The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:07:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference if any between Enamel, Formvar, and Thermeleze?  (Read 4399 times)
n3lrx
« on: November 06, 2006, 06:25:04 PM »

What's the difference if any between Enamel, Formvar, and Thermeleze?
The skizmatic calls for #16 Enamel can I use any one of the above for the same function?
I Googled and found a few pages that led me to believe they are just trademark names for 'enamel wire' is that true?

I'm aware of the differences between nichrome and magnet wire, just not certain about these insulation terms.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 08:09:31 PM »

Just an off-the-top-of-the-head answer here:

I think that Enamel and Formvar are probably very similar, predate Thermaleze.

Thermeleze is an "enamel" coating that strips with the heat from a soldering iron, very convenient for many applications.  But it may not be as rugged as the old traditional enamel and Formvar coatings.

My guess is if you aren't doing much stripping and the application is phyically rough or high temperature, bear with the traditional enamel or Formvar wire.  I've re-wound a lot of electric motor coils with Formvar wire many years ago.

If the application is not physically tough or high temp., go with the easy stripping Thermeleze.  I've wired lots of prototype circuit boards with the Thermaleze.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 08:37:12 PM »

Enamel
Thermaleze
Formvar

worst to best. Thermaleze is a higher temperature enamel. When I worked at Andersen Labs we were supposed to use thermaleze wire in mil hybrids. Enamel wire you could tin with a soldering iron.
Thermaneze took a solder pot to make enough heat to tin. 
Formvar is very tuff and thick with a higher voltage break down.
n3lrx
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 03:31:34 PM »

Kewl.. Thanks!
Found some wire, Now the problem is getting my fat ass fingers to solder these grains of sand to the PCB! LOL I might need to bribe one of the Japanese Engineers from Mitsubishi while they're here to install the presses.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 03:40:09 PM »

You need to get a pair of tweezers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015