductive. So before I make an attept at it I thought I'd ask first.

As I said before there will be pleanty of stupid questions to follow so please bear with me..
TNX de YellRX
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 12:40:04 AM »

liquid rosin flux?Huh    klc

What? Me worry?
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:09:08 AM »

try soldering paste.  (solder ground into past and mixted with resin IIRC)  its pretty slimy sticky... should hold them down long enough and you won't have to worry about the glue or what ever messing up your joint...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 08:06:07 AM »

Back in 1985 when SMDs were new, my senior design project was a microwave VCO using B-E junction capacitance as a varactor, and I used SMD components.  My project advisor was an engineer from E.F. Johnson, and the superglue method of holding 'em down is what he recommended and it worked well.

Since then I've found that a faster way is to touch a well-tinned iron to each pad where the SMD component will go, then hold the component in place with a toothpick while you heat the component leads or pads or whatever.  The component will suck up the solder blob that you previosuly placed with your tinned iron.

BTW it's not worth trying to unsolder SMD components.  If you screw up or they fry, just crush 'em with a needlenose.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 08:53:45 AM »

Lightly tin one pad on the PCB.  Hold the device with a curved blunt point pair of tweezers or curved needle nose pliers, place it into position and while still holding it with the tweezers  heat the tinned pad and the device should fall into place. Once you're satisfied with its posiiton, the device is now secured on one end and it should be flat on the board at this point. Solder the other end of the device.  Resolder or reheat the first pad to ensure that a good solder connection is made. 

A small rubber band around the tweezers helps hold the component.  I find a small pair of curved needle nose pliers works best with a light rubber band around the handles.  The extra weight of the pliers seems to steady-out the little tremors in my hands.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 09:11:51 AM »

John said:
BTW it's not worth trying to unsolder SMD components.  If you screw up or they fry, just crush 'em with a needlenose

In my Navy days we had IC's and 'flat-packs' that were spot welded to the runs, (mind you, this was '70's technology). We would cut out the fault IC and cut as much of the lead off the (gold plated) foil run to preserve as much contact space as possible.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
n3lrx
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 09:06:44 PM »

Kewl.. I found some stuff to suit the purpose thanks! I didn't know they made a soldering paste specifically for adhering SMD's so I have some now.. After several hours I only have a handful of parts soldered on but, it's a start! Might take me a bit longer than expected to complete but we'll see..

Next question.. Anyone have any 430pf 400v +/-5% Silver Micas? (Brown Gum Drops) Don't care if it's new or used as long as it's got some leads to solder to it I'll take it! I thought I had enough to do the job but I'm one short. Since all the other parts are ordered and in route I'd hate to pay a minimum $5.00 shipping fee for a 50c part! If you've got one to spare I'll paypal you a couple of bucks! Thanks!
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 09:31:49 PM »

BTW it's not worth trying to unsolder SMD components.  If you screw up or they fry, just crush 'em with a needlenose.

If you need to de-solder SMT parts, a heat gun will get the job done with out damaging the board. Hold the board upside down, and aim at the part to desolder... tap once in a while, and they will fall off. 

Of course if its a densely packed board,  and you have a wide nozzle on your heat gun, you get some "extra" parts coming off too  Wink 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 10:05:20 PM »

OK, here's Old Bacon's Long, Old-Buzzard Transmission about surface-mount soldering.

My company has a PC board designer who solders the parts in for us too.  An interesting combination - anyway, he likes a pair of Elsyn "Loner" temperature-controlled irons, and he tins a little blob of solder onto each pad, and he puts flux on them, and the component, and then he heats both ends of the component using the irons like chopsticks.  The solder and surface tension pulls the part to a nice center position easily.  As for the soldering iron, I used to see Elsyn in Contact East, but not lately.  The less expensive 4449-TL Solomon units from Marlon P.Jones & Associates ( www.mpja.com ) don't look like much, but they are just as good - only, watch their grounding!  They have a superior ground - IF YOU HOOK IT UP!!!  More on this below.

Flux is crucial; I use either 'no-clean' liquid rosin flux, or I use a relatively mild RMA (rosin mildly activated).  Either way, I clean it off with 99% isopropyl alcohol.  I use little the little pint bottles of 99% isopropyl alcohol from Safeway Supermarkets. Much cheaper than buying 99.4% anhydrous, and paying through the nose.  The no-clean flux is just about as good as the RMA flux, and it cleans off more easily.  I'm going to use up the RMA flux, though, because I got a gallon of it, and it's not that hard to clean off.

Our PC board designer / part installer uses water-soluble flux; the solder positively flashes at you, and you never run out of flux remover (tap water) - but wash it off quickly when you are done, because water-soluble flux is active when cold, like acid flux, and it rots the surface quick.  He uses a quart-sized air compressor to blow the residue out when he de-fluxes the boards, which is definitely a good idea with that kind of flux.  It would probably be a good idea with rosin flux too, but I don't bother.  I flood the parts, coax the alcohol out with a little piece of a paper towel, and I keep them warm with a heat gun as they dry.

63-37 or 62-2-36 (silver) solder are important, they flow best.  I recently learned why plumbers don't use electronic solder on plumbing - it flows too well, and drips out of the joint!  They want plasticy solder, so they used a 50-50 lead-tin mix so it would stay put.  But now they all use lead free solders, probably blended with the same idea in mind.  We, however, want free-flowing solder.

Radio Shack's little 0.15" diameter 62-2-36 electrical silver solder is great.

I use 63-37 or 62-2-36 solder, it hardly matters.  Maybe the silver is better for less leaching from capacitor leads.  Canadian Space Agency says that you should scrape off gold plating before soldering, because of leaching - but I don't, and it's no problem.

Use a temperature-controlled iron. These don't have to be real expensive.  I use a single iron (Solomon - 4449-TL at Marlon P. Jones & Assoc., Inc. ( www.mpja.com ). These irons are low-cost and reliable, and there is a tip selection, but watch their grounding!!!  I did experience some static damage because I didn't notice that they do not ground to the AC outlet ground, they have a ground terminal like a power supply.  That's probably a good idea, because those AC grounds can be awful.  But make sure you connect their terminals on the back of the base unit to ground, or you may be very sorry!  (This grounding arrangement makes for superior grounding, though.  Just pay attention to that with these babies!!!  Yeah, they only spec +/- 10 degree F control, while competitive irons will spec +/- 5 or 6 - but in the real world, you will move at least 25 to 50 degrees before you will notice any change in soldering performance.  +/- 10 degrees F is just fine.  Oh, and these irons will discolor immediately when heated.  Ignore it, and save money.  I really like these irons.

I normally use a single iron for my work, because two irons take up too much room in my crazy production environment.  But I have soldered with two, and it is a really nice way to do SMT work. I really worry about tip grounding with two irons; it is a good idea to add a ground jumper between the tips.

I like using a single iron, because mostly I do rework, and select-in-test part selection, because the designs are prototypes on nice boards with soldermask and silkscreen.  I like thick-film SMT resistors and pretty much any SMT ceramic you can find in Mouser or Digi-Key.  Some of the 10uF ceramics are too thinly laminated and they are too fragile, so use the bigger ones for a given voltage in the high-current portions of power circuits.

I remove and re-use SMT parts all the time.  Just be really gentle with them, and if they seem damaged, don't re-use them.  The ends can get ripped loose.

My boss always says "Flux! Flux!" - and he's right, a generous dose of good flux makes it MUCH nicer and easier.  I use liquid rosin flux,  MG Chemicals No-Clean Rosin, or Kester186 Rosin flux.  It doesn't seem too critical, any decent liquid rosin flux seems to work, but heavy RMA is harder to clean off after soldering.

I put flux on the pads before I solder.  I tin one pad and solder it first.  I may put a little more flux on the little solder blob too.

I hold the parts with a wooden stick about 1/8" in diameter, with chisel points like a flat-blade screwdriver, or with narrow-tip tweezers, and solder them like W1RKW says.

Use solder-wick to remove excess solder.  If the solder doesn't like to flow into the wick, put a drop or two of flux on the wick.  Shoop!

Clean up after soldering.  I put 99% isopropyl alcohol into little bottles with #20 AWG needle applicators from Contact East, Part Number 121-725 at www.contacteast.com , although lately they transfer you to www.stanleysupplyservices.com - it's the same place.  I use these bottles for the liquid flux, too.  (Those darn brush-bottles always got left open and knocked over.  Arrggh!)  If the needle gets plugged with hardened flux, just heat it a little with the iron.

If the flux is stubborn, I scrub it off with alcohol and a wooden stick and a little torn off piece of a paper towel, or a Q-tip, to get the stubborn flux spots, then I shake the alcohol off of the board, and then flush with some more alcohol.

Always help the flux remover dry with a heat gun.  This is important, because the alcohol cools the board when it evaporates, and the cool surface collects cruddy condensation from the air.  The heat gun keeps the board above the dew point, so that doesn't happen.

Sometimes as a final wash, I use a small spritz of the horrible smelling carbon-tetrachloride/CFC or ethyl-acetate type stuff; it really is a strong cleaner, but it's expensive.  Wipe it off with a paper towel or a Q-tip; otherwise the pollution will just redeposit when the solvent evaporates, and don't forget to use the heat gun either, so that goop in the air doesn't condense on the board as the solvent evaporates.

Get an anti-static work mat - but don't let them rip you off for it - and ground it.  Wear an anti-static wrist strap, and ground it too.  You can use gloves to keep fingerprints off the boards, and chemicals off your hands; that's nice.  I usually don't, unless I'm doing something really, really critical.

I build equipment that flies in space.  These techniques work fine. 

I don't know much about the lead-free solders yet.  I think they will be OK, they just require more heat, and they don't flow quite as well or look quite as nice.  They may work better with slightly different fluxes. What worries me with lead-free solder is the tin whiskers I am hearing about.  That stinks!!!

And now, to wrap it up: how to remove modern multi-pin ICs from PC boards.

I have removed several 68 pin ICs, and one 200 pin package IC, without damaging them, using special low-temperature solder.  Digi-Key ( www.digikey.com ),  Part Number SMD32-ND - it's really, really expensive, but it's worth it.  This stuff is not meant for use as solder, but it's great for removing this sort of part.  I think they sell this in smaller quantities; we do enough nutty jobs here that we sprung for the big tube of it.

Put flux on the leads and wick off the old solder fairly well, then put more flux on them and put a blob of this solder all over the pins.  Heat it up good, hotter than you would normally heat such things, but not red hot.  This solder melts at such a low temperature that it will stay melted for a real long time, allowing you to melt it all around the chip and finagle the chip off the board with minimum damage to all things concerned.  This was a real discovery!  The idea about the heat gun to melt the solder ought to work great with this stuff, and make it easier on everything. (Well, everything but the wallet.  This stuff is pricey!)  By the way, there are such things as hot-air soldering tools, and you can do very neat work with them!

As I say, this super-low temperature solder is really poor as electronic solder, so wick it off good and clean up before soldering the replacement part onto the board.  It also comes in a kit with some vacuum-grippers that can help lift the chip off the board without making a big mess.

Tweezers - check out Contact East's selection. I like their SMD tweezers, especially Excelta Style 103 and Style 104, but their Erem Style 1 through 5 are fine and less expensive.

Unless you are very near-sighted, and you can just take your glasses off and work at ten inches or so, get a head mounted binocular magnifier - Contact East 407-029 or 407-030 are good.  Then you can see what you are doing, and scare burglars as well!!

Good luck!

Bacon, WA3WDR

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 11:51:35 AM »

Excellent post Bacon! I think I'll copy it to the Handbook Hints & Kinks Section. Yes, flux should be used on almost any soldering job, SMT or otherwise. With proper application of flux, the correct type of solder and an iron a the right temp, it's almost impossible to get a cold solder joint.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »

Yes, great article for the archives, Bacon.

Being out of the electronic pro loop, I didn't know what "SMD" stood for until recently. I've worked with SMD on my FT-1000D mods, but forgot what it meant.

Anyway, I placed a web order with Mouser for about 150 parts to build two audio FET cathode driver boards.

The parts arrived and I sat down to assemble. I was shocked to find everything was the size of sand pepples! ... Grin  I then considered building the boards with these homo parts, but quickly snapped outa the stupor.

I returned the whole mess and reordered the full-size stuff. 

That was an interesting experience I don't want to repeat soon. 

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 07:17:23 PM »

I am on the road in San Diego and some soul is giving me free internet from my 7th story hotel room.

I can not see small stuff anymore either and it makes me mad too:  but I still like SMD and have gotten used to working under a mag light. I do not use any fancy techniques.

I Use ordinary stainless steel tweezers to hold the part and a good quality mag light. I also use a good quality thin rosin core solder and a small soldering tip. The small and cheap Antex iron works great.

I hold the part with the tweezers - solder the right pad and then solder the left pad (while applying solder). Occasionally you will need to remove excess solder with a fine solderwick braid.

These simple tools work on 0805 and SOT and SOIC parts with few problems. For removing parts, I like the Weller princess heat gun. Apply heat around the smd part until the solder melts and lift it off with the tweezers.

I have never fooled with paste flux or glue.

Cleanup should be done with q-tips and alcohol (Jack Daniels works best).

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 07:21:41 PM »

I am on the road in San Diego and some soul is giving me free internet from my 7th story hotel room.

I can not see small stuff anymore either and it makes me mad too:  but I still like SMD and have gotten used to working under a mag light. I do not use any fancy techniques.

I Use ordinary stainless steel tweezers to hold the part and a good quality mag light. I also use a good quality thin rosin core solder and a small soldering tip. The small and cheap Antex iron works great.

I hold the part with the tweezers - solder the right pad and then solder the left pad (while applying solder). Occasionally you will need to remove excess solder with a fine solderwick braid.

These simple tools work on 0805 and SOT and SOIC parts with few problems. For removing parts, I like the Weller princess heat gun. Apply heat around the smd part until the solder melts and lift it off with the tweezers.

I have never fooled with paste flux or glue.

Cleanup should be done with q-tips and alcohol (Jack Daniels works best).

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 09:07:30 AM »

The KISS method since man has only 2 hands is to break off a little hunk of solder and place it next to 1 SMT joint. One hand holds the part in place the hand #2 holds the soldering iron. Once one joint is soldered the other can done with the normal method. The hunk of solder has built in flux and solder. When I was lab supervisor years ago a repair girl taught me this KISS method. gfz
n3lrx
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 05:16:34 PM »

OK, Got another couple for you guys..

I am considering using a Conar RF signal generator for a VFO but, I am also wondering how hard it would be to use a Realistic DX-300 (almost real!) SW Receiver for a VFO. I thought it might be cool if I could tap into the receivers tuner, that way where ever the receiver is tuned the xmitter will be on the same frequency. Within the resonant frequency of the transmitter of course.. It's tuned for 78m not general coverage HF.

If it's not possible I can stick to using the sig/gen but I wonder is there anything I need to do to use it? I was going to try to feed the output into the xtal osc using a .01 cap or something to block any DC that might be on the xtal line. It's got a variable output so I can turn it way down to almost null or upto about 400mw. 
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 07:49:02 PM »

The DX-300 uses a Wadley-loop synthesizer and IIRC it upconverts so the first LO will tune upwards of 45 MHz (I could be wrong on this, I've never delved into one).  Further, the synth in the DX-300 is fairly noisy and you'll make a lot of enemies if you use it for a VFO.

ANd consider the enemies you'll make if you use that Conar sig gen.  It's not nearly stable enough to use with an exmitter.  It'll work FB for testing into a dummy load, but PLEASE don't try and use it on the air Tongue

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
n3lrx
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 10:00:19 PM »

OK Thanks!
I'll look into building a VFO for it then. Until then I guess I could use a rock.

When I do build a VFO are there any changes I need to make to couple the two? Or will the transmitter respond to the VFO's output same way as it would if a crystal is plugged in?

I just figured that the Conar would do since it's Digital, not sure if it's PLL'd or not but I doubt it. It's the newer one, 821(?) I've also got an older one the 820(?) I think, I'll have to check, they're in the shed at home and I'm at work. Would have been nice to have something with a digital readout tho..

I could probably handle building a simple VFO but I doubt  I could tackle anything like a PLL. As far as the enemies I'd make with the Conar might make a nice 'SBE' huh?? Who cares about a few Slopbucket Enemies anyway.. Smiley Time to play follow the monkey! LOL
n3lrx
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 02:20:51 AM »

Well,
Here's what I've got so far.. Most of the parts are on there are still a few on order due in any day now. But it's coming together allot faster than expected. Still not sure if I'll tackle another project like this but we'll see.. Not much to see here. unfortunately there are no glowing bottles..   Sad

The RF Board

The Modulator - Power Supply Board

Once all the parts are soldered on it's time to wire it up, mount it and give it a smoke test! With any luck all the smoke will come out of the antenna and not from the transmitter!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 09:39:41 AM »

Depends upon the input impedance, etc., of the circuit whether it'll just accept a VFO input or not.  You might have to rig up a simple step up or step down toroid xformer, or a buffer stage or something.

I designed a simple VFO with a square wave output (with adjustable duty cycle) suitable for driving a TTL level input.  PM me if you want a schematic.

73 John

WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 10:08:51 AM »

Bacon,
just read your good old buzzard. I graduated from the wood stick to the small hunk of solder. It is a lot easier. All the other stuff is good information. I've worked on 883 and space hybrids also. carbon tet cleans very well when you need to clean a lot of flux.  2 irons usually cooks the part. I like to unsolder it as much as possible then cut it off the pad with a scaple. Gull wing leads I like to heat and slide the blade under the wet jiont. A lot easier on the pad and part.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »

Hi Frank,

Yep, I have used the solder itself to position the part with the single iron approach.  With proper temperature control of the iron, this is possible.  And I only have two hands, so one holds the iron and the other holds the solder, and it makes sense to do it that way if it works.

That assembly guy says that he solders one side of the part, and then solders the other, allowing it too be crooked, as long as it is at least soldered.  Then he adds some more flux and he goes back down the parts row by row with two irons real quick, to center them and smooth out the joints.

The difference is that he is just building from a list; I have to rework and set the thing up, so I have a meter and a scope and generators and monitors, and a computer, keyboard, mouse and monitor and such, so I don't have room for two irons.  I don't get damage problems, except once in a while if I re-use a part that I removed by accident while soldering something nearby, or one that I removed in haste while prototyping, it might be broken.  "Hmmm, 10.5K isn't quite right here; where is the 10.0K I just pulled off of Q5?  Oops."  That only happens in hurried situations.

When removing two-terminal or three terminal SMT parts, I leave solder on the part and touch the iron to the leads, switching quickly from lead to lead until the solder is all melted at the same time, and then I push the thing off of its pads with the iron or with a stick or tweezers.  I don't grab it with the tweezers, because that sucks away heat.

On fine-pitch ICs I sometimes slip #30 wire behind the lead, then heat and carefully pull the #30 wire out to lift the pin.  That's good for lifting a single pin off of its pad, but the low-temp solder is better and easier for a full IC removal.  Little knife blades would take away too much heat to slip them under the leads. Sometimes with really fine pitch leads, #30 is too big for that, and then the knife tip is about the only solution.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
n3lrx
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 01:44:08 AM »

OK, there comes a time when a man must humbly admit defeat.. I believe that time is long overdue.
So, Oh well, I'll just have to save up my pennies and get a REAL Glow in the dark radio! At least then I know I can work on it without a microscope! Unless anyone with a kind heart wants to try to resurrect this abortion I just created. I think Dr. Frankenstein did a better job on his creature. Looks like I won't be on the air by Christmas after all.

Maybe I should hold a mini hamfest to fund the purchase of a bottle transmitter with a decent amount of ass behind it!
n3lrx
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 01:40:03 AM »

OK,
On the output xformer it's a 2:4 (2 Turns Teflon + 4 Turns Enamel) I'm thinking about using Teflon for both primary and secondary. Does it really matter or is there some theory of inductance that requires the enamel?

So far I'm only missing about 10 parts, 4 of which I overlooked on my last order, a few diodes that I had questions about, and a cap that was not in the material list but it's silk screened onto the board, and in the scitzomatic.. Once I get confirmation on the phantom cap I'll order the last remaining parts.

After that it's time to smoke test it and lets hope all the smoke goes out the antenna and not in my face!

Progress So Far.. Sorry for the rez it's a cheap camera!

http://www.yellrx.com/classd/txer2.png
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 06:20:52 AM »

OK, there comes a time when a man must humbly admit defeat.. I believe that time is long overdue.
So, Oh well, I'll just have to save up my pennies and get a REAL Glow in the dark radio! At least then I know I can work on it without a microscope! Unless anyone with a kind heart wants to try to resurrect this abortion I just created. I think Dr. Frankenstein did a better job on his creature. Looks like I won't be on the air by Christmas after all.

Maybe I should hold a mini hamfest to fund the purchase of a bottle transmitter with a decent amount of ass behind it!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble !!!  This particular solid state transmitter might not have been a good one to start with !!  There are other, simpler to implement designs that are:

1) Bigger - easier to work with

2) Use as close to "standard" transmitter construction as possible (AKA tube-type of construction)

3) Have niceities such as a VFO, protection circuitry and so on..

4) Have been successfully built by BEGINNERS who have never built a transmitter before - proving the relative ease of construction

5) Run HIGH power  Grin :-) so you can STRAP when you're done  Wink

This RF amplifier was the first ever built by Karl, KD3CN and it worked the first time out !  This transmitter will run a CONSERVATIVE 400 + watts of carrier, and can be modulated 200% postive (you figure out the peak !).  The construction is standard, open and easy to get at.

Click to see the above picture in its native size

I take a certain degree of issue with "miniature" RF decks.  Power takes wire size, capacitor spacing, current capabilitity and the like.  And of course,
it just plain LOOKS better  Wink

When you recover from this bad experience, contact me (or anyone else who has done this).  We'd be glad to help and advise.

Talk later and Regards :-)

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 10:40:54 AM »

I saw the above transmitter come to life. As Steve said it came right up.
The only problem was an undersized fuse in the driver power supply.
Since we were at Hostraders a bigger fuse appeared in a couple minutes.
The only problem was the wood front panel. Your hands near it while transmitting changed the tuning a bit. No smoke was released.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015