The AM Forum
June 25, 2024, 07:05:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another great Hosstraders!  (Read 11622 times)
KA1ZGC
« on: May 06, 2006, 03:07:40 PM »

Just got back to the apartment, and I gotta say that this was one of the best Hosstraders I've attended in years.

Had a great time guest-operating W1E (until that pissant morality cop came by and picked a fight with me Angry ).

Tom, SQE had some damn fine vittles as always, too bad the grill melted the tabletop!

It was great to see Jeff, WLZ again! Haven't seen that miscreant since we both worked at Digital 15 years ago!

Great to meet Paul VJB, Pete VZR, and several others for the first time!

A few passing sprinkles late Saturday morning, no big deal.

Even got a flyover by seven (by my count) Warthogs during the drawing! Too cool!

Looking forward to the fall Hosstraders. I'll probably just be recovering from this one!

Off to bed, looking forward to the barrage of pictures when I wake up!

--Thom
Kilimanjaro Africa One Zulu Goat Cheese
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 03:23:55 PM »

I too had a good time. Made my first overnight at Hosstraders.  Definitely a nice treat to meet a fine bunch of people and radio ops.

Thom (ZGC), I didn't get to meet you though. Oh well, I'll see you in the fall then.

Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 03:30:31 PM »

I too had a good time. Made my first overnight at Hosstraders.  Definitely a nice treat to meet a fine bunch of people and radio ops.

Thom (ZGC), I didn't get to meet you though. Oh well, I'll see you in the fall then.

Bob

Actually, I think we did meet. I was wearing a Red Sox t-shirt on Friday and my black Piss & Moan t-shirt today.

If you go over to the AM News section of the board and look at the W1E pics Paul posted you'll see me in the background behind Larry, NE1S, with my Sox shirt on and a lit smoke in my hand.

There were so many faces, names and calls flying around that it's tough to keep track sometimes!

We'll certainly see you in the fall, Bob!

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 03:35:52 PM »

Hi Thom,
Stupid me for not remembering.  So many faces, names, callsigns and beer. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 04:08:18 PM »

I am writing this at 72.7 mph on I-84 south via wi-fi, to say I really enjoyed seeing you guys.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 06:12:30 PM »

Good to see you again Paul...keep your eyes on the road please....

I didn't buy a lot of stuff but my first grade buddy Gary WA1EWQ handed me two jars of pickled egg plant before we left. They were his batch but Friday night we did a jar from his father in law. Very tender and different spices than my Dad uses.....
Steak on the grill and wine it was heaven.
Frank we had a spare steak for you..................
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 10:00:16 PM »

9:55pm Saturday evening and I just arrived home.

It WAS a great time. I had the chance to meet many new AMers in person!

Last I looked there were over 72 AMers that had signed in up at the coral.

Comgratulations to Brent and all involved with W1E. It was a great success. Thanks for putting us on the air this weekend.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
W1QWT

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 11:28:49 PM »

Had a great time guest-operating W1E (until that pissant morality cop came by and picked a fight with me  ).

Hi Thom,
I think I was working you, from 50 feet away into a dummy load, when this guy got his undies in a bunch. I hope it was nothing I said that set him off on you. I know I made a comment about a STD avoidance QSL card.
Anyway I had a great time especially since the WX was so good. Was great to see everyone and here are a few of my memories.
Regards
Q, W1QWT

AT 1 AM Q talking to K1KHP, "Old Buzzard John" in Florida.

Me doing a few Bob Dylan songs on the open mic at WHTR at the fest.

Regards, Q, W1QWT
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 10:31:15 AM »

Good to see you again Paul...keep your eyes on the road please....

I didn't buy a lot of stuff but my first grade buddy Gary WA1EWQ handed me two jars of pickled egg plant before we left. They were his batch but Friday night we did a jar from his father in law. Very tender and different spices than my Dad uses.....
Steak on the grill and wine it was heaven.
Frank we had a spare steak for you..................

Whats up with this?? Youse guys worked me on the telefonium from the resturaunt, but never came back to take the mike!! I worked just about every op from W1E that night from Tom Vu on, but hever heard youse guys back on the mike. It must be a side effect of too much pickled eggplant..................................
                                                                            The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 10:34:11 AM »

I didn't see you there either Slab Grin, and I missed out on the eggplant!!

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
KA1ZGC
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 10:47:43 AM »

Had a great time guest-operating W1E (until that pissant morality cop came by and picked a fight with me  ).

I think I was working you, from 50 feet away into a dummy load, when this guy got his undies in a bunch. I hope it was nothing I said that set him off on you. I know I made a comment about a STD avoidance QSL card.

It was that QSO, but it was a comment I made that bent him out of shape. I caught up with him again a few minutes later over by the sign-in sheet and gave him a (very loud) piece of my mind with about four inches separating our noses. Wearing that Red Sox shirt, I must have looked like I was having it out with an umpire!

We got it all off our chests and went our seperate ways, so all's well that ends well. Nobody got hurt or arrested. Didn't see him again, and I don't care to.

But enough about him...  Wink

As promised, I looked up your guitar when I got back to the apartment. I don't have the book in front of me right now, but the Goya brand was originally imported from Sweden in the mid 50's by a shop in New York and one in Chicago. They shifted into electrics in the late 50's through the 60's, and Martin started importing Goya acoustics in the 70's. I'm in Maine right now, but when I get back to New Hampshire I'll look it up again and give you more details.

It was real pleasant to play, nice action and nice tone, I'd say you certainly got your money's worth.

We'll have to do it again in the fall. Maybe the ghost of E. F. Johnson can keep the do-gooders at bay.  Wink

--Thom
Kraft Advertisement One Zesty Grated Cheese
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 11:12:32 AM »

I didn't see you there either Slab Grin, and I missed out on the eggplant!!

I wish I could have been there, but as you know sometimes you just have to accept things as they happen. However I was there by telefonium, and most importantly I  wuz there via the aether!!

It is now official, we will be doing the W3F thing at Gaithersburg in september, now if we can talk Frank (gfz) into coming down, I might be persuaded into making some pickled eggplant myself......................

The Slab bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k3zrf

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 01:14:19 PM »

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, pickled eggplant and Guiness!

Make you single in a day.

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 09:34:10 PM »

So I'm just coming out of sleepy land open the door of the truck and there is Tom vu and Gary like ants at a picnic checking my condition. They want to bust my butt on how cute I look in the morning after hostraders eve and all I want to do is sit on the throne. That egg plant and all that good for you oil was like 3 pumps of a grease gun on your lower ball joints. I had to chuckle when the guy flew into the stall after me.
Frank I got onthe air about 10 pm and the guys said you had to get off to strangle your neighbor complaining about QRM. We then went looking for the apply crisp people but they were closed. We never made it back to the station.

I hope you guys had a chance to use a real receiver...Bill's RF590
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 12:40:27 PM »

Frank, I did check out that receiver of Bill's, and yeah whooptie do, that's a schweet one.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 12:48:56 PM »

The Premium receivers from the late '80s design blow all the old stuff away.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 03:09:48 PM »

Frank,
I was looking forward to meeting you at Hosstraders. Did you make it up on Friday? Or did you come up on Saturday.  I left early Saturday morning and would have missed you.  Something attacked me in my tent while I was sleeping Friday night.  My shoulders and neck are all chewed and welted up from some little critter.   It looks like I have a bad case of poison Ivy.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1QWT

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 03:42:04 PM »

Something attacked me in my tent while I was sleeping Friday night.  My shoulders and neck are all chewed and welted up from some little critter.   It looks like I have a bad case of poison Ivy.

Wow same thing happened to me also. I slept in my car. I came home with itchy insect bite type things on my hands and arms and one hand has a rash on it. Never happened before, I wonder what has invaded that fair grounds?

Regards
Q

Regards, Q, W1QWT
WA3VJB
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 03:44:48 PM »

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 04:11:19 PM »

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 04:22:13 PM »

Hi All:

Had a great time too. Sorry I did not get to chat with more people (wanted to visit GFZ, but it did not happen).

It kept me going for the rest of the weekend. W1E was a great station.

Dan
W1DAN

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 04:27:35 PM »

Wow same thing happened to me also. I slept in my car. I came home with itchy insect bite type things on my hands and arms and one hand has a rash on it. Never happened before, I wonder what has invaded that fair grounds?

Regards
Q
Hey Q,
For me I think I had some little brown ants though I never saw anything in the tent.  It was pretty clean inside.  I'm pretty fussy about that but who knows, all it takes is one I guess. 

The reason I suspect the ants, when I was packing my things and folding up the tent one of the tent poles had a ba-zillion of these little ants in it.  So it's possible one or so infiltrated my sleeping area unbeknownst to me and attacked.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 04:29:34 PM »

Hi All:

Had a great time too. Sorry I did not get to chat with more people (wanted to visit GFZ, but it did not happen).

It kept me going for the rest of the weekend. W1E was a great station.

Dan
W1DAN

I had an excellent time too.  Though I didn't get to meet everyone I intended and couldn't talk at length with anyone because everyone was trying to do the same thing I was.  All in all it was great and I'm looking forward to next fall and I'll probably stay in a hotel instead!

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 04:43:14 PM »

Bob,
Maybe the you invaded the ants homeland and they were defending
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 05:08:24 PM »

Bob,
Maybe the you invaded the ants homeland and they were defending

I'm sure they were defending their territory since I pitched a tent on top of them.  Whether or not they were in my tent and  bit me I don't know.  It will be one of those mysteries of Hosstraders.  All I know is I'm itchy.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015