The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:17:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breathing New Life Into the ARRL Community Education Project  (Read 19160 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: May 26, 2006, 01:37:29 PM »

NEWINGTON, CT, May 26, 2006--A generous $15,000 grant from the Dayton Amateur Radio Association (DARA) will enable the ARRL to rejuvenate its Community Education Project (CEP).
DARA worries that today's younger generation views Amateur Radio as "an old person's hobby," Kalter said. "If we do not educate the general public and our youth, Amateur Radio will surely die, and this great national treasure will be gone forever."

For the complete story, go here:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/05/26/1/?nc=1

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 06:21:47 PM »

Those kids (or their parents) plunk down $3k or more for high-end gaming PCs all the time. And this is on top of the price of PSPs, GameCubes, iPods and cell phones. Money ain't the problem. It's interest, or the lack thereof.
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 07:31:35 PM »

Should AARP try to market itself to teenagers?
They could try, but there's not much in common.

The existing demographic of ham radio also skews older, so why not build on that instead of trying a public relations push that won't reach most young people.

People who are "done" with the child-rearing thing, and/or established in their careers, and now have spare time and money for a hobby are a far better fit with the others we already encounter in the hobby.

Return on investment ?  Well, it's not as if that demographic will suddenly get older and die off. The oldest folks today will be succeeded by somewhat less-elderly folks who will benefit from what could become an established pattern of recruitment.

Hey, maybe they can spend that money on the "young" 50-somethings just coming into AARP's recruitment sights.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 08:08:14 PM »

You all are scaring me......

What? Me worry?
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 12:38:33 PM »

People who are "done" with the child-rearing thing, and/or established in their careers, and now have spare time and money for a hobby are a far better fit with the others we already encounter in the hobby.

The oldest folks today will be succeeded by somewhat less-elderly folks who will benefit from what could become an established pattern of recruitment.

Yep, that's a good way to put it.  Why fight the trend? Go with the flow of easiest resistance and dangle the carrot to those who are easier sales. When these candidates tune the bands, they will hear like-minded people. A great come-hither.

And, as Paul said, the elderly hams will be replaced by the less-elderly. That could go on indefinately.   

Though, there IS something to be said about introducing young people to radio so they later have something to come back to in later years. Much like a salmon returning to its original stream... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 02:04:16 PM »

I noticed a lot more young people at hostraders this spring...with girls in toe.
Maybe it is us prebuzzards who are out of step. remember when we were the jns running around buying every bread slicer in sight. The older guys ignored us like we were picnic ants.
no kids no lids no space....

I just had a similar conversation with my kids last night about spending money on every toy that comes out.. It is all about choices of how you spend money and time.
$3K one eyed baby sitter is high on the yuppie to do list.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 05:28:32 PM »

That's what happens when lawyers, rather than engineers, make policy at the FCC (where the transmission standard was set into Part 73 of the FCC Rules).

Engineers should provide input but not set policy.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 09:26:04 PM »

Some say the current FM stereo system was the inferior choice. Kinda begs the question if the US ever was the leader in BC tech.

But none of this has anything to do the ARRL. It's a shame QST has few construction article anymore. But a hardcopy periodical is pretty much passe. And even at its best, QST stood second to the handbooks for anyone doing construction. Today's reality finds thousands of construction projects available on the Web, free of charge - probably more than were ever printed in QST over all the years. And many are found on personal ham web pages with email addresses, allowing easy access for questions and pointers. Such never existed with QST.

So, although QST has less technical content than in the past, I don't see it as the cause of, or the reason for the continuation of less technical capability among hams. There are far more technical resources available online today than there ever were in hardcopy in the past. And as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. If you want to recruit younger people into the hobby, you better have a strong presence on the net or you will not be seen, or taken seriously.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 08:19:26 PM »

"but I am disinclined to lug a laptop around (or to pay over $1K for one) to look up a schematic or a math formula."

Not sure why you would even consider this a point to argue. No one in their right mind is proposing such. The majority of the math formulas needed have been in hardcopy for decades. No need for the ARRL or anyone else to publish this stuff. Further, since most construction is going to take place at work bench, it's hardly unreasonable to look up something on the computer (not necessarily a laptop) that you already own. I'm calling red herring on this one.

The point of discussion is construction information. Given the vast amounts available on line, what the ARRL does or doesn't do is irrelevant. The info is there for those who want it. Blaming the ARRL is wasted and misguided effort.

Of course the Russian claim to have done all the broadcast tech things you mentioned, only 10 years before the US did. So, maybe they were the leaders!  Wink
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 09:29:24 PM »

only that the ARRL programs and publications are worthless or close to it.

Please explain, with details, how the current edition of the ARRL handbook is worthless.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 08:17:04 PM »

A lot of the reference tables are long gone,

Which reference tables?

as are many of the better construction articles.

Such as? What makes a construction article better?

AM? Forget it! 

There's more in recent handbooks on AM than there were in 1978.

The Handbook started going down the toilet after the 1978 edition. Some of the basic math formulae are still there, but the Handbook is a shell of what it once was. 

A shell. How exactly? These generalities are not useful.

The RSGB publications and the Radio Handbook written by the late Bill Orr (W6SAI) are far superior to the ARRL Handbook.

In what ways? What content (especially regarding AM) do these handbooks have that the ARRL version doesn't have?

I will retract my earlier statement, as the current edition of the ARRL Handbook is not totally worthless. It could serve me well as a doorstop.

Good one but does nothing to support your argument.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 08:48:11 PM »

I love my ARRL Handbook.

* arrlheart.gif (34.25 KB, 490x520 - viewed 783 times.)

W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 06:33:01 AM »

Pete ,

You have way too much time on your hands Smiley

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 08:08:17 PM »

Pete ,
You have way too much time on your hands Smiley

My attempt at using banner animation software:

* makesyouhappy.gif (32.67 KB, 125x125 - viewed 593 times.)

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 09:34:37 PM »

The tube basing diagrams and ratings sheets, for one thing. Bill Orr's handbook contains a gold mine of information, including tables and formulae for calculating the component values in pi networks.

These a both still in the ARRL handbooks. Not sure what you are talking about here.

t's nice to have material in there promoting the latest advances in technology, but many of us just want to set up something practical to get on the air.

Plenty of simple RX and TX projects, linear amps, antennas and tuners in recent handbooks. Once again, I don't get your beef.

Still waiting for all the AM stuff that is in recent Orr and RSGB handbooks.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 11:38:28 AM »

Steve said:
These a both still in the ARRL handbooks. Not sure what you are talking about here.

Steve,I have a handbook, (hard cover) I bought in '92. It had very few tube diagrams and parameter. Most settled around the ceramic triodes and tetrodes used in current amplifier manufacturing.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 01:30:43 PM »

My attempt at using banner animation software:

Of course, both the mullet wig and my ARRL membership are LONG GONE! Also, the contents of my Web site are copyrighted, so you might want to take that into consideration before stealing pictures or other material from there and using them without my permission.

Whatever makes you happy!

* Happy Person.gif (6.34 KB, 123x142 - viewed 643 times.)

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 07:08:35 PM »

Where are the tables for pi networks in the League's handbook?  I had several editions and did not see those things in the more recent ones (which I threw away).

Should have looked a little closer before tossing.

- Check page 13.9 of the 2004 Handbook - Table 13-1, Pi Network Values for Various Plate Impedances

- Check page 13.9 of the 2004 Handbook - Table 13-2, Pi-L Network Values for Various Plate Impedances

Numerous sw and spreadsheets available on the Web for calculating these values too.

The last edition in which I saw tube basing diagrams and rating info was the 1978 edition, which was printed on very cheap paper. In the more recent editions, those things were absent.

- Check page 24.28 of the 2004 Handbook - Triode Transmitting Tubes

- Check page 24.29 of the 2004 Handbook - Tetrode Transmitting Tubes

- Check page 24.30 of the 2004 Handbook - TV Deflection Tubes

- Check page 24.30 of the 2004 Handbook - EIA Vacuum-Tube Base Diagrams

I'll admit these aren't as extensive as in the past. But even 70's version of the Handbook weren't as good as 50-60s versions in this area.

You won't find a recent Orr handbook, since Bill Orr passed away some years ago.

So I guess those handbooks aren't any better than the ARRL versions after all.

The definitive handbooks for the things that many people on this board are interested in are the Engineering Handbook by Terman (long out of print, but I bought one at a hamfest) and the Radiotron Designer's Handbook, which may be available as a reprint from the same people who are reprinting the RCA receiving and transmitting tube manuals. 

Absolutely! I have all of these. Anybody who messes with older gear should have these, IMHO. Got mine a fests too. Most are available in electronic form too. And the tube info available on-line is huge. That's why I can't get too exercised about what in or not in recent editions of any handbook. All the good stuff is already out there, for lots less money.

Where does the ARRL Handbook, or any amateur radio publication for that matter, mention the folded unipole antenna? It is an excellent antenna for lower frequencies and limited space, yet I got my design information from broadcast industry publications.

You got me on that one. I would imagine there are some other antenna designs from the broadcast realm that could be brought the amateur realm. But, I think historically, most antennas were in the professional realm before the amateur realm. In all seriousness, maybe you should write an article. You could always publish under a pseudonym if you didn't want your name in QST. Wink
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 07:50:27 PM »

whatz the difference between a folded unipole and a folded monopole ?  klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 09:02:42 PM »

whatz the difference between a folded unipole and a folded monopole ?  klc

One letter.
2ZE
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 08:36:12 AM »

Where does the ARRL Handbook, or any amateur radio publication for that matter, mention the folded unipole antenna? It is an excellent antenna for lower frequencies and limited space, yet I got my design information from broadcast industry publications.

ARRL antenna Handbook 18th edition (1999) page 2-15.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 09:00:52 PM »

I would never write for the League, but I would gladly write an article for Electric Radio and for the German publication Funkamateur

But you'll bitch that there is no technical content in QST. WTF?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 07:08:24 AM »

pwned  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2006, 10:38:06 PM »

Many people (including myself) bitched about no AM content in QST until one of our own, Paul, WA3VJB, wrote an article, and QST published. Several more followed by others. Now there is a historic/old equipment column in every issue.

But, if you insist, then I'll be waiting for your folded unipole article in ER. Or how about here or The AM Window Web Site. You'll reach a hell of a lot more people on the Web than in any ham rag. Come fella, show us what you got.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 10:50:27 PM »

Your choice on the files. I can do up CAD-type drawings if you send hand sketches. I know you have tons of good stuff stored in your gray matter. Thanks for helping out the rest of us and sharing. The AM community is better for it.
 Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015