The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:37:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Direct Hit!!  (Read 11822 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »

"At the same time my wife was in the bathroom at the sink - screaming. She turned to see a blue ball about the size of a basketball come through the door, appear to look around and dive into the bathtub and go down the drain! "

Maybee you and ur wife escaped SHC!!         ( spontaneous human combustion - this sounds like fodder for an Art Bell phune call )

klc

What? Me worry?
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 11:06:42 AM »

Hey Slab!

I'm happy to hear that you're ok and ur stuff seems ok too...

We took a hit about 3 poles down from my place that blew the link and insulator apart last week. Took 'em about 7 hours to finally get around to fixing it, that was 1PM... no matter tho'. That area seems to be a lightning magnet! There are frequent hits there, and it is a relatively flatish area, with a small pond kinda in that area. Seems to like it over there... about 300 ft and more away from the QTH to the east. Dunno why. Keep it that way, and I'm happy.

Just don't build a house there...  Wink

I think what was actually happening is that this is a clear message from above to upgrade your speaker cables immediately!! [/i]... just thought you would want this incident "clearly interpreted" for you...  Grin

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2006, 03:42:06 PM »

Guys, I thank all of you for your concerns! The main thing is that no one was hurt. I was talking to the neighbor who saw it this morning she is still a little shook up after seeing it happen live. IAs I go through the normal things of life, I am finding other signs of damage from the hit. Nothing really major but one was a little troubling.

1. My 20 year old alarm clock rario / telefone in the bedroom.
2. My mercury vapor light ( got the direct hit).
3. One of the squiggle tube flourescent replacement bulbs in the lamp in the 
     basement tv room.
3. My flatbead scannner in the computer room.
4. The telefonium modem in the computer.
5. My Johnson Valiant transmitter.

All of the antennas were disconnected when it happened. Tle line bypass caps and the bypass caps on the 120v antenna relay output (and some associated wiring) were fried literally to ashes! Go figger, the Valiant has been such a workhorse,
truely an appliance as it has not been out of the cabinet for many years! The valiant was repaired and tested last nite. It was also good opportunity for a little cleaning and maintenance that it well deserved. Everything else except the outside light has now been repaired, and I am headed to do that after I leave here.

Thank you all for your concerns and support. Best 73 to all!!

The Slab Bacon

OH..........Bear!! Grin Grin I dont need to upgrade the speaker wires! I need to upgrade the underground wiring to the pole light. If I would have had oxygen free / vacuum insulated power cable, the lightning couldnt have jumped through the vacuum and I would not have had any damage at all!! Wink

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2006, 04:24:08 PM »

<snip>
Thank you all for your concerns and support. Best 73 to all!!

The Slab Bacon

OH..........Bear!! Grin Grin I dont need to upgrade the speaker wires! I need to upgrade the underground wiring to the pole light. If I would have had oxygen free / vacuum insulated power cable, the lightning couldnt have jumped through the vacuum and I would not have had any damage at all!! Wink

Glad the Valiant got fixed...

But you're way off on that vacuum insulated power cable!!
What you wanted was ARGON or NEON or HeNeAr filled power cable!!
Ya see, the inert gas would have ionized like a giant NE-2 bulb, or one of those gas filled overvoltage gizmos those city slickers seem to fancy!!

Think of how that would have looked!!  Cool

And, I am telling you that it was a sure sign from above to upgrade ur speaker cables!!   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

_-_-WBear2GCR

PS. I doubt that "grounding" the light better would have done anything much... afaik the "trick" is to bleed off the charge in the area... making it less possible for the air to suddenly ionize and permit the discharge to occur in the first place. That would be a ground (ok) with a sharp pointy rod at the end of that ground and at the top of the pole that holds the light!

PPS. If and when the "taller" tower gets up from the horizontal position it now occupies to the vertical position it ought to occupy I fullly intent to equip the top of the mast with a stainless whip that has has the tip ground to a *fine* pointy point!  Wink   Haven't decided if it makes any sense to use one of those heavy duty mobile mount springs or not.    Roll Eyes     What's the consensus on that??

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 10:08:09 AM »

Frank,
Glad to hear your alarm clock took a hit. Think of all the pain it has caused you over the years. Monday...Monday.....fc
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015