The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:38:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You guys want a piece of history?  (Read 2625 times)
Jim, W5JO

« on: June 20, 2006, 09:48:27 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6639296961&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/6639296961_W0QQcatrefZC5QQfclZ3QQfromZR7QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsacatZQ2d1QQsofocusZbsQQsspagenameZhQ3ahQ3afitemQ3aUSQ3fssPageNameQ3dhQ3ahQ3afitemQ3aUSQQfviZ1

Wonder if it would be legal?  It reads that it does CW.
wa2zdy
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 12:29:22 AM »

"Internally the condenser has been upgraded by an early amateur adding to the character of the piece.  You can also note from the photos where the original owner of this Paragon 2-5-U had the set screwed down to the operating table in his shack… a common practice in days gone by!
"

To me that translates as: "some yutz changed the cap and it's funny looking but I won't dare call it that, so it's added to the character."  A transmitter has character?  I suppose we need character witnesses for that.  And: "the same idiot or others whacked some holes in it but if I can convince you that back then guys were worried about theft maybe you'll agree the holes add 'more character.'"

"The last Paragon 2-5-U transmitter to sell in the collecting community was at the Ralph Thorn auction in May of 2002.  The set sold for $5700.  (I actually sold that transmitter to Ralph in the early 1990’s.)   The reserve on this Paragon 2-5-U has been set well below this previous selling price."

Translated:  "I know I'm not going to get the same price for this one since the yutz changed the ammeter, capacitor AND drilled holes in it, but I'll cross my fingers and see what you'll pay for this seriously altered copy."

Maybe I just have no faith and I really am no 1921 expert, but it looks nice, aside from the wrong meter, capacitor and holes.  Small details for only $3800.  At least it's consistent with one common aspect of stuff sold back in the day:  tubes are not included.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015