The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:43:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frequency counter reccomendations?  (Read 9919 times)
W1UK

« on: August 30, 2006, 07:20:22 PM »

Looking for a good value frequency counter.  Any suggestions on what might be a good bang for the buck either new or used?

Jim W1UK

Edward Cain
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 02:23:28 AM »

Hi Jim,
   If you're considering something new, try http://www.cs-sales.com/frco.html. I bought their F1300, no longer  available, about 8 years ago and it's still working fine.

Ed
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 10:14:13 AM »

I use a home brew VFO, and of course there was no way I was going to build a mechanically accurate dial - so I used a frequency counter.  I bought a new unit from Ebay - originally designed for CB use.  It reads in 100hZ steps.  Cost was (as I recall) somewhere between 50 and 60 dollars.

Check out http://www.classeradio.com/vfo.htm for more info.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 11:44:59 AM »

There is a frequency counter kit by the Northern California QRP group (NorCal) , the FCC-1, which looks attractive.  It was featured in an article in QST this past month.  Best for specific applications, not a universal test counter.  The kit is $35, includes all parts, p.c.b. and manual.  No cabinet.  PCB is 1.9" H x 3.05" W x 1.125" deep.

Runs 500 Hz. to 50 MHz.  You can program in frequency offsets and scaling.  Great for upgrading analog boat anchor receivers to digital readout by reading the local oscillator signal.  Small character height on the display though.

Power is 5 Volts at 20 ma.  The power can be reduced further if you interface directly with a CMOS swing or design you own more efficient amplifier stage.

Here is the NorCal page.  You can download the 28 page user/assembly manual also:

http://www.norcalqrp.org/fcc1.htm

For an upcoming receiver project I was thinking of using this assembly.  But instead of piggy-backing the display on top of the main p.c.b., use wires between the LCD and the main board so that the display is upright and pcb at right angle from display, for reduced height - 1.43".

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 04:55:17 PM »

Ya'll don't yell at me BUT
I bought a very nice counter by INSTECH GFC 8010H, 10 HZ-120MHZ from Tucker Electronics about 4 yrs ago. They sell for $175 from "Tequipment.net" or you can get a "quote" from Tucker electronics. It's sensitive enough to clip lead a 40M plug in coil on a BNC cable and read my analog dial transmitters accurately. I spot them with the R390A for a QSO but when the other guy asks what freq we are on I look at the Instech.
This was duruing my working days and $175.00 was nothing to spend.............hi

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KD3CN
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 05:31:23 PM »

I've had no trouble with the Tenma 72-4090 100mhz counter.  I've had two of them for a few years, bought used for about $50 each.  Unlike other counters I've had they never seem to have any trouble with whatever I connect them to.  Good basic counter.  You see them on ebay.

73, Karl
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 09:07:13 PM »

Bunch of counters at http://www.cs-sales.net/frco.html

On Ebay, do a search for Frequency Counters. Tons of them listed.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 12:15:20 AM »

Hi Jim,

I went to a ham radio garage sale about a month ago and picked up 2 nice counters. One is an Optoelectronics model 2210 with a range of 10 hz to 2.2 ghz. It fits in the palm of your hand and works really great. Very sensitive and accurate. Runs off a wall wart or internal Nicads. I would keep an eye out for one of these units

The second one is an HP 5382a with a range of 10 hz to 225 mhz. Works very well and the one I got has option 001 which is the TCXO time base. About the size of a old style 2 meter mobile. Lucky find.

I also have a couple of HP 5245L counters which date to the late 60's I think. They also work well but are full rack width by about 6 " high and fairly heavy. I have one good one and one hanger queen! By swapping cards I can make either one work but not both. Not recommended unless you want a project.

Good luck with your search.

Steve
dalehcook
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 08:59:05 AM »

Jim -

I'll second Steve on the later HP 5xxx series counters, especially those with TCXO timebases. I also like the Sencore counters, which generally have either proportional ovens or microprocessor-compensated timebases. I use a Sencore FC-45 for work because it is compact, rugged, and accurate. Sencores tend to be pricier than the HPs at meets and online, though, as well as harder to find.

- Dale
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 11:56:58 AM »

I got two 5382s at the Berryville Fester for $15.  One was missing the time base xtal but both worked.  Gave the one missing the time base xtal away, to a friend who has a couple for spare parts.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
wa2zdy
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 12:53:18 PM »

Steve mentioned Optoelectronics.   They seem to have a pretty decent reputation for average user stuff.  I don't know about high qualltiy lab use.  Were I looking for a counter, Optoelectronics would be on my list.
dalehcook
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 01:22:44 PM »

Optoelectronics' current counters are perhaps the best of the hobbyist-market counters. My objections to many hobbyist counters concern their timebases, which directly affect counter accuracy. Some use non-standard timebase frequencies, such as those which use a color-burst crystal in the timebase. That makes calibration against WWV or WWVB difficult. Lack of temperature compensation in the timebases of such counters is a second objection.

Some manufacturers do not even specify timebase accuracy. Optoelectronics does specify it, the timebases in their curent counters are the standard 10 MHz, and their M1 counter is available with a TCXO timebase. Those who prefer a compact and truly portable counter, and who do not need the accuracy and stability of a proportional oven timebase, would do well to consider the Optoelectronics counters.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 02:56:52 PM »

Hello
In last month's Q street there was a cheap and dirty freq counter called the FCC-1. Looks like bare bones minimal type of constrcution with a digital readout.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 04:53:04 PM »

I prefer an older HP lab tool than a commerical toy.
Most have the ability for external time base if you want to be crazy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015