The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:22:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Cycle 25 peaking around 2022 could be one of the weakest in centuries.  (Read 3742 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: May 11, 2006, 07:43:47 PM »

The Sun's Great Conveyor Belt has slowed to a record-low crawl, according to research by NASA solar physicist David Hathaway. "It's off the bottom of the charts," he says. "This has important repercussions for future solar activity."

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/10may_longrange.htm?list52655

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 09:14:08 PM »

Who cares about Cycle 25; look at prediction for Cycle 24. By the time Cycle 25 comes along, I'll be happy just to see the morning each day. Sunspots probably won't be high on my list.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 01:26:34 AM »

Agreeed. Who gives a flying F about what's going to be happening with the sun 22 years from now, let alone the world. Wonder if we will still be enjoying life as we know it on this planet even 10 years from now. This thing called ham radio is still just a hobby. There are much more important things to be thinking about 22 years from now than propogation.

Don't get me wrong. I love the hobby but having to go thru what I am currently going thru, really brings home that life is fragile and we really need to enjoy what we have today and life for what we have right here, right now, cuz it just might be ripped out from under your feet at any moment.

Nothing personal Don.

Paul
VE7KHz

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
W3DBB

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 10:16:41 AM »

Doug

beautiful downtown Strodes Mills, Pennsylvania
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 02:15:17 PM »

Agreeed. Who gives a flying F about what's going to be happening with the sun 22 years from now, let alone the world.

Actually, 2022, that's just 16 years from now.  Thinking backwards for the same time period puts us in 1990.  Doesn't seem like all that long ago.  I can recall several homebrew projects that I eventually finished, that were WIP's through more than one sunspot cycle.

Wonder if there will still be AM? ham radio? internet? BPL? What will our computers be like?  Will the USA (or insert name of country) still exist?  We may all be struggling to speak Arabic or Chinese by then.  Our primary method of transport might once again be the horse.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015