The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:45:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Initial Power Up  (Read 2847 times)
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« on: June 28, 2006, 05:28:19 PM »

I was reading Mark, K3MSB's notes on refurb'ing his DX-100 (http://www.k3msb.com/dx100b/dx100b.html) and saw he mentioned his procedure about bringing up an uncertain rig up for the first time.

"I performed the typical bring up sequence with a variac (all tubes removed, then install the rectifiers, then all tubes installed)."

I bought a variac and thought that was all I had to do.  Stupid me.  I checked and saw that my DMM will read up to 10A AC, so I have the readings covered.  But I see from reading that his procedure is even more detailed than is implied by the above statement, since his readings taken (presumably from the DX-100 assembly manual) seem to add the tubes in stages:

1) 6AL5, OA2, and 5V4G (recitifier, voltage regulators, and <?>)
2) 5R4GY's (<?>rectifiers)
3) 12AX7, 12BY7, 1625's (audio)
4) 6AU6, 6AQ5, 5763, and 12BY7A (<?>vfo, driver)
5) 6146's (finals)

Is this common?  It seems much smarter than just plugging it in, saying a prayer, and flipping the switch.

Also, once it is done being rebuilt, do I still need to use a variac every time I power it up?
Should I purchase an Inrush Current Limiter from ER Mag for every tube rig?
Or can I just flick the switch now that it has been rebuilt?
And does solid stating the power supply rectifiers lessen the need to take any of the above measure for power-up as Mark implies at the end of his notes.

I intend to replace the 5V4G and the two 5R4GY's with solid state replacements. This will not only keep things a bit cooler, but will be less wear and tear on the power transformer.

BTW,
I am asking because I own a Globe Scout Deluxe I will be trying to get up and running sometime in the near future.  And I don't want to damage it by doing things wrong.

David, K3TUE
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 11:24:37 PM »

That makes so much sense.

David, K3TUE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015