The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:40:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HossTraders Fall Edition 2006 - Merged threads  (Read 15611 times)
WA3VJB
« on: October 07, 2006, 09:04:11 AM »

THIS THREAD IS THE COMBINING OF THREE SEPERATE HOSSTRADERS THREADS. MERGING THESE WILL KEEP THESE THREADS and POSTS ALL TOGETHER.  GARY/W2INR

There was a pileup Saturday morning just now as people stood in line to work W1E, the AM Festival Station at the Hosstraders Hamfest in New Hampshire.

Hope to hear you guys in the afternoon too when conditions are better.

Right now had static and the stations to the south of me here at Maryland, who were making the beat note heard in this sound file.

Still, even at 4Kc bandwidth, tuned off to the side, the unmistakeable Sounds of Syracuse Radio were sounding good.

(hit the Mp3 at the link below)

▼                             ▼

* W1E-1240Z-3885Kc.mp3 (396.21 KB - downloaded 311 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 09:19:38 AM »

And let's hope this static stuff to the south starts clearing out, THIS is where all the noise was coming from in that recording...

Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 10:00:07 AM »

I was the second to work them last evening with QIX at the mike.  Sounded like a great time was being had by all Grin Grin.
vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
k3zrf

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 05:15:35 PM »

Great weather and great group.

Lotsa folks, lotsa stuff and extinguished guests.

Good to see all of you.

* folks0068.jpg (149.63 KB, 600x450 - viewed 739 times.)

* stuff0060.jpg (191.43 KB, 600x450 - viewed 693 times.)

* ext0052.jpg (195.71 KB, 600x450 - viewed 666 times.)

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 09:40:56 PM »

Really enjoyed this year, fall is the best time for the HT fest, the fall colors were at peak.
Super turn out, the HUZ man and JN joined us for the AM Dinner at Cheers, 13 folks in attendance.
The WX was a bit nippy, but nevertheless a very good time had by all.

Great drive down and back, I highly recommend Route 4.
However, I made the mistake of stopping for Chinese food in Epsom on the way home...let's just say that rapid purging took place, lesson learned.

All of the HossTraders standards, except rain!, were present:

- KW1I with his wonderful military station and truck
- WA1SSJ sign in sheet
- Swine Barn Central
- The apple crisp lady
- The everpresent PA system warnings from Norm about dumping computers into the trash barrels
- And some new favorites - W1E with a Class E demo station

My haul:

1) A pair of homebrew power supplies from Carl KPD, breadboard

2) A bag o' parts, lots of prepackaged hardware, washers, etc.

3) One old buzzard Radio Boys book

I heard David Sumner K1ZZ from the ARRL and Wayne Green were spotted in the AM Corral area, any truth to this rumor?

Your Friends in Amatuer Radio

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 10:17:33 PM »

I heard David Sumner K1ZZ from the ARRL and Wayne Green were spotted in the AM Corral area, any truth to this rumor?

I heard them introduce themselves personally to several while standing next to each other.

Wayne Greem, wearing a shocking yellow jacket, looked and sounded confused, frustrated and rambled on about his efforts on various fronts. Said something about moving into a submarine

Summer (appropriately dressed in black)  espoused the new digital age of communications and spoke of the fascination of having ham radio be just automatic computer to computer QSOs.  “No need for messy human intervention.” he said. “Even something as wide as CW is a horrible waste of valuable spectrum.”

Where else but in Hopkinton could titans meet at a hamfest and share their thoughts with the common ham?

The apple crisp lady
Where..................... I looked all over for her? God, I had to have an extra Hosstraders Sausage to make up for the fact I did not see her.

What about the 5 minutes you spent behind the swine barn with the
RADIO TART
[/font][/color][/size]

Was good to see you and all the others there

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 07:07:05 AM »

Carl I hate to tell you this, but yer Radio Tart is actually the new Membership Director of the ARRL.
They're desparate.

What about the 5 minutes you spent behind the swine barn with the
RADIO TART
[/font][/color][/size]

Was good to see you and all the others there

You gotta be really careful as to whom you allow into your tent at the AM Corral. Yep, back at Spring Hosstraders, it was all I could do as GateKeeper when people I didn't recognize started wandering in.

* Hoss-VJB-`f.jpg (105.05 KB, 1000x882 - viewed 629 times.)
W2JTD

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 07:44:02 AM »

I forget... in the group shot, was EXI on the way down or up?

Best fester since G'burg. Great to see everyone.

-Paul & Maggie W2JTD

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
k3zrf

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 08:15:56 AM »

Pam sez "on the way down."

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 09:01:33 PM »

OK, so Brown, W1NZR chatted up the RADIO TART of Fall Hoss Traders. WOW brunette, wears glasses, enjoys looking at old radio gear. Diane KB1K??? where are you !!!

* Diane-KB1K.jpg (116.75 KB, 250x250 - viewed 588 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 09:09:09 AM »

I was standing next to Al UX as he introduced himself as Wayne Green to a guy.
It was so funny I had to walk away. Before that I was lurking behind a bard hoping to get a look at the stealth radio Tart.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 10:03:37 AM »

I was standing next to Al UX as he introduced himself as Wayne Green

So that was who that confused guy in the yellow jacket was......

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 11:31:16 AM »

I was wearing a blue sweat shirt.
W1UX
Contributing

When ya see a fork in the road, TAKE IT!

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »

Yes, Bruce, Carl, I heard Wayne Greem and Dave Summer actually chatting it up quite nicely on friday, right by the AM Corral! It was super neat. Dave was telling the crowd how he liked to dress DOWN so as to fit in, and one dude actually showed him his ARRL MEMBERSHIP CARD to demonstrate his support. Wayne was pretty cool too, he's starting several new businesses, but I didn't see any new 16 year old brides with him. He and Summer complimented each other on their efforts to help amchur radio grow.
It was super spending time with this league of extraordinary gentlemen!
Al UX (Al) "Al"

Al "Al" (Al)  W1UX..... over, OVER!!! anyone OUT THERE? hi hi ha ha hee hee ho ho haw haw DAMMIT! Where'd that FLY come from?!?!?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 11:48:52 AM »

It was so funny I had to walk away. Before that I was lurking behind a bard hoping to get a look at the stealth radio Tart.

That was Dirk he intoduced himself to. I was sitting with Carl taking in the entire proceedings as we enjoyed a cold brew. I think Wayne and Dave frightened Dirk, he kept walking backwards slowly and eventually left. I was relieved to hear Wayne say that 73 Magazine is still in business, just not being printed anymore (or something like that).

It's amazing what you see and learn at Hosstraders...

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 12:16:57 PM »

There must be a lot of Bull crap under that side of the barn where the radio tart hides. Funny I didn't smell anything though. (just jokin yous jive asses)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 02:46:33 PM »

Before that I was lurking behind a bard hoping to get a look at the stealth radio Tart.

Frank
The RADIO TART is like Santa Claus.....
You gotta believe before you can see her

Carl

WA1GFZ

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 03:32:07 PM »

now you drag out the brown hair. I beleive!
Les Locklear

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 04:02:46 PM »

That was Dirk he intoduced himself to. I was sitting with Carl taking in the entire proceedings as we enjoyed a cold brew. I think Wayne and Dave frightened Dirk, he kept walking backwards slowly and eventually left. I was relieved to hear Wayne say that 73 Magazine is still in business, just not being printed anymore (or something like that).

It's amazing what you see and learn at Hosstraders...

Was Wayne getting any liquid silver iv's?.............. Grin

That must have been when you were spotted drinking a "Light Beer"

Aaaaaarrrrggggggggg.........I hope you rinsed your mouth out before you drank a "Real Beer." Lips sealed

Les Locklear
Gulfport, Ms.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 05:12:43 PM »

After traveling a total of 1576 miles, I returned home today from a great weekend at the Hoss Traders fest and visiting with many AMers in the area. This may have been the best fest I've ever attended - in all aspects - stuff for sale at the fest, WX, social activities, fun..... There were even no traffic problems to contend with during the long drive!

Only one minor problem was encountered, and it was more comical than anything. W3JN and I drove to the fest together. He got a very nice log periodic antenna from Tom, K1JJ. The antenna had been stored outside, since Tom had taken it off the tower some time ago. We disassembled the antenna, put it in the back of the PT Cruiser and headed out on the return trip to JN's place in Maryland on Sunday.

After about a half hour of driving, JN noticed a yellow-jacket (or as Tron would say, a hnyellow-jacket) buzzing around the car. He was able to open the window and get it out. We thought nothing of it, since the car had been open the last two days at the fest, and almost anything could have flown in. Shortly, another yellow-jacket appeared. Then another. Each was was dispatched, not with out some consternation and slightly erratic driving on my part.

After about 10 or so, we began to say QTF and wonder if something purchased at the fest had a nest in it, or what! As the bees continued to appear, it dawned on us, the likely source as the log antenna. A quick stop in Port Jervis, NY, to investigate revealed several different nests in the tubular aluminum sections of the boom. A trip to a local stored produced some Raid, and the remaining yellow-jackets were terminated. I counted about 40 in all.

The remainder of the trip was uneventful, but the antenna will forever be known as the Hnyellow-Jacket Log

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 05:31:54 PM »

Steve,

Was that you who scored the $40 Meissner? I was the guy set up across from you on Saturday in tears over your good luck. Came over and tried to look and sound heartbroken enough so you might part with it but to no avail.

Can't wait to hear how that works out.

Carl

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 06:36:44 PM »

Johnny-JN scored the Meissner TrafficMaster receiver. Definitely a cool piece and rare too.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 08:00:55 PM »

The remainder of the trip was uneventful, but the antenna will forever be known as the Hnyellow-Jacket Log

Wow, that- that -that's quite a message!

Grin Grin Grin  Yes, there's wasp nests in most aluminum tubing that is stacked here. They are usually the docile paper wasps that do everything to tolerate people... I've actually erected beams that had nests in them without a problem.  If they were yellow jackets, they will usually be in the ground - and would have stung the hell outa us the first time we touched the log.

Maybe they were thinking youse guys were having a roll out and wanted to get on the ground floor of your new gay MLM?

Yes, this HossTraders was one of the very best. I measure them by how much I laughed and this one is near the top... Glad youse guys enjoyed it too.  We NEVER have a bad time when the W3's show up, caw mawn.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 08:22:49 PM »

Indeed.  Apart from the minor hnyellow jacket incident, that was the BEST fester I've ever been to, bar none.  I sent some good gear onto new owners and scored some cool stuff (afore mentioned Traffic Master - and a public thanx to Larry NE1S who kindly PDFed the manual and sent it to me!).  The cameraderie, food, beer, everything was just outstanding.

ANd it looks like Bob W0YVA will finally get his power supply - which was quite the subject of conversation at the fester.  I think 5 or 6 guys have had it at various times fixing to bring it down south.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 08:38:58 PM »

To what other uses has Raid been put twards??

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015