The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:14:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Slight Mishap  (Read 16402 times)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2006, 08:37:26 AM »

Tom,
       That sucks putty balls!
                                     Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
WB2CAU

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 09:47:38 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

Yeah, how crazy we can get sometimes.

Pete/VZR often tells the story of when he was working on his FT-101E.  The mobile power supply transistors were shorted or something like that. As he "fixed" it it got worse and worse. He finally got so frustrated he grabbed the rig by its rear cable and went outside. He swung it around his head a few times and let it go....

Wouldn't we all love to do that from time to time?  Free ourselves from that special rat rig for good?

T

I recall hearing about Dino's "Naughty Appliance Pile", where he would take any misbehaving ham radio, TV, toaster oven, etc.  and teach it a good lesson by filling it with lead shot... much like that poor yellow Gonset Communicator earlier in this post.  Also, there was the "tube torture rack" where someone (an AMer from Connecticut back in the 80s) would purposefully run infinitely high plate current (or filament voltage) and watch the tube melt down or implode.  That'll teach it a good lesson!

And it was determined that Yaesu installed that handle on the FT-101 series rig to make it handy to perform that necessary punishment when it misbehaved.

Eric

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 10:32:13 PM »

[  Also, there was the "tube torture rack" where someone (an AMer from Connecticut back in the 80s) would purposefully run infinitely high plate current (or filament voltage) and watch the tube melt down or implode.  That'll teach it a good lesson!

It's amazing how much abuse a tube will take - much more than we think sometimes, before it blows.

Who was the guy from CT that melted down tubes??

BTW, mission accomplished - Got a few laughs here and a new chimney to boot. My good friend, Bob W2ZM, looked in his storage shed and pulled out a 4X1 chimney for me. If it survives the shipping, we'll be back in business.  TNX Bob!

Take care, Eric -

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
John Holotko

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 11:59:16 PM »

When I was a kid I had a reel to reel tape machine that was forever giving me problems. One day I was trying to tape something and it started acting up. So I kicked it, then I started hitting it. I gave it a good beating. After the beating the tape recorder started behaving and it worked  perfectly  for the rest of the day. Sometimes a good beating is just the thing for unruly devices.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 07:49:23 AM »

Grin Grin Grin

Yeah, how crazy we can get sometimes.

Pete/VZR often tells the story of when he was working on his FT-101E.  The mobile power supply transistors were shorted or something like that. As he "fixed" it it got worse and worse. He finally got so frustrated he grabbed the rig by its rear cable and went outside. He swung it around his head a few times and let it go....

Wouldn't we all love to do that from time to time?  Free ourselves from that special rat rig for good?

T

I recall hearing about Dino's "Naughty Appliance Pile", where he would take any misbehaving ham radio, TV, toaster oven, etc.  and teach it a good lesson by filling it with lead shot... much like that poor yellow Gonset Communicator earlier in this post.  Also, there was the "tube torture rack" where someone (an AMer from Connecticut back in the 80s) would purposefully run infinitely high plate current (or filament voltage) and watch the tube melt down or implode.  That'll teach it a good lesson!

And it was determined that Yaesu installed that handle on the FT-101 series rig to make it handy to perform that necessary punishment when it misbehaved.

Eric

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!! Grin Grin
Sometimws you just gotta VENT!! You just gotta take all of those pent up frustrations out on SOMETHING!

I had a similar enjoyable experience a few years ago with a balky weed wacker. The rings were about shot and it was getting to be quite a bear to get started. The final straw whas when the drive cable broke in the middle of a trimming session on a very hot day. I taped the throttle wide open, started it up, and grabbed it by the bottom of the shaft. With the engine running wide open I swung that SOB as hard as I could smashing the still screaming engine into a concrete wall. It was way kool, parts flew EVERYWHERE!! My frustrations were relieved, it was way kool, and I sat back and basked in the "afterglow"!! Grin

Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do!!
                                                                     The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 10:34:29 AM »

you shudda got some "Nitro" from the model airplane crowd, and filled up the gas tank and let her rip.....

What? Me worry?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 01:12:34 PM »

you shudda got some "Nitro" from the model airplane crowd, and filled up the gas tank and let her rip.....

never gave it a moments thought, the shame was that I had some!!

w1guh
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2006, 11:00:25 AM »

The lesson I've learned too well too many times....

When one gets PO'd at an inanimate object, the inanimate object always wins.

In a skiier's world...

Don't get PO'd at the mountain, it'll always win.

Now, cuss words are a different matter.  How many car fix-em-ups could never have been accomplished without cussin' a blue streak?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2006, 12:21:55 PM »

The lesson I've learned too well too many times....

When one gets PO'd at an inanimate object, the inanimate object always wins.

In a skiier's world...

Don't get PO'd at the mountain, it'll always win.

Now, cuss words are a different matter.  How many car fix-em-ups could never have been accomplished without cussin' a blue streak?

Cuss words ALWAYS work!! I have even invented a few new ones of my own over the years Grin Grin

But, you know, they just dont seem to work as well if there isnt someone else around to hear them! Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2006, 05:23:45 PM »

Pete whirled that 101 over a swimming pool tom!   my 101, that I reversed connected
the 12v, went to my naughty appllllliance pile and met with Dr 30-06, and his 3
assitants.  nurse .357, lab tech .45long colt and annatheezzeeologist Dr 12 gauge!

am forever!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2006, 06:59:52 PM »

No Dr. Black and his amazing powder??

What? Me worry?
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2006, 10:31:35 PM »

I forget why I was even angry, but I started pounding on the corner of a cardboard box, but it wasn't satisfying, so I hit it harder.  As the box packing caved in and I caught the corner of the speaker that was inside, twisting my wrist unexpectedly, the pain was... well, not gratifying, but sufficient.

Another time, I had collected quite the ring of radio keys, and of course some other tech needed one that I had...  I was so pissed off that I would probably lose the key and never see it again, that I took the whole ring, and threw it as hard as I could into the front of my truck.  The ring broke, and the keys went flying in all directions like doughnuts in some video game.  That was pretty stupid.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2006, 11:00:08 PM »

the worst crap out I ever had was with the Derb-100. The low level speech amp went positive feedback ballistic and crapped out every possible transformer in the modulator and speeach amp and bew out some other HV stuff. Slab can vouch for this crap out. It was a king of all crap outs.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2006, 07:27:44 AM »

the worst crap out I ever had was with the Derb-100. The low level speech amp went positive feedback ballistic and crapped out every possible transformer in the modulator and speeach amp and bew out some other HV stuff. Slab can vouch for this crap out. It was a king of all crap outs.

Ah, Yes, I resurrected it form the dead! That is a whole story in itself.  Grin Grin

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2006, 09:56:38 PM »

I burnt some 811 once.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015