The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:37:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL - My Rethink  (Read 50095 times)
W1UJR
« on: April 09, 2006, 12:37:05 PM »

It’s been no secret that I have, in the past, been highly critical of the activities of the ARRL. I have voiced my displeasure both on this site, and in correspondence with League officers and officials. Well folks, if we can piss and moan, we can also compliment, and I would like to share that I am encouraged, heartened even, by some things which I have discovered about our League. Yes, there have been times in the past where the League has departed from what I, as an individual ham, have felt should be done. And yes, the League has also been, at times, critical of vintage radio and certain endeared forms of modulation. Those faults, actions or inactions, were the source of my criticism.

Since my posting, I have been doing a not inconsiderable amount of due diligence about the League’s stance and activities on behalf of our beloved amateur service. I won’t get into great detail about who I spoke with or what I read, for the message of this email is not focused so much on the means as it is on the outcome. Suffice to say that that the “powers that be” provided little if anything of value, and it was the uncelebrated, all too often unrecognized “little guys (and gals)” who took the time to share with me.

I have come to the conclusion that there is a good deal more RIGHT about OUR League than there is WRONG. In fact, I would go so far as to say that certain steps, programs and activities have been undertaken most recently that have not only caused me to renew my membership but to quite vocally lend my support.

I’ll not share all, but when time permits take a few moments and look at the “Hello-Radio” campaign at http://www.hello-radio.org/.
Do this with an open mind, and remember that both radio and youth of today are a bit different than when you and I were but young JNs. I suspect that many, if not most of us, grew to love radio as a child. Recall the magic we felt, the mystery, intrigue, fascination and perhaps even fixation we found in radio? Discovering the basic joys of communication without wires, of radio magic that we grew to love. The “Magic of Radio” is not something that can be bought, it must be learned. I recall my wonderment as a teenager hanging a piece of wire out the window, and listening to all of these far away places on my DX-160. The late nights of tuning across the bands, eking out a weak signal or CQ amongst the static. The glow of the “magic eye” tube, or the nervousness of that first contact.

I believe that the “Hello-Radio” campaign offers the very same opportunity to young folks today. I’ll not bore you with details, suffice to say that I am delighted, relived really, that our hobby has a future, and that the League has discovered that that future begins with youth. There is more going on than meets the eye, or ear, and I'll post such as I come across it.

73 Bruce 1UJR
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 12:43:36 PM »

Let us know when you get anything other than lip service.
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 12:50:05 PM »

I guess you didn't take the time to read my posting Dave.
I'd encourage you to take the time to REALLY check out what the League is doing.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 01:01:11 PM »

I guess you didn't take the time to read my posting Dave.
I'd encourage you to take the time to REALLY check out what the League is doing.

Sorry but I gave them the benifit of the doubt and my dues money for too long. Their robots on H.F. proposal was the last straw. Time will tell. Give a few years and you might hear yourself sounding like Phil PG when the league subject comes up. Prove me wrong. Rhetoric doesn't cut the ice.
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 01:29:24 PM »

Well its not really my job to prove you wrong, your mind is your own to change.
But if you are not getting accurate and firsthand information its tough to make an independent decision.

-Bruce
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 01:50:00 PM »

I have a non-ham buddy in Florida, in the Pompano Beach/Miami area. We've been good friends since 1979. He's well aware of my ham radio activities here, so he has an ear for whenever he hears ham radio new events, etc.

Anyway, he told me a couple of months ago that he keeps hearing these ads on the radio about becoming a ham radio operator and calling the ARRL in Newington, CT for details.  I've not heard the ads locally, but it appears that they do some warm and fuzzy advertising in selected areas.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 02:11:02 PM »

But if you are not getting accurate and firsthand information its tough to make an independent decision.

-Bruce

If you go to Dayton, be sure to stop by space 1960 or 1961.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 02:58:12 PM »

-Bruce

If you go to Dayton, be sure to stop by space 1960 or 1961.

Hey, I resemble those spaces.

Top photo 2004, rainy Saturday(but before the big rain); bottom photo, 2005 cold Friday

* P5160022.JPG (188.42 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 1106 times.)

* P5200071.JPG (195.29 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 1101 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 03:02:17 PM »

Bruce I'm sorry we disagree on the perceived merit of their public relations campaign.

There's been a thread underway on QRZ.com to which I replied after having the sort of detailed look you recommend.

Topic: What Do You Think Of The ARRL HELLO Program?
the entire text of this PR campaign they have come up with is so poorly written that anyone could see anything in there, and also see nothing at all that gets their attention, which presumably is the point of their exercise.

Very bland, obscure, and ineffective.

The headline of such an effort should answer the question "What's in it for me?" given the nature of society. The ARRL in the third paragraph (after you've lost most people) weakly presents several activities, none of which are presented in a compelling fashion. We get a sense of "whatever" in the hodge-podge coughed up.

More effective might have been the idea of taking the potential ham's perspective, NOT the existing ham's area of interest.

Examples in the 30 seconds I sat and thought of it:

-- DO YOU LIKE TO TEXT MESSAGE?
-- LEARN HOW TO MP3 !
-- DO YOU BUILD YOUR OWN COMPUTER SYSTEM?
-- EVER WONDER HOW WI-FI WORKS?
-- WANT TO BUILD YOUR OWN SATELLITE RADIO?

Each of these taps a consumer novelty.

All can be "learned" with an equivalent in ham radio, with the knowledge and satisfaction transferring back to the person's consumer interest.

I hope the ARRL didn't pay much of your $39 subscription fee to the public relations firm that designed what they are rolling out.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 03:22:03 PM »

I have a non-ham buddy in Florida, in the Pompano Beach/Miami area. We've been good friends since 1979. He's well aware of my ham radio activities here, so he has an ear for whenever he hears ham radio new events, etc.

Anyway, he told me a couple of months ago that he keeps hearing these ads on the radio about becoming a ham radio operator and calling the ARRL in Newington, CT for details.  I've not heard the ads locally, but it appears that they do some warm and fuzzy advertising in selected areas.

T

Go here to hear the MP3 file on the ARRL's Radio Spot plus other info:
http://www.arrl.org/pio/pr.html#psa

W1UJR
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 05:24:18 PM »

Bruce I'm sorry we disagree on the perceived merit of their public relations campaign.
I hope the ARRL didn't pay much of your $39 subscription fee to the public relations firm that designed what they are rolling out.[/tt]

Paul, I've read your work, you're a talented writer and journalist.
The League could really use your skill set, why not lend a hand?

-Bruce
W8KHZ

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 05:41:03 PM »

I really don't know how effective the "Hello Radio" ad campaign will be but its my opinion that a real interest in radio tends to seeded in our youth as a result of some actual contact or experience with radio. Perhaps it was a set of walkie-talkies for christmas, twiddling with the knobs on grampa's old radio or buliding a crystal set for a school project. It is experiences such as these that seem to captivate a young person. I would suggest that, regardless of any ad campaign that the ARRL produces, we all should be promoters of our hobby amongst our friends, co-workers, etc. Not in an "in your face" sort of way, but by simply expressing our enthusiasm for our hobby in conversation and always being open to helping someone learn more if they wish. .

I frequetly talk about my radio activities with co-workers and one day one of my co-workers told me about having one of those "rocket radio" crystal sets as a kid. He told me that he spent hours hooking it up to anything metal and listening to all sorts of things. He then told me that he wished they still made them so his 8 year old son could experience the same magic he did as a kid. He was surprised when I told him that they in fact still do make a reproduction version of the "rocket" radio"! Yesterday I was at an antique radio club meet here in Michigan and I ran across one of those repro rocket radios, so for $5 I bought it for his son. I'll give it to him tomorrow and I'm sure he will be thrilled. Not much effort on my part but who knows, maybe another radio amateur will be born...

Brian - W8KHZ

Currently running a big homebrew transmitter (pair of 250THs modulated by a pair of 810s) paired up with a National HRO-50.  I also run a BC-610-I / NC-2-40D combo which is a lot of fun too.

Catch you on 75M AM!
W1UJR
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 06:42:52 PM »

Yesterday I was at an antique radio club meet here in Michigan and I ran across one of those repro rocket radios, so for $5 I bought it for his son. I'll give it to him tomorrow and I'm sure he will be thrilled. Not much effort on my part but who knows, maybe another radio amateur will be born...
Brian - W8KHZ

You hit it out of the ballpark there OM, that is exactly how it works!
Like you, I too became fascinated with amateur radio when just a JN.
For me it occured when I come across some old QSTs given by a friend.
Thats all it takes, just someone to light a spark, invite a kid or friend over to listen or see the hamshack, to give a bit back to the hobby.
Its those seeds planted in youth that grow to a lifetime love of radio.

Just yesterday I was watching Maine Public TV and saw a most interesting presentation, "Codebreakers of Dayton".
Would you believe it was a young boy who fell in love with radio that grew up to develop the "Bombe" machine that cracked the 4 rotor Enigma code? Just imagine if young Joe Desch had not found radio, we might be all speaking German.

See --> http://www.donet.com/~danderson/bombe/index.html

Joe Desch Bio -->> http://www.donet.com/~danderson/bombe/jrd.htm

Video at Google --> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4543990307596694920&pl=true

-Bruce 1UJR

* threehams_large.jpg (173.71 KB, 1200x840 - viewed 1103 times.)
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 06:49:08 PM »

Bruce, I admire your initiative at looking on the other side of the glass. Way back when I was trying to be a JN, (took the exam in 8th grade never took it again until '90), the only material I ever saw regarding information was what the ARRgghhL put out. Those black magazines with the red stripes were extremely earmarked from the dozen or so peoples hands that they passed through. Later, when I did acquire my license, (KC4SLK for those that still remember), I was very thankful that they sponsored the VE examination, our club forum and other things that were more along the lines of public relations. It wasn't too soon afterwards that I began to notice some cracks. No longer was this the 'Silver Armor' of the (be)League(d). Year after year I found things that didn't sit well with me. Until finally I gave it up. Their recent action in past year or so reinforced my resolve. I guess what I'm trying to say falls along the same lines as that of 1000 ATTABOYS vs 1 AWSH!T. Unfortunately, lately its been several of the latter as opposed to the former.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 10:08:49 PM »

I walked into a Best Buy store yesterday. It was amazing. The place was jammed with people buying MP-3 stuff, audio gear, speakers, cell phones, computer things and stuff I didn't even recognize.

The people seemed as relaxed and bored as in a super market. It was like, "this is just the way life is now" attitude. Outside several people were standing with headsets listening to MP3 stuff with cell phones in one ear talking away.

I smiled and realized that things have really changed in the last 10 years.  It will be very hard to attract these kinds of people into ham radio from a technology point of view.

People seem to be going towards the route of virtual reality and later we will be wearing Borg-type computer brain interfaces. No doubt about it.

As I drove away, I noticed the sophisticated cars everyone was driving and thought that people should have to build from scratch what they drive. It's just to easy to buy a new ricebox car on the payment plan.... Grin

Gawd... we sure have taken over this planet with techology. We're so organized as a species now, no other creature has a chance in comparison.

I must be getting to be an old buzzard to think this way, but I'm absolutely amazed at the technological progress in the last 25 years or so.  With the internet cranking, information exchange and progress will accellerate even faster now. Hold on.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1UJR
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 11:46:23 PM »

I walked into a Best Buy store yesterday. It was amazing. The place was jammed with people buying MP-3 stuff, audio gear, speakers, cell phones, computer things and stuff I didn't even recognize.

The people seemed as relaxed and bored as in a super market. It was like, "this is just the way life is now" attitude. Outside several people were standing with headsets listening to MP3 stuff with cell phones in one ear talking away.

I smiled and realized that things have really changed in the last 10 years.  It will be very hard to attract these kinds of people into ham radio from a technology point of view.

People seem to be going towards the route of virtual reality and later we will be wearing Borg-type computer brain interfaces. No doubt about it.

As I drove away, I noticed the sophisticated cars everyone was driving and thought that people should have to build from scratch what they drive. It's just to easy to buy a new ricebox car on the payment plan.... Grin

Gawd... we sure have taken over this planet with techology. We're so organized as a species now, no other creature has a chance in comparison.

I must be getting to be an old buzzard to think this way, but I'm absolutely amazed at the technological progress in the last 25 years or so.  With the internet cranking, information exchange and progress will accellerate even faster now. Hold on.

T

Good post Tom, and very much on point. I wonder about that as well.

I'd like to think that with all the technology so integrated in our lives, yes even mine that the "human factor" will grow in importance.
Human contact will become more prized and sought after instead of the cyber world.
Perhaps I am wrong, but after a day of working with computers, CRTS, monitors, electronics and mechanical devices, what I crave at 5PM is human, not machine contact.

I sure hope it’s NOT like the Borg, and in fact technology becomes so integrated that it is invisible in our lives and is a means, not an end in and of itself.
I hope for a future when tech becomes a tool, and not tyranny, a liberator rather than an oppressor.

In fact, the measure of a good technology implantation is always one where the technology itself is nearly transparent in use.

-Bruce 1UJR
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 01:46:18 PM »

Here's more great info on how the ARRL is bringing amateur radio to the "still in school" generation:

ARRL staffer demos "magic trick" for science teachers (Apr 11, 2006) -- ARRL Education and Technology Program ("The Big Project") Coordinator Mark Spencer, WA8SME (left), shone the spotlight on Amateur Radio and the ARRL during the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) 54th national conference April 6-8 in . Spencer reports some 15,000 teachers stopped by the ARRL booth, and most picked up a brochure. "I talked with probably 300 educators specifically about ARRL-related programs such as the Teachers Institutes, 'The Big Project' and Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS)," he said.

And in addition:

THE ARRL AMATEUR RADIO EDUCATION & TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM (ETP)
Aka "The Big Project"
[/b]

http://www.remote.arrl.org/FandES/tbp/

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 01:18:04 PM »

She'll get on two meters once and hear a bunch of bitter old men P&Ming about their prostates.  Then she'll try and break in, and the bitter old men, not having talked with her every day for the last 35 years, will ignore her.  In frustration and disgust, she'll go back to doing what most other 6 year old girls do.

If she got on AM, OTOH.....

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 01:34:09 PM »

I too don’t see much excitement in 2-meter repeaters either, but there are a lot of other amateur activities that are available to no code techs that they can “wet their beak” on. Multi-mode rigs are available for VHF/UHF, satellite activity is up, band openings due to propagation or weather-related activity is common, VHF/UHF contests happen frequently, many clubs run activity nights on FM and SSB on VHF/UHF bands, amateur to internet interfaces are popular, SKYWARN and other public service type activities can also be found here, and probably a lot of other activities. It may not be as glamorous to us who came through the Novice, General, Advanced/Extra doors, but there are enough “hand’s on” activities on these bands to stimulate interest to maybe move forward.

The FCC recently shot down the ARRL’s request to re-introduce a Beginner’s or Novice Class license.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2006, 03:43:58 PM »

The no-code Tech license is pretty much a dead end. Newcomers who start with that license get stuck in the 2 meter FM ghetto, get discouraged, and let their licenses expire without ever having experienced the real ham radio.

I agree, that does happen to many. But it doesn't have to occur. Much of it is a choice by those people - the don't choose to move beyond the 2M repeater scene. Some of it is also a lack of exposure.

There are many different options available to the Tech on VHF, UHF and the microwave bands. But, as you go higher in frequency, more technical ability is required. And there is where the problem/lack of action begins. And since most of the dead beats that hang out on the 2M repeaters have little or no technical abilities, newbies are unlikely to meet up with anyone who would steer/elmer them to other VHF/UHF/uW pursuits. Much that same thing occurs on HF these days too.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 12:01:31 PM »

More good stuff from ARRL activities:

NEWINGTON, CT, May 2, 2006--A California high school that's participating in the ARRL Education and Technology Program (ETP--also known as "The Big Project") will offer a year-long elective course, "Radio Amateurs and Disaster Operations" (RADIO), starting this fall. Moorpark High School math and meteorology teacher Tom Baker, NC6B, says the course is the first of its kind anywhere in the US. The class curriculum was created in conjunction with the ARRL, the American Red Cross and various Ventura County agencies. ARRL ETP Coordinator Mark Spencer, WA8SME, gives the new course high marks and says it has a great chance to succeed.

For the rest of the story, go here:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/05/02/3/?nc=1

AG4YO
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »

No doubt the ARRL has done a few bonehead things where their recent petitions are concerned.  The "Hello" program was a good idea just that it was done in a '50s way.  How much more effective it might have been with something more contemporary to say Radio is not dead.

That said, the League does so many good things that I have no problem giving them my money every year.  I would just hope that they can shake the Winlink/TAPR strangle hold and modernize their PR outlook.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 09:14:08 AM »

And since most of the dead beats that hang out on the 2M repeaters have little or no technical abilities, newbies are unlikely to meet up with anyone who would steer/elmer them to other VHF/UHF/uW pursuits.

Ya hit the nail right between the eyes Steve !
How many of us have elmered a newbie into ham radio in the past year, 2 years or 5 years ?
I'm not talking about helping a newcomer to AM. I'm talking elmering a non-ham to hamhood !!!

Being versatile in many aspects of the hobby helps.
Last summer one of the neighborhood kids got interested in my antennas and asked what all that stuff
was for. I showed him the shack of boatanchors. He was ho-hum interested until I showed him the satallite
stuff. I looked for the next pass of the ISS and the next day we chatted with an astronaut IN SPACE.

He's now a general and lovin' it.

We can piss n' moan all we want. But that ain't gonna help !
If the ARRL isn't doing the job you think it should then why not do it yourself? 
Steve W8TOW

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 11:15:24 AM »

Ya know I have "re-thought" my decision to be part of the ARRL too! OOPS, I said that in 1978.  and  1986 and 1997 and...well, not yet again.
I really don't believe in the organization, or their approach to the hobby.
Our hobby indeed needs promotion, government representation and educational material, but
the existing representitive organization needs competition!
I wish there was an alternative to ARRL here in this country, not just a contesting mag like CQ...either.

Yes, we can do our individual part at "elmering" interested folks, assist in promos and the such.
Be visable in the community and part of a local club....
but since all of my communication over the years...yes years has time after time fallen on
deaf ears in Newington, I will just do my part by myself...at least I know my $$ will be spent as
I see fit...not on promoting another ARRL contest...73  tow

Always buiilding & fixing stuff. Current station is a "Old Buzzard" KW, running a pair of Taylor T-200's modulated by Taylor 203Z's; Johnson 500 / SX-101A; Globe King 400B / BC-1004; and Finally, BC-610 with SX28  CU 160m morn & 75m wkends.
73  W8TOW
WA3VJB
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 08:07:50 PM »

Good decision Steve.

ARRL loyalists like to defend the Newington group by pointing to the "good" things they do.
Such things will continue to happen., and you can write and praise good folks like Ed Hare.

Blind support should be immediately discontinued.

Expressing displeasure, and questioning those who offer blind support, can become part of a note addressed to Mary Hobart or whoever the recruiting person is. This is a back channel way of reaching those who will not hear.

Further expressions that marginalize the ARRL can be effectively filed in the regulatory arena, each and every time they utter yet another proposal that serves only a special interest group.

Eventually, as their subscription base continues to free-fall to single digits, the League's brain trust may actually become receptive to change, and perhaps scuttle their moribund system they will be convinced cannot represent the hobby.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015