The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:17:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160 tonite  (Read 3430 times)
W1IA

« on: November 08, 2006, 07:08:31 PM »

anyone for 1930 Khz
calling now...anyone around?

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
kc2ifr
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 07:13:36 PM »

Listening to u now Brent.......on my puter receiver. Maybe Ill get off my ass and go downstairs and fire up the rig.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 07:15:22 PM »

Boy I wouldn't think about getting on tonight. I just checked the Lightning map and there is a fat wide band of lightning that goes from the Great Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico. I suspect the same tomorrow until this front passes out to sea. Check it out.

https://thunderstorm.vaisala.com/tux/jsp/explorer/explorer.jsp

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 08:35:12 PM »

I like the geographic detail of the new Vaisala map, but I don't like the "lightning ray" shape of the discharge indicators, plus the color they use for the older strikes is easy to confuse with permanent geographic features.  They need to use something that contrasts better with the map, and return to simple dots to represent the spot where the lightning was detected, getting rid of those slanted zig-zag thingys.

Had I been in charge of designing the map, I would have made the scale for the age of the discharge analogous to a real physical phenomenon: white for the newest strikes, then yellow, orange,  red, and finally brownish red, representing the perceived glow from a white-hot piece of metal as it cools down.  That would also closely parallel the standard resistor and capacitor color codes in descending order.

That said, the map tells me it is not worthwhile to even fire up the filaments tonight.  I may go out to the shack and give a quick listen, but I'm not optimistic I'll hear anything but static crashes.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 08:57:20 PM »

Just took a listen. Lots of static and no one on. Cry
W1IA

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 10:46:41 PM »

check the dates guys...post was on the 8th....... Huh
bands are broken tonite...maybe shoot for tomorrow night though?

Been on 75 tonite fighting the noise Yuck!

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
KR4WI
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 10:47:12 PM »

I am having hard time hearing you on 75 mtrs, the static is very bad, and I dont like the new map. I liked the red dots. Matthew KR4WI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015