The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:16:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a plan for my T3  (Read 4902 times)
K3PID
« on: April 24, 2006, 07:26:32 PM »

Well considering a move to a new home, prostate cancer, and thyroid cancer, my T368 has been sitting idle since I bought it about 2 1/2 years ago. It powered up and loaded up on 80 meters CW just after I brought it home but it hasn't been powered up since. I need a plan!

K3PID
Ron H.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 11:41:12 AM »

Hi Ron -

Sounds like you've made it through some pretty tough times, so the T-3 should be easy in comparison! Smiley I can't speak to specific issues of the T-368 because I've never been fortunate enough to own or even operate one. However, I'll offer some generic tips that might help.

First, a good, physical inspection with the MK I Eyeball is a great place to start. Look things over and check for loose/broken wires, uninvited guests, and the obvious signs that things aren't right.

Next, check your interlocks before plugging it in or powering it up. They might need a good cleaning to remove oxidation that could make them appear open even when in place. If you're like me, you'll check every other, more complicated possibility before going back to the interlocks. You can extend this to switch contacts or pulling and cleaning the tube pins and sockets too, if you're really bored.

Depending on where you've had the transmitter stored since getting it, you might want to consider drying out any unsealed (open frame or core, end-bell types) transformers. They can suck up moisture over time like a big, iron sponge. IIRC most, if not all of the iron in the T-3 is sealed. So if it's stock, it's probably not an issue. Unless someone has substituted non-standard iron, that is.

Once you've checked things over and feel comfortable that everything is in place and as it should be, power the unit up and let it idle for a few hours, maybe even a day or so. This will accomplish a couple of things: first, it will point out anything you may have missed, or weak links that would fail before the unit is under load, due to age or such. It is also a good way to let your tubes get back into shape, so to speak. Two and a half years isn't all that long, and the big tubes in the T-368 (4-125, 4-400) may not be as prone to this, but older tubes sometimes need to be run with just the filaments for a while, to allow any released particals from the metal structures, or even air seepage, to be re-absorbed. It'll also dry things out more before slamming the HV to it.

I've picked these things up over the years from old timers, and so far, so good. These tips were applied to a transmitter I recently got back on the air after 15+ years, starting with initial repairs I did to it in 2003. They are fairly generic in nature, so perhaps a T-368 owner will post anything specific to the transmitter that should be considered.

Good luck, hope to hear it on the air soon -

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 07:49:38 PM »

Well considering a move to a new home, prostate cancer, and thyroid cancer, my T368 has been sitting idle since I bought it about 2 1/2 years ago. It powered up and loaded up on 80 meters CW just after I brought it home but it hasn't been powered up since. I need a plan!

K3PID
Ron H.

Hi Ron, the best plan is to sell it to me!
Kidding, sort of.

How can I help you out?

-Bruce W1UJR
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 08:40:47 PM »

K3PID
Ron H.

Hi Ron, the best plan is to sell it to me!
Kidding, sort of.

How can I help you out?

-Bruce W1UJR

Bruce - You NEED a T-368. If available, GO FOR IT!!!
Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 08:48:52 PM »

Joe N3IBX

This is what I am looking at now OM.

* IMG_3251.JPG (57.52 KB, 480x640 - viewed 415 times.)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 08:51:13 PM »

Joe N3IBX

Bruce - Looking at that pic gives me "Major Wood"! Do you own it? Any chance it came from AC1Y?
Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1UJR
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 08:53:40 PM »

Joe N3IBX

Bruce - Looking at that pic gives me "Major Wood"! Do you own it?
Joe N3IBX

Not yet, in progress.

Meet Todd and I on 3830 at 9PM EST.

Lets chat OM.

-Bruce
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 08:55:43 PM »

So solly, but I can't go below 3850 legally due to my license class. The best of luck and hope you get it! Let me know how you make out.
Mod-Me-Later (with 75T's?)
Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015