The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:45:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any sausage stuffers out there?  (Read 16165 times)
John Holotko

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 12:14:21 PM »

Dunno bout that...  Part of my family was from the Bronx and 100% as Italian as you can get and they never called it "gravy" they always called it "sauce".  "Gravy"was ther bro0wn stuff that goes on meat and potatoes and "sauce" was the red stuff that goes on spaghetti.

Well there ya go!!  thatz what I've been sayin all along!

I guess it's a regional thing. In predominantly Italian South Philly it's "gravy". In Northeast Philly,Kensington, Port Richmond,Mayfair, etc, it's "red tomato sauce". In certain places in "Nawt Jerzee", especially around Newark It's "gravee".

What can I say? If it's red tomato sauce,gravy, or whatever, the proof is in the pudding - hi! Good red sauce or gravy is one of my favorite things in life. Call it what you will; just don't call me late for dinner!

Regards,
           Joe N3IBX

I agree, he real proof lies in how good it tastes.... Smiley And there's nothing I like more than a good sauce. The sauce is the key. It makes the meal.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 01:33:10 PM »

I was saying earlier:

I also picked up a package of sheep casings, and the owner threw in the appropriate stuffing horn for me to make up for a mistake in the cost of shipping. He also warned me that stuffing sheep casings with a #10 grinder is not going to be at all easy. I didn't ask him to elaborate, though I should have, and I haven't tried it myself yet.

Well, now I have tried it myself, and now I understand: it's a genuine pain!  Angry

Think "impedance mismatch". The narrow funnel for stuffing sheep casings (breakfast sausage, hot dogs, that sort of thing) presents a much higher load impedance than the source impedance of the #10 grinder.

Result: the Standing Meat Ratio (SMR) goes through the roof, and you wind up with a lot of reflected meat coming back towards the hopper.

So, Brian (or anyone else who's interested): if you're thinking about doing anything like breakfast sausage, you're going to want to look at a dedicated stuffer. I'll be shopping around for one myself in the very near future.

It took a small eternity for me to stuff 2 lbs of bockwurst into sheep casing (see photo), but the results were well worth it. Also did 5 lbs of polish kielbasa, which was a breeze by comparison. All from two 3 lb pork shoulders and 1 lb of veal (the bockwurst was half pork and half veal).

Next weekend: Sheboygan-style bratwurst!

--Thom
Keep Around One Zesty Ground Critter

* 07-16-06_2215.jpg (23.33 KB, 640x480 - viewed 357 times.)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 03:16:31 PM »

you need the correct size meat conductor. it sounds like you used the rg-58 size stuffer (3/8)... u need the rg-8 size stuffer  (5/8)... you also have the Zepplin feed method .... a cake decorator funnel in one hand and you hold the snausage in the other.... just make sure you have the loading correct for the sausage link size to reduce problems with  TVI ( trans- viner injection ) .     klc

What? Me worry?
k3zrf

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 11:57:01 AM »

You guys are making me hungry......went to local farm market and got 2.5 lbs jalapenos and the rest is history. Mmmmmmm, good with sausage, cheese, etc, and a favorite beverage.

* jalapenocooking.jpg (106.68 KB, 400x265 - viewed 340 times.)

* cooking.jpg (101.99 KB, 400x265 - viewed 335 times.)

* eat.jpg (89.96 KB, 400x265 - viewed 331 times.)

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015