The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:50:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help on replacing caps in viking ll  (Read 3895 times)
KR4WI
« on: October 30, 2006, 09:20:14 PM »

Hello Group:  I have been replacing caps in my viking ll. I need to ask the folks with this tx if its ok to replace?

C7--with a ceramic disc
C8--This is the big wax cap behind the oil filled cap, replace it  with a orange drop
Also mine is missing R33/R34 22 ohm, off the 807 plate caps, would they be a reason someone has taken these out?

Thank you for sharing   Matthew KR4WI
ve6pg

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 12:14:40 AM »

...i see no problem...this shud werk ok...my viker doesnt have the 807 resistors ,and she werks fine...when u r in that thing,wire up a muffin fan to get the air moving inside....sucking out is best, there is no ventilation in that thing, except the perf top...not enuff....tim...sk...

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 08:59:15 AM »

Matt,
        the resistors in the plate leads of the 807's are parasitic supressors / safety fuses. They can usually safely be eliminated. Just take a close look at your output waveform with a scope afterwards and be sure that there are no ultrasonic or subsonic audio parasitic oscilations in it.

As far as replacing tubular caps with ceramics, as long as you have the same (or higher) working voltage as the original cap you should be good to go. Orange drops are fair game for replacing ANY of the old wax paper caps. They have kinda been the restoration standard for quite a few years, until they started getting a little pricey.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 02:32:12 PM »

Take a good look at R13, this is the larger adjustable power resistor.  These are often bad.  I would replace it in any case.  It serves two functions, it forms a voltage divider for the clamper circuit and it is also the HIGH VOLTAGE BLEED RESISTOR.  (Yes I am yelling, bleeding off your high voltage is a good thing)
Mine ohm'd out ok but failed when powered so I had high voltage long after the unit was turned off. 
After replacement follow the directions in the manual to adjust you clamper circuit.
(that is where you get to reach a long screwdriver into the rig with the HV on!   Shocked Weeee!

rich

W7SOE

PS Newark has those resistors.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 03:17:20 PM »

"W7SOE

PS Newark has those resistors."

It never (almost) hurts to increase the power ratings of da bleeders.....

RF Pfarts hawks the parasitic supressor/carbon comp resistors..  my old Comm. Electronic proff.  got upset not seeing them 100 omers in applications... "Murpes law desin" ....

You can use them 'yellow' tublers that Mouser has....  Polyproplean, about $0.40 a piece......

klc

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 04:46:21 PM »

Doesn't Timtron have a mod that takess this resistor out of the loop or separates it.  I don't have the mod in front of me.  Just something I think I remember.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 05:00:26 PM »

In the Ranger mods...

"OH YES! I forgot to mention the famous 20K 50 Watt bleeder in the HV supply. This device functioned as an adjustable source of modulator screen voltage, clamp tube screen voltage and space heater to keep the rig warm on those cold winter nights. This device gets the axe!"

The ramger mods allong with the Viking II mads are  available  on the AM Window button "above"; click on Modifications and there u r...  klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015