The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:42:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi, I'm new here!  (Read 7958 times)
kf6pqt

« on: September 26, 2006, 09:17:34 PM »

My name's Jason, I live in Burbank, CA and I'm here to admit I have a problem that was caused by the Hallicrafters SX-28 my Dad kept in a closet in the garage and wouldn't let me play with it.

I'm addicted to boatanchors!

I'm 32 years young, "do computer related stuff" for a living, I've been a ham since '98, but finally exerted the effort to pass my General exams in June. The SX-28 is now "on display" in a prominant location in my living room. I've worked on it to the point of getting it to turn on and receive, but there's much work and alignment. Lack of time, space, and sturdy furniture keep my from finishing it and using it as a primary receiver.

Right now I have a DX-60 (picked out of the trash) and a National one-fifty-something (also from the trash) set up. Also have an NC-300 (I REALLY had a good trash score that day) that'll be getting new filter caps soon. Got rocks for 3885 and 3870. But the DX-60 ain't sounding so good at the moment- same problem my Eico 753 (shoulda left it in the trash) has, so I'm beginning to suspect my D-104 (no, I paid for it) might be bad... I also have a crummy antenna for 75m... proverbial wire-over-the-tree that is likely resonant at 2 Mhz, er, MC or so. So, I have a start at least, and lots of work to do! I also have an assortment of newish ricey gear, but we won't talk about that right now.

I played with 6 meter AM a few years ago, thats where the D-104 came from, and a Gonset G50 which I also still have. Used to check into Will, AA6DD's Sunday morning net. This made the initial impression upon me of how cool AM is! (Playing with CB's back in highschool doesnt count.)

Where do I sign up for a free broadcast transmitter? I think I can twist my landlady's arm to let me run a 220 circuit. Wink I would also gladly provide a good home to a neglected BC-610. I have a pick-up truck!

Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 09:32:51 PM »

Welcome Jason. Sounds like you snagged some good pieces there. Several different mods to improve the audio over on The AM Window Web Site, in the Tech/Mods section.

www.amwindow.org

Lots of BC transmitters out there. Ask around.
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 09:44:46 PM »

hi Jason,

man, remind me to dump-pick in burbank ca!  nice catch

deano - wa1knx/1 in charlston vw, heading home to tucson az

am forever!
kf6pqt

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 10:07:59 PM »

man, remind me to dump-pick in burbank ca!

Yeah, my trash-find karma is probably blown for life...

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:00:02 AM »

Boy Jason you have fallen in with a real lot.

Welcome to the board and you will find a lot of help here.  I have been working on this old stuff for many years and the one thing that is always in short supply for me, is room to spread out.  With patience and good tools you will get your stuff the way you want it. 

Have someone near you listen to the D 104 and borrow a replacement mic. to compare.  Have fun here and ask any question you wish.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 09:28:17 AM »

Hello Jason,
               It sounds like you're well on your way to assembling a good AM station! About 11-12PM here on the East Coast is when we usually start to hear the West Coast come in on 75 Meters. I can usually work "The Deacon" Dave, W6PSS and others when conditions are good and definitely hope to be able to work you sometime. The DX-60 you have is a good start, but unfortunately will be lost in the QRM if you try to work "Back East". You may want to try to get a 40M crystal for 7290 or a VFO for it, and have some 40M fun. On 75M, before sunset is generally good for lower power AM.

Regarding a broadcast rig, just keep asking around and hopefully something will turn up for you sooner or later.

I believe in "Antennas by Eimac". The more power you run, the more fun you'll have! In the meanwhile, try to get your DX-60 working and have some fun with it.

A hearty welcome to the AMBBS and hope to work you on the air sometime.

Very Best Regards,
                         Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 09:47:16 AM »

Jason, may I dogpile on with a hearty welcome to AMFone.net.  You'll find all kinds of help and resources here and at amwindow.org.  Don't be shy to ask any questions... chances are some (or all) of us have made the same mistakes, blown stuff up, or gone down wrong paths.

You have a great start on a station already.  That SX-28 is one of the tops for 75 and 160 AM work.  I've restored a bunch of 'em and if I can help you in any way, just ask.

Again, welcome, and hope to hear you on!

73/John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 09:59:13 AM »

Hi Jason,
Check out the TRW swap down South each month. Good place for stuff and making contacts. I used to work in Burbank in a building that is now part of the airport parking lot.
Also check out Apex in San Fernando. Frank WA1GFZ
kf6pqt

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 10:41:14 AM »

Frank, you used to work for Lockheed with that MASSIVE press? It was so crazy to see that building come down and reveal that massive thing. They tried giving it away, but there were no takers. Felt kinda wrong to see the guy with the biggest cutting torch I'd ever seen cut it up into "little" pieces that would barely fit on 40ft. trailers! I used to work in the skunkworks building around the block a few years back, but we just did special effects for movies. Lived for 4 years across the street on Ontario St. in that oh-so-lovely neighborhood! Wink Apartment living there put the lid on any ham stuff!

Yes, I'm a big fan of the TRW (now technically Northrup Grumman) swapmeet, thats where I'll be Saturday morning! I have to be extremely careful at such events, I'm trying to control my packratitis! Apex is a bit safer, you really have to do a lot of haggling to get out of there with anything and still have dinner.

I've got some 811a's, some of the soviet tank radar triodes, some plate transformers, and my neighbors all have cable or a dish. I hope not to be down in the noise for too long! The "cool neighbors" think the antennas are amusing, so the fencepost between us has a push-up pole on it now!

As for the D-104, its fine I've found. Put a perkier 12ax7 in the dx-60 and I hear an improvment. The thing just needs to be gone through... theres a reason all that stuff was dumped, however ridiculous!

Later,
Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 11:51:57 AM »

Hi Jason,
I never saw the press. I was in BLDG 311/310 and sometimes in a smaller one I think 351. 
That's right it is the end of the month. I sent 8 crates East when I moved home.
W1IA

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 07:20:27 PM »

Great to have you Jason...you won't find a better crew on A.M. than the mwmbers of this board...listen for some East Coast activity when the conditions are right. Have worked quite a few friends from Cal and Washington St.

Around 8:00 or 9:00 p.m. your time the boys from the east coast will try to burn a hole into the west coast........hope to hear you soon.

73 Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 07:55:22 PM »

Jason,
Not only will you find a great resource for AM but you'll find a great bunch of friends too. Welcome aboard!
Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 08:50:13 PM »

Jason,
Seems to me there is another on this board who lives in Burbank???
They really cleaned up  that town. A guy I worked with still comes down south for a hair cut and we drove around one Saturday morning on our way to Murphy Surplus.
You might want to avoid that place or drive a small car with no cash in your pocket.
gfz
kf6pqt

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 11:20:16 AM »

Holy cow, Murphy's is down in El Cajon... I thought they were in the midwest somewhere!

-Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 11:50:53 AM »

Jason,
I heard the bone yard across the street from Murphy's gets some interesting Cubic stuff from time to time. I didn't find out till after I visited murphy.
w1guh
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 06:46:24 PM »

"But the DX-60 ain't sounding so good at the moment- same problem my Eico 753 (shoulda left it in the trash) has, so I'm beginning to suspect my D-104 "

Could very well be.  I had an element go bad overnight, so it could very well be that the DX-60 doesn't really sound so bad.  ('Course, there's NOTHING to make a '753 good   Tongue).  There's lots of options for restoration...you can find 'em right here.

Very nice to meet you and your trash score is to be envied.  Not to mention your SX-28.  Vy Welcome aboard.

Paul
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 01:09:10 PM »

Jason,
Just got word from a buddy. That big press was last used to stamp out the winshield frames for the space shuttle. He said the building was called the hall of giants. gfz
kf6pqt

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 02:02:33 PM »

Yep, space shuttle parts, bomb-bay doors, landing gear doors, etc. But now priorities have shifted to the point that a parking lot is more important? Someone tell me why thats not cause for concern! 

-J

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 02:07:31 PM »

The bombs are gettin smaller???

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 03:05:53 PM »

Well the Skunk Works moved to Palmdale.
The people of Burbank used to freak out when the C5 came in to pick up the latest toy out of our building and take it to test.
It usually made the front page in the morning paper. The C5 used to have to really haul butt to get off that short runway.
Still that old place held the spirit of one of the world's greatest aircraft designers.
It was an honor to work there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015