The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:41:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ranger mod: to replace the interstage audio coupling transformer  (Read 5859 times)
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« on: June 02, 2006, 08:31:30 AM »

I have posted a Ranger modification on my Web page

http://mysite.verizon.net/sdp2/id13.html

It uses a simple 3-FET circuit to substitute for the audio interstage coupling transformer.

The advantage of this approach is that it provides a high input impedance / very low output impedance interface between the plates of the 12AU7 driver tube... and the grids of the modulator tubes. As a result, the low frequency performance is improved.

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 08:42:42 AM »

Stu,
      Nice circuit, but isnt that taking the long way around the block??
1/2 of the existing 12AU7 and a couple of resistors and capacitors works fine for the fuzz inverter. I have done it many times. the component values of the required parts are pretty nonspecific, and most old gear people should have them lying around.

I just did a ranger with 6550s, the 6550s in ab1 require so little drive that just about anything that tickles the grids will work. They are nice tooobz!!

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 10:26:39 AM »

Frank

Good point! This circuit may be a little more complicated than needed. I started out using just one (1) FET to make the phase splitter (which also could be done using 1/2 of the 12AU7).

When I did that, I noticed some instability on modulation peaks... corresponding to driving the grids of the modulator tubes slightly into conduction (i.e., into AB2). The two (2) source followers fixed that problem.

However, I agree that if the tubes are keeped well away from AB2, then the simple approach of using 1/2 of the 12AU7 as a phase splitter will probably work just as well.

Best regards
Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 11:23:58 AM »

Hello
I eliminated the interstage tranny in my AF-67 by converting the parelled connections of the existing 12AU7 into a phase inverter with 3 caps and about 6 resistors. My freq response was better. Looks like 70-5Khz on the modulated carrier.

fred

Fred KC4MOP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 02:10:17 PM »

I eliminated the interstage tranny in my AF-67 by converting the parelled connections of the existing 12AU7 into a phase inverter with 3 caps and about 6 resistors. My freq response was better. Looks like 70-5Khz on the modulated carrier.

I modified a  ranger years ago by taking the DC off the primary of the driver xfmr, and then cross-laminating the transformer. 

To take the DC off the winding, run a plate resistor ( as I recall, 30K but it may have been 10K - this was 30 years ago) from the parallel 12AU7 plates to the HIGH VOLTAGE +600 plate supply. Insert a 1 mfd 600v cap between 12AU7 plates and the driver xfmr primary.  Disconnect the bottom side of the primary from the +250 volt supply and connect it to ground.

Fire up the Ranger.  The voltage drop in the plate resistor should be just enough to maintain the normal voltage on the 12AU7 plates. (If it is way too low, try a 10K resistor instead of 30k).  BTW, as I recall, I used a 5-watt resistor for  the plate resistor.  To be sure, calculate using Ohm's law.  The audio should work as normal, with noticeable improvement in the low frequency response, due to the DC bias current being taken off the primary and elimination of the saturation of the core.

For much improved audio response, remove the driver transformer.  Pry off the metal bracket that holds the laminations together and serves as a mounting bracket for the transfromer.  Carefully remove the "I" laminations, then gently push the "E" laminations out of the  core.  It may help to warm the transformer in an oven to about 150 degrees F to soften the wax - but don't overheat it beyond that  temperature, to the point of causing the paper to deteriorate.  Now, reassemble the laminations into the core, alternating the direction of each set of E and I laminations, stacking them like a power transformer.  The last set may be difficult to insert, but with a little care and patience it can be done.  I would advise the following procedure: note the direction the last set needs to go, remove a couple of the other sets, insert the last set in the proper direction, then wedge the two sets you removed back into the core between the other  laminations, and carefully force them all the way until they are even with the rest of the laminations.  That way you don't risk gouging the paper insulating spool that holds the wire on the windings, as you insert the final set of laminations.

I recall that with mine, after cross-laminating the transformer, the frequency response was flat down to about 30~ after replacing some of the interstage coupling caps with higher values.  I also removed the shunt capacitors that I recall going across the driver and modulation transformers.  This immediately resulted in self-oscillation due to phase shifts that occurred at higher audio frequencies (most likely in the "ham radio quality" driver and modulation transformers), turning the negative feedback into positive feedback.  I simply disabled the neg feedback loop by disconnecting the feedback winding on the mod xfmr, and bridging across the open connection in the speech amplifier circuit where the winding went.

That greatly improved the high frequency response, and I found that with the xfmr modification and larger coupling capacitors, the negative feedback was not necessary for good frequency response and low distortion.  The overall freq response and  distortion level were much improved over the stock circuit, and it required only two new components - the 1.0 mfd coupling cap, and 30k (or 10k?) 5-watt plate resistor.

One note of  caution:  if the Ranger modulator is to be used as a driver stage for a high power class B or AB2 modulator, for example for the desk kw, the feedback circuit is essential to make it work satisfactorily as a class-B driver, so I would leave the feedback circuit intact, and experiment with how little shunt capacitance can be used before self-oscillation sets in.  I suspect that's the real reason for the neg feedback circuit, since the Ranger was designed to also serve as a driver for the Johnson KW.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 02:24:50 PM »

Don,
        That is too much like work! the fuzz inverter mod is so simple and only takes a few minutes to do. As long as you are running AB1 modulators and dont need to push them into grid current, the fuzz inverter is fine. Try some 6550s for the modders, you only need to tickle them to really swing the monkey!! And besides, getting the driver transfoma out from under the chassis of a ranger frees up a little extra room for other things.
                                            The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015