The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:06:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cellphones as Conelrad ?  (Read 4014 times)
WA3VJB
« on: September 12, 2006, 06:54:39 PM »

Legislation from Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) promises to provide an emergency warning system through your cellphone. What's not explained is how this proposal will prioritize such alerts to get ahead of  all the other traffic likely to jam cellular telephone, Blackberry pagers, and most other wireless systems during a natural or man-made crisis.

The proposal includes, among distribution methods, the  NOAA weather radio system, recently relabelled NOAA "All Hazard Weather" radio, with its near-term promise of databurst tailored to locality and type of event to warn about.

----------------

Complete legislation here:
http://commerce.senate.gov/pdf/s1753asrptd.pdf

Senate Approves DeMint Alert System

Bipartisan WARN Act uses wireless technology to communicate critical information for weather and terror disasters

Washington, D.C. – Today, the U.S. Senate overwhelmingly approved the Warning, Alerts and Response Network (WARN) Act by a vote of 95-0. The bill, sponsored by U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) was added as an amendment to HR 4594, the SAFE Port Security Act. The WARN Act will create a national alert system by providing Americans with emergency information sent directly to their cell phones and other wireless devices.

“The WARN Act is an important step to help secure America’s homeland in the event of a disaster,” said DeMint. “It’s only a matter of time before the next hurricane, tornado, earthquake, chemical spill, or terrorist attack threatens the safety of our families and we must be prepared. We know that when disaster strikes, every minute counts. This will help first responders save lives by keeping people out of impacted areas and providing them with timely, accurate information.”

The WARN Act, cosponsored by Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) and Ranking Member Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), is a major advance in weather and terrorist disaster preparedness.  It modernizes the Emergency Broadcast System by utilizing all of the new modern communications technologies, such as cell phones, blackberries and other personal electronic devices to ensure Americans receive the alerts and warnings necessary to mitigate the impacts of natural disasters, manmade accidents and terrorist attacks. More than 200 million Americans currently subscribe to wireless services.

“With hurricane season upon us, we are reminded of how critical the WARN act is to help ensure that we are prepared for busy storm seasons,” said Commerce Chairman Stevens. “Considering the National Hurricane Center's continued predictions, we cannot afford to wait any longer. The United States could be hit with major hurricanes again this year, and the House and Senate must act swiftly to implement this important warning system.”

“We need a warning and alert system in this country that keeps pace with new technologies and an increasingly mobile society,” said Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine), Chairwoman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs. “No longer is it adequate to depend on television and radios to disseminate absolutely critical public safety information.”

The International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC), comprised of nearly 13,000 members, has endorsed the WARN Act, stating, “This legislation would create a nationwide communications system to make first responders and the public better informed and prepared for all hazards, including terrorist attacks.”

The WARN Act will:

* Establish a network for the transmission of alerts across a broad variety of media, including cell phones, blackberry, digital, analog, cable and satellite television and radio, as well as non-traditional media such as sirens.

* Provide federal, state and local emergency managers with the ability to send out geographically targeted alerts to the citizens at risk.

* Establish a grant program to help remote communities install sirens and other devices because of their lack of quality telecommunications infrastructure, ensuring that individuals in communities such as tornado alley, some of which may not have high cell phone penetration, still get warnings about threatening storms.

* Provide at least $106 million for the research and development of technologies and equipment to operate these alert systems.

“While we have made considerable progress in the War on Terror, the WARN Act will make a tangible difference that will benefit every American. It allows us to use everyday technology like cell phones to warn people at work or a mother picking up her kids from school of imminent danger that can be avoided. These are the kind of innovative and commonsense steps Americans expect their government to take to improve preparedness,” said Senator DeMint.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 08:57:12 PM »

9/11  feel good legislation. Will acomplish nothing other than making some feel good and waste large amounts of money...

What? Me worry?
W2JBL

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 09:10:30 PM »

sounds like another "reverse 911" deal. they did that here in White Plains during the recent (and very rare for NYC area) tornado. came home from work after the storm to find my answering machine filled up with nefarious BS messages telling me to duck and cover. many of them came from other towns WAY out of my jurisdiction. what a waste!  purple/green/black sky, lightening, funnel cloud, roofs flying about... it didn't take a recording from the cops to figure out we were in deep manure.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 10:14:54 PM »

Oh goody. Gummermint hacks delving into telecommunications systems again.

Watch what happens when they get overzealous, sending out false alarms all the time, like they do for EAS activations around here.

Then the cell phone companies are going to tack on a $4.95/mo surcharge for the cost of complying with the regulations..
(Anyone wanna bet they won't?)

Just say no.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 11:53:54 AM »

Just say no.

I already did, in 2003. Dumped my cellphone account, haven't missed it a bit. Why is it that society seemed to do just fine a few years ago without having a cellphone, but now we bitch about what a pain they are or can be? Like your internet connection, it's yet another route to be exploited for spam, taxation, and a means for people to track you down and pester you. Don't want the hassles? Don't play the game. Simple.

It's just amazing what we "think" we need, can't live without, etc....  Roll Eyes

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
John Holotko

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 07:32:18 PM »

sounds like another "reverse 911" deal. they did that here in White Plains during the recent (and very rare for NYC area) tornado. came home from work after the storm to find my answering machine filled up with nefarious BS messages telling me to duck and cover. many of them came from other towns WAY out of my jurisdiction. what a waste!  purple/green/black sky, lightening, funnel cloud, roofs flying about... it didn't take a recording from the cops to figure out we were in deep manure.

Not only did they have the cyclone in white plains but there was also a cyclone in Long Island as well as extremely severe thunderstorms in the NYC area throught this recent summer. A really bad one passed right through my area during the first extreme heatwave. This most recent tropical storm also turned out to be a lot worst than predicted. We got pummeled here. Downed trees, debris all over, homes without electricity  for days. Could be a freak coincidence  of bad weather this summer. Or maybe this type of wx is becoming more common round these here parts. Who knows. Stay tuned for next summer.

Far as the alert system goes theres always some politician looking to score some points by proposing some "high tech" solution to something or other.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
John Holotko

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 04:02:47 AM »

Just say no.

I already did, in 2003. Dumped my cellphone account, haven't missed it a bit. Why is it that society seemed to do just fine a few years ago without having a cellphone, but now we bitch about what a pain they are or can be? Like your internet connection, it's yet another route to be exploited for spam, taxation, and a means for people to track you down and pester you. Don't want the hassles? Don't play the game. Simple.

It's just amazing what we "think" we need, can't live without, etc....  Roll Eyes

Very true but the Internet is almost too good a resource to pass up. Just the amount of resources and information is  mind boggling. For example, I got my aging parents (in their 70's) interested in the Internet using a simple computer I salvaged and a basic dialup connection. Now they have a full ethernet (both wired and wireless) multiple state of the art computers and a state of the art laptop. And they also want to switch over to broadband. My mom in particular can spend hours looking up all sorts of stuff, from famous court cases and historical incidents to the types of snakes and reptiles that inhabit the northeast to detailed information about the city and town her parents came from in the old country, complete with pictures, maps, etc.  They can spend literally  hours upon hours looking stuff up, learning stuff, and avoiding the boredom of tv, radio, etc. And the amazing thing is that these are people who grew up and lived most of their lives without even a hint of such things as computers, networks, etc and never considered such stuff as nessesary or important in everyday life.n It is truly one of the most revolutionary information resources ever invented to the point of  being mind boggling.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015