The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:48:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A special Birthday......  (Read 5209 times)
kc2ifr
« on: July 20, 2006, 03:50:15 PM »

A Special Birthday This Week.
 Can you believe it? Monica Lewinsky turned 31 this week. It seems like
 only yesterday she was crawling around the White House on her hands
 and knees. They grow up so fast.
I wonder if Bill sent her a cigar?HuhHuh
 Grin
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 04:52:46 PM »

Yep, and today was the day Niel Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin stepped on the moon 37 years ago.  Seems like yesterday.  I remember my mother allowing me to stay up and watch the 2 or so hour moon walk they did.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 05:52:08 PM »

When Armstrong stepped on the moon 37 years ago today, I was watching it on TV at the Clarkson College Rathskeller up in Potsdam, NY.  Was attending a 2 week summer program for HS students interested in majoring in engineering.  One small step for a man, one great leap for mankind, and one first beer in a college bar for WB2ZPS!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 05:54:55 PM »

Glad Buzz landed on his feet and monica on her knees and not the other way around.
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 06:38:57 PM »

NICE one, Frank !

I suspect I was on Monica Beach as she turned "legal" ten years ago.
We used to camp out in front of the Watergate to catch her arrival by limo, squired by her attorney as the Case of the Human Humidor unfolded.

Here, you can see how the crews took the seats out of the TV trucks for impromptu sofas, along with beach chairs, enjoying a warmer day down near the Potomac River.

The two links show a Grand Arrival, with the motorcycle fellow being "Luigi," a courier for ABC, who later mounted a camera on his helmet for motorcade footage. Behind him are several crew trucks, in pursuit. The next picture is after a heads-up on the radios that She is Underway, but before the moment of realization when we've gotten a Sighting coming down the hill to The Watergate.

http://wa3vjb.amham.com/pics/Monica-1.jpg

http://wa3vjb.amham.com/pics/monica-2.jpg

* monica3.jpg (76.37 KB, 350x185 - viewed 417 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 07:33:50 PM »

Gee Paul,
The last time I stayed in Washington was a block down from the watergate. It was closed back then. Not the best place after dark. XLY was dropped off in front of watergate and had to walk up to the joint I was staying in.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 07:40:11 PM »

How many of us kids watching buzz jump off that foot pad into the dirt of the moons surface hoped he would land properly. That night we all knew we lived in the coolest country on earth. We were all so proud! For a short night we forgot about nam. 
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 11:21:40 AM »

How many of us kids watching buzz jump off that foot pad into the dirt of the moons surface hoped he would land properly. That night we all knew we lived in the coolest country on earth. We were all so proud! For a short night we forgot about nam. 

Great movie about that time and event in history.

The Dish

Highly Recommended viewing !!!
John Holotko

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 11:57:10 AM »

Here's a thought for y'all. If the lunar landing and moon walk were to have happened for the firsttime nowadays, would it generate  the kind of excitement and enthusiasm that it did when it really  happened years ago ?? I wonder because it seems like so many things that totally  fascionated people then doesn;t even faze them today. Case and point, years ago kids both young and old were fascinated when they saw how ham radio works. Today they're not fazed in the least. I grew up in the days when computers filled entire rooms and input and output was done on punched cards, paper printouts and later on in monochrome text on CRT displays. And even though I work with modern day machines I am still amazzed and fascinated by the way this Internet and modern digital communications works. However, most kids are not even fazed by it, with almost an attiotude of "so what, didn't they always have this ??".

So I remember when they first set foot on the moon. It was totally fascinating and we were all glued to the radio and tv set. But if it were to have happened today rather than back then would it draw the same enthusiasm ?? Or have we become so totally  jaded.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 12:15:08 PM »

Some are so jaded, they claim it never happened - just a big gov hoax via Hollywood grade special effects.
wb1aij
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 12:19:39 PM »

What did Bill Clinton do when he wasn't playing his saxophone?Huh??

He played his whore-monica
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »

my Grandmother told me the whole town came out to see the first led zepplin when she was a small girl in Italy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015