The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:51:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help. HQ-140X  (Read 4533 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: October 14, 2006, 03:44:50 PM »

Am restoring a HQ-140X and need help on two items

1. Does anyone know the value of the RF choke in the RF amp. The manual refers to it with a part number. The one I have is open.

2. I need a band spread dial. Someone put too hot a bulb in mine and cooked one spot badly

Thanks and 73

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
K1MVP
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 10:32:50 PM »

Am restoring a HQ-140X and need help on two items

1. Does anyone know the value of the RF choke in the RF amp. The manual refers to it with a part number. The one I have is open.

2. I need a band spread dial. Someone put too hot a bulb in mine and cooked one spot badly

Thanks and 73

Carl,
What I usually do if I cannot tell what value a choke is in an old piece of equipment
be it a xmtr or rcvr, is use my trusty ol B&K digital LCR meter and measure the
choke value in a another receiver of the same type design,--in this case an 129X
or 120x has very similar circuitry.(thats if I could not find another 140x) to
compare the inductance value.
Those PN`s in the manual are "useless", as parts from the factory, for these old receivers have not been available for many years.
I have had my digital LCR meter for years, and I find it an "indispensible" item in
determining both unknown capacitances and inductances.
                                       73, K1MVP 
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 11:05:01 PM »

(thats if I could not find another 140x) to compare the inductance value.

Hi Rene

Therein lies the rub. I don't have another one to measure and unfortunately it looks like a mouse got to the one in mine. It was so badly chewed up I could not even measure one of the 5 sections and extrapolate from there.
Anyway based on the relative size I took a 2.1 mh choke I had in the junk box and put it in there. It seems to work fine.
Thanks for the idea and best 73

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 12:10:39 AM »

Carl

WA2AAE

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 10:34:32 AM »

I'm not familar with that receiver's circuit, but usually a one or two milli-henry RF choke will work well from the broadcast band through 10 meters. The inductance has to supply enough reactance so the RF signals are blocked while the DC is passed. Tyr a value in this range and see how it works.

Harvey
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 11:01:34 PM »

Still looking for a a band spread dial. Someone put too hot a bulb in mine and cooked one spot badly. Any9ne have an orhan hanging around?

Carl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015