The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:31:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SX-42 Restoration  (Read 3298 times)
Edward Cain
« on: August 26, 2006, 09:50:48 PM »

I am restoring an SX-42. I've found the previous posts concerning replacing all paper and electrolytic caps. I have some questions though.
   The previous owner replaced the paper caps with Cornell Tiny Chiefs which I assume are OK. There remain some original? electrolytics though. My manual lists C111, C113 and C116 as electrolytics but doesn't give a voltage rating. Anyone know what voltage is appropriate?
   Can anyone tell me what the original cabinet color was? It looks like it was either brown or black but I can't be sure. Is there still a source for boatanchor paint somewhere?
   Also, was the cabinet lid painted or plated?

Thanks in advance.
Ed Cain
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 11:04:40 PM »

Ed,
Checking the "BAMA' website  returned the op manual and a couple of other things....   For the SX-42, the B+ on the schematic was 250 volts.  what I would do is replace the caps with something higher than 250; 300 volts is a nice starter....The Cap values were 20 , 30 uF... I'd look for something like 33 uF, 350Vdc....   $$  2 or 3  a piece....    

Check out bama, its free...

http://ftp://bama.sbc.edu/downloads/hallicra/sx42-2/Halli_SX42_manualx.pdf

klc

What? Me worry?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 10:59:38 AM »

There are at least three different versions of the SX-42.  I've nver had one that 100% conformed to the BAMA manual.  The SAMS photofact for the SX-42 is closer to the ones I've had, but it has some mistakes also.

Apparently Hallicrafters made some changes in the detector/AVC and the power supply design somewhere along the line.  Also, S-meters don't necessarily interchange between versions either (ask me how I know this).

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 09:04:17 PM »

i have restored several 42's ans 62's. Like John said none of them look like the posted skizmatics. There were several variations of each. My current 42 looks much more like skiz for a 62. However when properly repaired, these radios make most excellent audio!!

The filter caps were originally rated at 450v, however you could easily get away with 350v rated caps as the B+ is rather low on these radios.
                                                                the Slab Bacpn

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015