The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:56:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arrl Auction  (Read 9158 times)
Jim, W5JO

« on: October 28, 2006, 07:55:43 AM »

I just looked at the auction the League is sponsoring.  I can not believe that they have a 1964 Handbook listed on the site with 19 bids and a price of 100 dollars bid.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:38:08 AM »

I  saw it yesterday.

I wondered why the ARRL felt it had to spend the $$ to reinvent the wheel when there is currently a very well known auction site that reaches millions of people? They could have saved money and probably gotten more for the items. Certainly would have more exposure.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 09:59:08 AM »

Typical.....   that Eaguel gitar oughta be on that other auction ...klc

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 12:52:25 PM »

Maybe AuctionAnything, the people running the auction, don't take as big of a cut as ebay. Could also be ARRL felt running it local, they could minimize the number of "low-life" activity that abounds on ebay. Maybe running auctions on ebay (i.e. anyone and everyone) could be an issue with their non-profit status.

Also, this auction uses the "Extended Auction" feature:
"An extended auction is one which "extends" past the scheduled closing time. This happens when there is bidding within the last 5 minutes of the auction. When this occurs, the system automatically continues the auction until there is no bidding activity for 5 minutes.

This feature simulates a traditional auction and helps eliminate "sniping". Sniping is last second bidding without the ability to counter bid. It creates more of a true auction feel, effectively simulating the Auctioneer saying...Going once, going twice.....Sold!"

Or, maybe they think that ebay just sucks, and would rather run the auction in an amateur radio environment just for amateurs.

Just thought of this:
Maybe some bidders feel that if they overbid on an item, and win, they can claim the difference between the win price and the "typical current going rate value" as a donation to a non-profit organization on their 2006 taxes.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 02:02:39 PM »

With all the problems and fraud on eBay, the ARRL was wise to stay away.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »

"Maybe running auctions on ebay (i.e. anyone and everyone) could be an issue with their non-profit status."

They dispose of their surplus via auctions already. Its inside QST, wich does not restrict who may bid.

"With all the problems and fraud on eBay, the ARRL was wise to stay away."

Yes, but, I think most of the ePay fraud is comitted by the sellers. .......       klc

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 07:40:59 PM »

"Maybe running auctions on ebay (i.e. anyone and everyone) could be an issue with their non-profit status."

They dispose of their surplus via auctions already. Its inside QST, wich does not restrict who may bid.

True, but unless you're a member of the ARRL and receive QST, you'll generally not privy to any of their sealed bid activity.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015