The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:16:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking II restoration  (Read 7883 times)
xe1yzy

« on: August 16, 2006, 11:39:53 AM »

Hello to all

Im start to restore a Viking II & VFO122, I planning change all electrolitics, black beautis, and paper  caps, any other idea for " a must to" in this rig?

Regards !

TVI WHAT TVI?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 12:13:53 PM »

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/viking2.htm

Make sure all the frequency restricting caps are taken out of the entire modulator.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 02:17:25 PM »

Make sure all the frequency restricting caps are taken out of the entire modulator.

that circuit works even better if you use a 12AU7 with both sections in parallel instead of the 6C4. That has become my standard speech amp / driver circuit for all 100w table top boat anchor tx's.
                                           The Slab Bacon

(That is also basically the stock driver in a ranger.)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 02:18:47 PM »

Hey, Buddly,
                   Where ya been hidin?? Havent heard you on for a Looonnnngggg time!!

xe1yzy

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:12:06 PM »

Thanks a lot guys...

Digging in the junkbox I found a Thordarson Interestage transformer, the ratio is 1-4, Type, T45901... Roll Eyes, I guess is for use with 6C5, what about a smoke test with this?...

TVI WHAT TVI?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 08:04:53 AM »

Thanks a lot guys...

Digging in the junkbox I found a Thordarson Interestage transformer, the ratio is 1-4, Type, T45901... Roll Eyes, I guess is for use with 6C5, what about a smoke test with this?...

I guess it depends on how you are running the modders. If you are running AB1 you may be ok. If you run them AB2 and they need a little grid current, the 1:4 may swamp out a single 6C4 driver. If you have it, try it and see how it works.

Antique enlectronic supply has a nice universal driver replacement that works fine. You can play with the taps and make it do whatever you want it to do. and they're relatively cheap. It is a Hammond unit, and I believe it is around $10 or $12.

xe1yzy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 05:45:24 PM »

Thanks a lot guys...

I guess it depends on how you are running the modders. If you are running AB1 you may be ok. If you run them AB2 and they need a little grid current, the 1:4 may swamp out a single 6C4 driver. If you have it, try it and see how it works.

Antique enlectronic supply has a nice universal driver replacement that works fine. You can play with the taps and make it do whatever you want it to do. and they're relatively cheap. It is a Hammond unit, and I believe it is around $10 or $12.

Ok, many thanks, well this rig needs a complet overhauling,  its a good idea check all the parts needed and yes buy a hammond transformer, after all the fun ends as soon as we put the rig back in the air isn't?, no to many Amers here in Mexico  Sad, but I enjoy a lot this rigs in CW anyways, Thanks Slab Bacon!

TVI WHAT TVI?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015