The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:36:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breting 14 Receiver info wanted...  (Read 4379 times)
W8KHZ

« on: August 06, 2006, 08:55:53 PM »

Hello all...

I picked up an interesting old receiver at Dayton earlier this year, a Breting 14 from approximately 1937 or 1938. I'm looking for any into I can on this receiver. I do have a schematic and a one page discription of the features of the unit but that is it. Ideally I'd like to hook up with somone who has one or has some really good pictures of the underside of the chassis so I can compare the two.  Mine has obviously had some modifications performed early in its lifetime so I want to figure out what the intent was. I have seen reference to a later version of this receiver, the Breting 14AX but am unsure what the difference from the earlier model is... maybe mine was upgraded to the later circuit??  Anyone have any info on this on this receiver??

Thanks,
Brian - W8KHZ

Currently running a big homebrew transmitter (pair of 250THs modulated by a pair of 810s) paired up with a National HRO-50.  I also run a BC-610-I / NC-2-40D combo which is a lot of fun too.

Catch you on 75M AM!
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 11:34:31 PM »

The man you want to talk to who is probably the most knowledgable concerning the Breting 14 is Larry Rosine, W0OG. He wrote the most definitive article to date on the Breting 14 in the Old Timer's Bulletin (now the AWA Journal) for the Antique Wireless Association in the early '90s if I recall correctly. I remember a few points from his article. He warned against trying to restore the Breting 14 to operational condition using the schematic in Riders; if you do it will never work correctly. Seems the receiver design was constantly being modified at the factory (chassis were produced at the Gilfillan factory in CA) on the fly and a faultly schematic was put in Riders to mislead their competition. There are a few control layout variations of the receiver. In the article he said he has reverse engineered a few of them, and when they're restored correctly the receivers are hot as a pistol! I believe the Breting 14AX is the same receiver with the addition of a crystal filter. One feature of the receiver that I've always thought was exceedingly cool is that, aside from the regular speaker output, there is also a 200 ohm output from the audio section enalbling you to use it as the audio amp for the modulator of your AM transmitter! I have a Breting 14 that I bought a few years back at the auction held during the AWA Conference in Rochester, NY, that Larry Rosine put on the block, and it is one of my most treasured communications receivers. It even came with the very rare rack mounting face plate along with the regular desktop cabinet. It requires one of the old field coil speakers, but I can't remember what impedence range the field coil is supposed to be (700 to 1200 ohms strikes a cord, but don't quote me on that!). They were sold with a speaker, but I've never seen what an original matching speaker for the Breting 14 looks like. There is a multiple generation copy of an original owners manual for the Breting 14 complete with schematic (correct?) floating around somewhere out there (BAMA?). About a year or so ago a collector friend of mine turned up the only original copy of that manual I've ever seen, and it's in virtually mint condition! I've been meaning to ask for a hi-res scan of it. Perhaps I need to ask him about it again. I do have a very nice full page and even a two page spread advertisement for the Breting 14 out of a couple of vintage electronics catalogs of the period. If you're interested I can email you hi-res scans of them, just let me know!  Grin
W8KHZ

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 07:32:43 PM »

Thanks Gary for the info... please check your private mail....

Thanks!

Brian - W8KHZ

Currently running a big homebrew transmitter (pair of 250THs modulated by a pair of 810s) paired up with a National HRO-50.  I also run a BC-610-I / NC-2-40D combo which is a lot of fun too.

Catch you on 75M AM!
oldchief

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 02:02:45 PM »

Hello, Brian
     I just stumbled on your query re Breting recievers.
     I am currently working on a 14AX, and I only have the Riders for documentation.
     Have you managed to find a valid schematic?  My  biggest problem at the moment is getting the BFO to percolate. 
     I see from Gary WA4IAM the Riders is not to be trusted.
     I think the 14 AX  is the 14  with  a crystal. The AX also has a 6C4 tube not shown in Riders.
     I have installed chokes in the 14AX and also in a model 40 to let me use 8 ohm PM speakers. The 14AX and the 40 came as a pair from W1BF.  The 40 is an impressive performer, great sound.
      The 40 seems to out-perform the 14AX.
     I have totally recapped both Bretings  using  modern caps. The new caps (electrolytics included) are inside the old condenser cardboard tubes. 
     I'd be curious to  know how your Breting project is coming along.
Jim Richardson
KB1MCV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015