The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:51:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-102 help  (Read 4997 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: May 10, 2006, 04:49:57 PM »

Got an FT102 that is acting flakey.  It seems to have intermittent receive or weak receive.  No matter where in or on the chassis I tap and as lightly as I tap the receive audio cuts in and out.  I suspect the problem to be on or near the driver board where the infamous relays are. Though I'm 90% on this.  As far as I can tell the relays check OK.  And had been replaced a few years ago.  Wiggling various wires and cables seems to give the same result as tapping.  Transmit check OK. Any common problems with the FT-102 anyone know of?  Thanks.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 05:37:41 PM »

Hi Bob,

Trying pushing lightly with an insulated rod to zero in on the loose connection.

You might also try that cold spray for a lighter touch.

It's usually the relays  -  but maybe a blob of solder shorting something or a wire that is crossing a track.

Fortunately, these kinds of problems are easier to find than say a component that is lossy.

Good luck -

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 05:51:46 PM »

Tom,
I think I've zero'ed it down to a connector on the driver board. I don't know that for sure because I haven't pulled the board yet and I'm not looking forward to pulling it out.  The connector feels tight when plugged in but I'm suspecting possibly a poor solder connection on that connector on the solder side of the PC board.  Is the FT 102 prone to bad solder connections?

BW

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 07:18:26 PM »

Yes, there's lots of plugs and wires that go directly into the boards. Like some radios of the era it's known for this problem.

I've had my share with four FT-102's here, but for the last few years they have all behaved.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 08:34:59 PM »

Thanks Tom,  I'm pretty sure now the  problem is located at this connector.  If I put a little pressure on the outside of it and wiggle the wires that plug into it the problem goes away.  And also while holding it and tapping the board there seem to be no cut-outs.  Now I have to work up the nerve to pull that board out.  It's really crammed in there. 
Thanks.
BW

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 11:49:47 AM »

Spray deoxit on all connector contacts. The plating breaks down over time and causes poor connections.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 08:46:46 AM »

Well,  I found the problem.  Definitely a cold solder joint on the connector mentioned in a previous post.  Went through all the trouble to try to remove the relay/driver board and discovered that the solder side of the board can be accessed from underneath by removing a plate in the chassis.  So I had to reassemble everything I took out but got to the solder side of the board and resoldered all the suspicious looking solder joints.  Rig is back to normal.  Thanks for the help.
B

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 11:15:35 AM »

Yes, I found the same thing on a few boards that held heavy components. As you know, that is a weakness of the hybrid tube/solid state era. It's good you successfully got at the board and took a shotgun approach to resoldering the suspect connections.

All in all, the FT-102 sure has a FB receiver. It's worth maintaining. I see no difference between them and my FT-1000D. (Except for the 1000D's weighed dial and dual diversity reception).

T

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 04:23:32 PM »

I've noticed with a lot of components that have a big lead and might carry some current through it they have a tendency to end up with cyrstalized solder connections.  And then there are those leads that aren't bent over to make a mechanical connection, they also seem to end up with weak solder joint.  A simple reheat and application of some 60/40 fixes everything. 

I'm very happy with the rig overall.  I bought it used, probably 15 or so years ago.  It worked fine when I brought it home.  I've had a few minor problems with it during that time most of which have happened in the last 7 or so years.  Relays were replaced and have never had a problem with them.  Had an audio problem last year caused by a bad cap.  And recently a couple of poor solder connections.  Overall I can't complain.  The problems have been simple to fix and the rig keeps on tickin'.  The receiver can't be beat, no doubt about that.  Just wish I could use it much as I'd like...

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015