The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:58:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hmmm...Why Aren't The Trains Moving  (Read 3986 times)
AB3L
Contributing

« on: September 22, 2006, 07:14:59 AM »

The news story informed that trains are backed up from Indiana to New Jersey. A massive landslide has closed a main highway and the Norfolk Southern main to the northwest of Pittsburgh.
For the railfans out there, this is the tracks to the south east of the once huge Conway Yards. The dirt is still moving and rain is coming this weekend. 

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_264224033.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06265/724057-54.stm
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 07:00:18 PM »

Some people indulge in a hobby of "train spotting."  They try to ducument seeing as many specific trains as they can, and sometimes hang aound railway stations for hours attempting to "spot" a rare train.  Not sure if they photograph them or simply log the train's ID numbers.

I suppose it's is somewhat  like SWL's logging in new countries, or contests logging in new contacts.

It would seem extremely boring to me,  but to each his own.

Train spotters in England have reported getting into trouble, suspected of espionage, since 11SE01.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 01:39:41 AM »

I used to take my kids train watching around where this slide happened (if I recall correctly).  Used to take the Ohio River Blvd towards towards Aliquippa then turn onto the I-79 bridge for a short while and take the "Glenfield" exlit before crossing the river.   There was a nice straight stretch of tracks down there where you could sit and watch trains for hours.......

Yep, you were just west of the slide.

Since the merger there has been a lot of interesting road names being used for towing power. The NS has been leasing from other roads so you could see UP, Southern Pacific/Sante Fe, Burlington on the front without having to travel west. Possibly where you were there watching you might have seen plenty of Blue or Black going by and in past years maybe that was all. Once when we were eating at the Grand Concourse Restaraunt and the restored PRR company A-B-B-A (or just the A-B-A ?)set went by with the also restored Presidents' coaches. Very interesting to read about them years before and then finally see them.

Before the terrrorist days I was able to drive right into the Conway yards, further west of where you were, and take pictures without being approached. I had my daughter with me on an off school day about fifteen years ago and figured she would love it Cheesy. We had front row seats at the two hump yards and at the engine facility turntable. Also was amazed by rows of dead engines that had been scavenged. Times were good and lots of glut.

I never got as far as to buy a scanner and chase trains as I guess some do. It didn't sport that much wood for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015