The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:37:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phase Converter Question  (Read 7406 times)
N6WDR

N6WDR World Domination Radio

« on: September 07, 2006, 10:12:51 PM »

Hello To The Group.

I am wondering if anyone has tried a phase converter to run a 3 phase transformers Huh.  I am trying to use a 23KVA transformer out of a Collins 208/10U Transmitter to supply a 4cx10000D.  Is it possible to do this with the right size converter, or would I be better off just ordering the another transformer Cry.

Thanks
Richard (KI6FAB)

SSB is for Sissy's... AM Is For Real Men
N6WDR

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 02:19:19 PM »

I found out the answer to my question, it would take a 60hp rotary phase converter to do the job at $2,500, plus you get the added bonus of up grading to 200 amp service to run both the amp and phase converter Shocked. So it would be cheaper to just buy a new transformer and call it a day with less the hassel Wink.

Richard (KI6FAB)

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 04:00:59 PM »

Sorry to put it this way, but how about not running a tube that will only produce in excess of legal limit power?

Perhaps spend money on a better antenna system first?

The friggin filaments on that tube sucks watts, eh??
Maybe more power than an entire typical 1kw linear??

A 23,000 watt transformer? Talkin' like 100amps of current to supply it? Say what?

Sell the tube, and socket to a broadcast company, buy a good linear?

Maybe I am missing something here... sounds like an 11m idea for the most part?

_-_-WBear2GCR

(Yeah yeah, I know hams have done this and are doing this sort of thing even today...)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
N6WDR

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 09:36:38 PM »

First let me say that I realize what this tube is capable of and that this project is not intended to make it on the airwaves.
I had this Collins 208U/10A transmitter given to me from a broadcast station for the sole purpose to let me play with it.  I have no money tied up in this unit other then the gas money to go pick it up. 

I would like to convert it from three phase to single phase just for the enjoyment of doing it, I have always wanted to own a broadcast transmitter, just call me weird.

As for running legal limit stuff, when I get my general ticket and can transmit, I have a Johnson Viking Valiant that I have been restoring for the last year with a Icom R71A receiver and a mint Henry 2K Classic that I will be using.  I haven’t come up with an antenna system yet, but I am working on it.

As for the 11m comment, that craze went out in the early 80’s

Richard (KI6FAB)

Vinnie/N2TAI
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 10:04:16 AM »

If you are going to operate it at omly one power point it you might get by with a static phase converter like they use on irrigation pumps. Do some internet searching to find out about these. Probably the best solution, most economical, is to find a single phase transformer big enough to run the rig at your chosen power point and reconfigure the power supply. Or for a couple grand you could have a 200amp 3 phase service installed to your house and argue with the power co to keep you on the residential rate
N6WDR

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 11:38:19 AM »

If you are going to operate it at omly one power point it you might get by with a static phase converter like they use on irrigation pumps. Do some internet searching to find out about these. Probably the best solution, most economical, is to find a single phase transformer big enough to run the rig at your chosen power point and reconfigure the power supply. Or for a couple grand you could have a 200amp 3 phase service installed to your house and argue with the power co to keep you on the residential rate

Vinnie,

Thank you for the ideas. I am doing all sorts of research on this.  I am just trying to keep the dollar amount down, so I am in know hurry to jump on anything.  If I keep looking maybe I'll be able to find a single phase transformer used for a cheap price one of these days.  For now it will just sit in the radio room collecting dust. Wink.

Thanks Again,

Richard (KI6FAB)

WBear2GCR

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 12:22:00 PM »

Call me all wet on this if you like...I dunno.

It's nice to have a huge hunk of metal and parts.
Nicer still if you can transmit with it.

Somehow, I don't think ur planning on spending hard earned dollars to fire up a beast that a) ain't on a ham band, b) can't be run legally and c) is gonna spin ur power meter like a carousel gone bezerk??

Now, let's step back for a moment... assuming that you do get ur general license (what's the hold up on that?), IF you wanted to use this beast, the way to go is to strip out the 4CX10000, the socket, the filament supply and the B+ transformer. NOW you've got the basis for a sane 160m rig. Add a sane power tube or tubes (maybe you have to swap out the modulator tubes? What were they on that rig?) DROP the B+ voltage and current, and convert the tank circuit etc...

Sell the 4CX10000 for used or dud value, and the socket, the 3 ph iron and the fil supply iron along with the probably way too large modulator tubes... depending on what they were...

Hope this wasn't an FM transmitter??  Roll Eyes

If it was, then all bets are off...

Exactly WHAT do you think you can do with it, assuming you get the B+ fired up?
That's what I want to know... any idea what a 10kw dummy load looks like??

_-_-WBear2GCR

N6WDR

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 04:06:04 PM »

Like I said before, I am happy just having it sit in the radio room, if I can get it to power up that’s a bonus, if not know great loss, I have know money into it.  I just like the look of the transmitter; I have know interest putting it on the air, as you have said it is way out side the legal limit.

As for getting my general license I am hoping to be ready to take the written next month, then the code test in November. 

To give you a little info about me. I am 42 years old and in the Navy, I am a SeaBee Mechanic and love to tinker around with things.  If you couldn’t tell by my screen name I built and race a 72 vega out here in san Diego CA.  I retire in two years and decided to sell the race car and start getting back into radios.  I enjoyed doing it as a kid in the 70’s with my dad, so I thought I could get back into it with my son which just turned 14 moths old lol.  When I do retire I am moving back out to Oklahoma were myself and the wife are from and planning on purchasing 10 acres out in the middle of know were to put up my station.

Vinnie/N2TAI
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 06:32:42 PM »

You might want to get in touch with W2INR or WB2SYQ the both have reconfigured a Collins 21E, 5KW broadcast rig, to run on single phase house power. They could give you some pointers. I have run the INR rig awsome fun
WBear2GCR

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 10:47:24 AM »

Well, good luck on ur General license...

Hope you get on the air, have great fun, and build wonderful things.

Oklahoma is flat... heh. Big and flat. Not my cup of tea... but probably a good place for Vee beams, Rhombics and Beveridges... maybe we'll catch ya on the 75m AM when the band goes long late at night!

Grin

_-_-WBear2GCR

WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 12:33:44 PM »

A 4CX10000 makes its own conditions. good luck getting it running,
Electric heat is no worse than oil.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 07:03:56 PM »

Flat land is great for RF and Oklahoma is flat for tornados to go through without attenuation.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
N6WDR

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 10:53:46 PM »

Flat land is great for RF and Oklahoma is flat for tornados to go through without attenuation.

Fred

Your right on the tornados going through with out attenuation.  I am trying to figure out how I am going to keep a 75M mono band 2 element Yagi in the air due to the winds back there Grin.

I went back last month to visit my parents and we had a storm blow through with 80mph straight winds for all most 15min straight.  I forgot just how bad it gets there since I haven't reallly been there in almost 18 years.

Richard

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015