The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:22:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The end of another summer.....  (Read 11935 times)
kc2ifr
« on: September 04, 2006, 07:26:20 AM »

Well......made it through another summer. Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 07:55:56 AM »

Yes Bill

And so it begins - - the slide into Winter.

* FALL06.JPG (74.39 KB, 540x360 - viewed 661 times.)

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 09:42:23 AM »

WOW, your trees are changing already?
I hope my second Winter in Western Pa. is better than last Winter. It can get brutal cold in this part Pa.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 03:23:33 PM »

I made promise to myself last spring to get back into fishing and do it at least twice a month.  I haven't gone once this year.  I think I still have some time left to enjoy some peaceful fishing in both fresh and salt water now that the unofficial summer has ended.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 04:40:41 PM »

I made promise to myself last spring to get back into fishing and do it at least twice a month.  I haven't gone once this year.  I think I still have some time left to enjoy some peaceful fishing in both fresh and salt water now that the unofficial summer has ended.

Bob,

Want some fun this time of year?

Take three spinning rods, two with a wire leaders.
Get a pail of two dozen shiners.  Go down to the Connecticut River in Glastonbury, Windsor.. anywhere there is a good accessible bank.

Hook one shiner thru the lips and cast it out as far as possible without any sinker. Let him swim around. He is bait for a Great Northern Pike.

The second rod, (no wire leader)  put on half of a shiner, preferably the head. Guts hanging out are good. Use a sinker and fish the bottom as far out as possible. Big Catfish and big eels will find it.

As these two rods sit waiting for a hit, use the third rod with a red Daredevil lure to cast in and out looking for a big pike. (wire leader with 8 pound test line)

This time of year is the beginning of Pike season. The big catfish are always there too. You might even pick up a stripper on either of the two shinners.

Go in the afternoon and expect the action to start about 3:30PM. After dark, no pike, but you can keep bottom fishing for the big cats and eels - the night is when the big ones really start to hit.

By not using worms, you keep the small fish away.  I've pulled out an 11 pound catfish as well as a few 12 pound pike using this method. Two are mounted on my wall just as a reminder.

The problem is when you hook two big fish at once... Grin  Lovely time.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
ve6pg

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 06:59:48 PM »

...TOOK MY 11 YR OLD FISHING ON FRIDAY...5 NICE RAINBOW TROUT..WEEKEND UP ON THE SHORE OF LAKE HURON...GREAT WX...IT'S NOT OVER YET...!....TIM...SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 09:04:03 PM »

Today was my kids last vacation day. We took my 10 year old son fishing and he caught a nice 10 inch snapper. The rod was bent over and the drap was ripping
it made his day.
Saturday the waves covered Rocky Neck to the board walk. It was impressive to just sit and watch it. 
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 10:35:09 PM »

The best time of the year for camping and other outdoor activities. After Labor Day, the parks clear out and the weather is still fine.  Where I like to camp, its comfortably cool at night, fewer bugs and you dont have to worry that the beer will warm up around the campfire. Fish are still hungry .....   klc

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 05:13:14 PM »

My brother and friends used to go down to Assateague National Seashore.  We'd go there to camp out on the beach, fish and drink beer after Labor Day. When we got bored we'd head into Ocean City, MD to go there to "sight see".  There was still plenty of activity after the unofficial end of summer. Lots of bikini clad girls and places to go to eat and drink.  The fishing was good there if you had a good surf casting rod. And even if it wasn't good it was still fun.

We then changed the camping routine to the State of Maine after the summer.  There was one place and I can't remember the name of it but it was just outside of Portland or Freeport on a cove.  The place would be empty of campers but it was always a good place to camp, eat, drink and fish.  After that.... Things changed.

JJ,
I've never fished off the banks of the CT river.  Sounds like a good time. I'll have to give it a shot sometime.  I've been itching to get my fly rod out and hit the Salmon river here in town. Plus hit many of the small ponds in the area with a spinner and a bucket of shiners for large mouth bass.  Shiners are the way to go no doubt.  I've always had good luck with shiners too.   I miss having a boat and going out into LI Sound for blues, stripers and black fish.  This time of year and into late October is good for bonito.  They can be hard to get at times but worth the effort.  Maybe you, Frank (GFZ) and I can do some fishing sometime.  It's always more fun with a group than solo.  Though solo is better than no fishing at all.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 05:15:47 PM »

I went to a resturant and had Sushi.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
ve6pg

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 07:53:21 PM »

...FALL IS A GREAT TIME FER FISHING...TROUT/SALMON/PIKE/MUSKIE...THINK THEY'RE GETTING READY FER WINTER,AND SOME GREAT FISHING CAN BE HAD...SUMMER HERE IN VE3 IS HOT/HUMID.,ALOT OF FISH APPEAR LAZY,AND DONT GET TOO EXCITED...SPRING/FALL IS THE BEST FER THE BIG ONES...SK...

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 07:51:37 AM »

I went to a resturant and had Sushi.

Gary, the last time I ate sushi, I got food poisoning!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 10:50:48 AM »

We threw the extra bait back in the water for the fish to eat.

Then went back to the house and had peppers and onions with hunks of meat
all cooked in olive oil.
w1es
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 09:24:29 PM »

I just bought a boat and will be picking it up next week!

I bragged to Brentina that I still have at LEAST two more months of good bassin weather now here in NC.  I just washed off my Miata today so that I can drive around with the top down for the weekend.  My older son and I ran the "plugger" on the lawn to loosen up this incredible Carolina Clay so that the lawn can breathe a little.

The boat is still in SC but we will pick it up next week and then I will get some bass fishin' in as I didn't have time earlier this season due to the move, etc.

I hope to have an 80m dipole up in late fall so that I can get back on.  The plan now is to have the "modern" stuff on from the "extra" bedroom and the AM "Old Buzzard" gear from my new "Monster Shed" in the back yard.  It's a LOT easier to run 240V from the shed (and a LOT closer to ground!) so I will have the Amp on from there.  I will just have a dust cover over it when I'm doing woodworking.  The Monster Shed will be my new Guy Room.

In short, we should still have temps in the 80s until early November here.  I LOVE IT!!!
wa2zdy
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 10:14:40 PM »

I hope my second Winter in Western Pa. is better than last Winter. It can get brutal cold in this part Pa.

What's winter?   Snow has not fallen in recorded history here in suburban Tampa.  This is why I moved here.

If I never see snow again as long as I live, it'll be too soon.  Get back to me in February when it's 80 degrees here!
w1es
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 11:09:51 PM »

I hearya. Snow in NC is a rarity but it can happen.  The nice thing here is that I am amongst a bunch of North Carolinians and not a bunch of transplanted New Yorkers (yet).

I still can fish probably 11 months out of the year...
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 06:23:40 PM »

First day of Fall today and it felt like it early this morning, 45 degree F.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 07:45:58 PM »

First day of Fall today and it felt like it early this morning, 45 degree F.

You're Early for the first day of Fall.
Autumnal Equinox is 9/23/06 at 12:04 AM EDST
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/AutumnalEquinox.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 08:02:26 PM »

I realized that about an hour later after posting.  So we have less than 2 days left.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 10:41:55 PM »

It still doesn't matter. I had ICE on my windshield this morning and the National Weather Service has issued a frost advisory for our area. Its too soon for that kind of crap. Angry

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA1GFZ

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 11:49:13 AM »

39.5 in Enfield this morning. Love that solar heat.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 02:27:22 PM »

Got you beat by a degree Frank.  38.5 here in Colchester at 5 AM.  Funny thing too, at some point my thermometer recorded 36.7.  I know we had some cold nights here over the last few weeks but don't remember when.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 03:01:08 PM »

I looked at 6:00. Jack Frost is on the way.
I wonder if the kids will go in the water this weekend?
The new place is a lot warmer with insulation but have 2 jugs of fuel if we need heat.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 06:06:48 PM »

After doing a little poking around for fishing reports for CT on the web come to find out the blues are running full tilt right now.  Went blue fishing last weekend with my brother.  I didn't catch anything but he caught a few snappers.  I'm going tomorrow morning to do some surf fishing off of Waterford Beach early in the AM.  The tide should be rolling in during that hour.  I hope I can get at least one so I can call it a fishing year. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KL7OF

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2006, 01:33:17 AM »

returned from Alaska a week ago... It was full color fall thru the Yukon..fishin was great in Naknek this summer....

* MVC-886F.JPG (60.93 KB, 640x480 - viewed 404 times.)

* MVC-888F.JPG (64.65 KB, 640x480 - viewed 423 times.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015