The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:45:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160 Meteros Ready to Rock and Roll!  (Read 23157 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006, 06:40:41 PM »

The break-in test for any plate modulated rig (especially plate modulated) is to sock a loud yallo while rapidly keying the rig in staccatoGrin

stac ca to  3. composed of or characterized by abruptly disconnected elements; disjointed: rapid-fire, staccato speech. 

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2006, 07:33:26 PM »

I will have to pass. Those big broadcast rigs are not designed for break-in operation.

They weren't designed to be used on the ham bands too.

They have these things called relays, that will make any transmitter suitable for break-in. The concept has been around since at least the 20's. Lots of articles in QST about it. Oh, that's right, you don't read QST. Grin
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 08:04:18 PM »

I will have to pass. Those big broadcast rigs are not designed for break-in operation.

They weren't designed to be used on the ham bands too.

They have these things called relays, that will make any transmitter suitable for break-in. The concept has been around since at least the 20's. Lots of articles in QST about it. Oh, that's right, you don't read QST. Grin

Contesting is a good check for your relays. So is full break-in CW  Grin Grin
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 08:44:01 PM »

"It's almost like dating an ugly chick"

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall
As soon as he married her and then she starts
To do the things that will break his heart

But if you make an ugly woman your wife
A-you'll be happy for the rest of your life
An ug-a-ly woman cooks meals on time
And she'll always give you peace of mind

Don't let your friends say you have no taste
Go ahead and marry anyway
Though her face is ugly, her eyes don't match
Take it from me, she's a better catch

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

"If You Wanna Be Happy"  by Jimmy Soul

klc

Ahhhhh!  Bo Diddly in 1957.  Jimmy Soul is a wanna be.

Sorry is ti Diddley.

JPW
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 10:41:19 PM »

Good to talk to you on 160 meters tonight Bruce. The 30K-4 was sounding fine business. Dave, 2VW and Rich, 2OBR were a good deal stronger though. I don't think the band was in especially good shape. I've heard you stronger in the past. Was also getting some static on this end. Anyway, it should only get better as the colder WX approaches.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 10:41:52 PM »

"Trinidadian calypsonian Roaring Lion recorded "Ugly Woman" in 1934, during his first trip to New York. It immediately became popular, and Lion continued to record it throughout his career. The calypso offers advice on finding a faithful spouse: "From a logical point of view / Better marry a woman uglier than you." Other calypsonians responded to Lion: Lord Beginner extolled feminine qualities in "Pretty Woman," while Frank Holder, based in England, wrote "Nice Woman."

"Ugly Woman" became the first calypso to be performed in a movie, when Sir Lancelot sang it in the Hollywood musical Happy Go Lucky (1943). New York-based calypso singers the Duke of Iron and MacBeth the Great further popularized the song during the 1940s. In the early 1950s, the Mighty Charmer (later known as Louis Farrakhan) recorded it, while the pianist Liberace performed it on his television show. Hollywood actor Robert Mitchum included it on his 1957 calypso album. In 1963 the calypso (under the title of "If You Wanna Be Happy") became a number one rhythm and blues hit by Jimmy Soul. Soul's version was written by record producer Frank Guida, who had been stationed in Trinidad during World War II."

http://www.calypsoworld.org/noflash/songs-11.htm

Its bean around for a while....  I like the "Soul" version 'caus its got the guy telling the OM that his (oms') wife is ugly........   klc

What? Me worry?
W1UJR
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 11:04:19 PM »

Good to talk to you on 160 meters tonight Bruce. The 30K-4 was sounding fine business. Dave, 2VW and Rich, 2OBR were a good deal stronger though. I don't think the band was in especially good shape. I've heard you stronger in the past. Was also getting some static on this end. Anyway, it should only get better as the colder WX approaches.

Steve,
Hey, unexpected treat to hear from Lightfoot, VA up here in cold, wilds of coastal Maine!

Thanks for the kind comments on the 30K-4, it was nice to "walk the dog" this evening.
I was busy ripping apart FT-243 xtal holders to put the rocks in the big Collins xtal holders.
You know what, despite the xtal being about 1/3 the size of the big Collins rocks, it actually worked.
So now I am plug and play on 1885 and 1945.

Sadily the poor beast, being a commerical rig, has lived a hard life and not had the same of care as the 30K-1 transmitter I got going last month.
As the 30K-4 is commerical rig, not really rigged well for quick break-in, more for long buzzard as multiple switches need to be thrown.
I'm working out a nice T/R lash up so I don't need to start hacking up the rig.
I plan to make it the mainstay 160 meter rig this winter, as the station will consist of the 30K-1 on 75 and up, and the 30K-4 on 160 only.

I look forward to many more enjoyable QSOs with you fellow old buzzards.
Get you smoking jackets, pipes and jiggers of scotch ready, the winter season is here!

73 Bruce W1UJR

* DSC04000.jpg (123.54 KB, 600x800 - viewed 456 times.)

* DSC03992.jpg (114.8 KB, 600x800 - viewed 440 times.)

* UJR_Schematic.jpg (172.89 KB, 800x656 - viewed 446 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 08:48:08 AM »

Excellent. I'll bring some cigars.
W1UJR
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 09:53:53 AM »

Excellent. I'll bring some cigars.

Macanudo Vintage 1997 and Chivas only please.  Grin

* 291293.jpg (74.39 KB, 411x311 - viewed 411 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 10:46:25 AM »

I heard the HUZ in there last night on 1885 whilst scanning for the group that moved from 3870. Found QIX and FCU on 1930. Joined in, but have to say - no one was running break in. We buzzarded away, no problems. Break in is fine except for the constant doubling and conversations that turn into a personal chat between only two folks. Nothing wrong with that, mind you - it's not like there isn't any space to spread out. The 'clump factor' always puzzled me, with accompanying monster roundtables.

Macanudo Vintage 1997 and Chivas only please.  Grin

Chivas is one of Uncle Teddy's favorite drinks because every bar carries it. Teachers is a better blended scotch. If you're gonna drink Chivas, go with the Royal Salute. Single malts are (in my opinion) much better. Glenfiddich is a good highland single malt, Glenlivet is too, and a bit cheaper. I had planned to fill the wedding flasks with one of these but time got away from me. I'll bring some when I come up to play with the 30K-4. Then we can get on the air and search for those big AM mauls, caw mawn?

Single malts rule...  Cheesy

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 11:29:14 AM »

Phil, myself and numerous other have run broadcast rigs in break-in operation for many years without a problem. There is plenty of empirical evidence that broadcast transmitters can be used in break-in. There's nothing magical or different about them that prevents break-in operation.

I think I'll write an article on broadcast transmitter break-in operation for QST.
W1UJR
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 12:50:06 PM »

Phil, myself and numerous other have run broadcast rigs in break-in operation for many years without a problem. There is plenty of empirical evidence that broadcast transmitters can be used in break-in. There's nothing magical or different about them that prevents break-in operation.

I think I'll write an article on broadcast transmitter break-in operation for QST.

Acutally there is nothing so refreshing as running full strap QSK CW on the Collins 20V2.

Of course, to engage in this form of transmission, it is necessary that one use a liberal coating of Marconi Aerial Wax on the antenna to allow the electrons to slip freely into the luminiferous aether.

Needless to say, said application must occur on the night of a full moon, while ritualistically incanting the name of Major Howard Armstrong and spinning one's body in circles with a clockwise rotation.
Of course if one is in the southern hemisphere, the direction of the rotation is always counterclockwise.

I fear that I can not share any more, being sworn under the alligence of the Royal Order of the Wouff-Hong.

-Bruce

* marconi_antenna_wax.jpg (38.67 KB, 626x400 - viewed 410 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2006, 02:08:40 PM »

Gotta get me some of that wax!
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 02:48:50 PM »

Grin

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2006, 04:02:15 PM »

Bruce,Tom,Etc,
                    Would you be interested in trying a sked on Monday morning, 11/7? You pick the time,friggency, etc.

Mod-U-Later,
                 Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1UJR
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2006, 04:25:43 PM »

Bruce,Tom,Etc,
                    Would you be interested in trying a sked on Monday morning, 11/7? You pick the time,friggency, etc.

Mod-U-Later,
                 Joe Cro N3IBX

Hey Joe,
If its early morning, yes indeed!
As long as its before 7:45AM as I leave for the office at that time.

Otherwise a Sunday afternoon would work.

Good to hear from u OM, where you been hiding?
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2006, 10:32:45 AM »

Grin

WA1GFZ

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2006, 12:09:18 PM »

I do the same method with a 50 K resistor across the contacts to reverse bias the tube. Never had a problem here. Class e rig I only kill drive then change the antenna. On TX I change the antenna then turn drive back on. 1 antenna relay with aux contacts. I run driver power off coil power through contacts. I take advantage of mechanical relay delay for the driver to die before ant changes. KISS
WA1GFZ

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2006, 05:25:41 PM »

Phil,
Simple interlocks setting up fail safe operation and fail safe failure modes is the KISS way to go. 
Dats da proper way to design a weapon system
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2006, 08:36:44 PM »

Bruce,Tom,Etc,

Mod-U-Later,
                 Joe Cro N3IBX

Hey Joe,
If its early morning, yes indeed!

As long as its before 7:45AM as I leave for the office at that time.

Otherwise a Sunday afternoon would work.

Good to hear from u OM, where you been hiding?

Bruce,Others,
                   TENTATIVELY, how about 7AM Monday morning on 1885KC? I say tentatively, because my wife is back in the hospital today. She should be home this weekend. I'll give you a confirmation via the AMBBS.

Very Best Regards,
                         Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1UJR
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2006, 08:45:17 PM »

Bruce,Others,
                   TENTATIVELY, how about 7AM Monday morning on 1885KC? I say tentatively, because my wife is back in the hospital today. She should be home this weekend. I'll give you a confirmation via the AMBBS.

Very Best Regards,
                         Joe Cro N3IBX

Sorry to hear about the XYL Joe, will keep that in mind, and of course my best for a speedy trip back home.

7AM is fine OM, 1885 also OK.

-Bruce
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2006, 06:29:36 PM »

Howdy Bruce and others,
                                  It's confirmed. Hope to mod-uins around 7AM tomorrow morning. I'll be on the T-368/R-390A combo. Propogation should be Fine Business Old Man!
                               Joe N3IBX
Sorry to hear about the XYL Joe, will keep that in mind, and of course my best for a speedy trip back home.

-Bruce

Bruce,Others,

Very Best Regards,
                         Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2006, 06:31:27 PM »

Bruce,Others,

Very Best Regards,
                         Joe Cro N3IBX

-Bruce

Howdy Bruce and others,
                                  It's confirmed. Hope to mod-uins around 7AM tomorrow morning. I'll be on the T-368/R-390A combo. Propogation should be Fine Business Old Man!
                               Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2006, 06:33:33 PM »

the "W3JN look"

LOL! That's definitely not normal.

Is he on narcotics?

Joe Cro N3IBX

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2006, 06:49:47 PM »

the "W3JN look"
LOL! That's definitely not normal.
Is he on narcotics?

John/JN has a new gag he tried out a few weeks back. We were eating in a resturant and he went outside and came up to the outside window looking in at the customers.  Like a homeless guy, he stared with a blank expression,  mouth open and head tilting to the side. He had a drooling look. It was a scream.

Axe him to demonstrate next time.

T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015