The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:32:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: station desk ground bus  (Read 3971 times)
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« on: July 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM »

OK, so now I am looking for an acceptable common ground bus scheme at my station desk.  I have heard of many schemes that people use including a hollow copper pipe and using hose clamps as attachment clamps.  I have been wracking my brain and the best and most convenient solution would be a ground bus bar from a circuit breaker box like this.

These things are cheap and easily available at Home Despot.  They also seem to provide a solid electrical and mechanical connection.  Aside from the fact that it does not as easily allow attachment of flat braided ground strap instead of and is better suited to using #10/12/14 solid copper house wire, is there a downside to this idea?

Also, if I have a metal desk frame (not the shelves), whould it be better mounted insulated from the frame or mounted directly to the desk frame (electrically grounding it)?

And, should I be using flat braided ground straps or are they over-rated/over-priced?

David, K3TUE
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 11:16:46 AM »

David;

Braided ground strap is far from the best material for ground connections. Over time, the thin individual wires in the braid will oxidize and start to become insulated from one another. I've been using 1 inch wide solid copper strapping. I found some heavy duty stuff on E-bay a few years back.

For a good low inductance shack bench ground I suggest using copper flashing material available at Home Depot. I believe it comes in 4 inch wide rolls. Layout a length of it at the rear of your operating bench, screw it down, the the full width of the bench. If you can't find 1 inch wide strap, make connections from your radio gear to the flashing using short pieces of 12ga solid copper wire (romex scraps)

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 07:46:43 PM »

I've used plumbing Strap. It has holes that are easily connected to equipment and 'bolted to  Cu pipe or flashing.... gud for holding up pipe also.....  klc

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 08:48:39 AM »

A good ground conductor by mil spec is take the length and make the width at least 20%. Copper Strap is always used. Also 2.5 milliohms max per joint. All metal is conversion coated so it stays fresh. No Ox would work for us tax payers.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 09:58:08 AM »

Did you mean to say "conformal coated"?....

Yea, strap is great!... a nice low henrys path to earth.  Grin

A good ground conductor by mil spec is take the length and make the width at least 20%. Copper Strap is always used. Also 2.5 milliohms max per joint. All metal is conversion coated so it stays fresh. No Ox would work for us tax payers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015