The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:57:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HB Buzzzard Rig- Need Coils  (Read 4299 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: June 25, 2006, 07:06:52 PM »

Just picked up a sweet HB rig.

It is a Millen exciter modulated by a pair of 6L6s. Also looks to be running a pair of 812s when in CW.

Best I can figure so far is that for phone it is coupled directly from the Millen to the Ant link so it runs less pwr.- Note the red wire runing from the Millen output then coupled to the final ant. coi.

Nice wood and metal construction by a real craftsman. From what I understand he built it in the mid to late 40s. Thought the gang here would appreciate it.

In the meantime I am looking for National TL coils  for 160 and 80.

I welcome any ideas that Buzzard Detectives might have on the xmtr or its operation

http://home.comcast.net/~chnord/kscf.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~chnord/ksc..jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~chnord/kscs.jpg

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 07:14:02 PM »

Just picked up a sweet HB rig.

Wow Carl, that is a real beauty indeed, a once in a lifetime find.
One of the nicest homebrews which I have had the pleasure to see.

If I had any coil sets I'd gladly donate them to the cause.

73 Bruce W1UJR
xe1yzy

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 02:35:11 PM »

Nice Rig  Carl! congratulations, I dont have the 80 or 160 national coils, but i have the plug in conectors, maybe you can wind the coils!.

Regards!

Pedro

TVI WHAT TVI?
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 07:02:11 PM »

Carl - Email or call me (215-493-1926).

I'll do my best to "hook you up". Lemme know if you need both osc and tank coils. I want to hear that rig on the air. It's SCCHHHWEEEETTTT!

Are the coils in the Millen exciter the "round 5 pin socket" type, or "inline"?

Do you have any "foneband" crapstals?

Is there a buffer or buffer-doubler stage in the transmitter; or can it be run straight through?

Best Regards,
                  Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 01:37:37 PM »

thats a sweet HB. I like. ( BOING )
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 01:44:35 PM »

thats a sweet HB. I like. ( BOING )

Derb - Do you mean: "SCHWWWIIINNNNNGGGG"?
Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 01:47:32 PM »

Thanks Derb

Joe,
I hope to fire up at least the exciter this weekend. We will see how long the "honey do" list is first.
KPD/6

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 01:56:57 PM »

Thanks Derb

Joe,
I hope to fire up at least the exciter this weekend. We will see how long the "honey do" list is first.
KPD/6

Carl - That's great to hear! I would have scared you up the coils you need, but I'm in the process of dealing with the flood situation, and the local PO is (to my knowledge) closed. I currently have a riverfront property - hi! The water is about 4-5' from the top of the berm on the Delaware Canal, which is in my backyard. If all goes well, and I expect it will, it won't go much higher. The power has been cut, and I'm currently on generator operation. According to the elec company, power may be restored on Saturday. Everything in the basement shack is FBOM and unscathed, including your coils. They're presently hanging in the rafters! (literally, with the rest of my coils).

I don't have any of the "inline" type completed coils, but I do have some inline jackbars that they can be made from.

When you get back, could you measure the jackbars to tell me their length, and how many pins each one has? That would be a great help in finding an oscillator coilset for 75 and 160M for you. The final tank coils already have your name and call on them.

Best Regards,
                  Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015