The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:03:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tower Fall Arrest Climbing System - Here's how, cheap - Don't Climb Without It.  (Read 4916 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: April 04, 2006, 03:24:12 PM »

Hola,

A few months ago I made a post about looking for a tower fall arrest system consisting of a vertical cable that sets off from the vertical tower leg with a slider that connects to your harness. If you fall, the slider locks up and stops the fall. They are now required on all commercial towers; and for good reason. Hams can still legally get away without using them... Shocked

These systems can be very expensive. I've seen them for over $1,000 for the complete installation kit on 100' towers.

I was able to find the two main components rather cheaply, (the slider and cable)  and  the slider is still  quality stainless steel, OSHA rated.  I also found a vendor who will supply the 5/16" galvanized aircraft cable for only 25 cents a foot... at least for the 700' I ordered.  The only things missing are the brackets that hold the cable offset from the top and bottom of the tower. I used two 9" long, 4"X 4" steel angle stock that are drilled to accept two stainless steel U-bolts each, to fasten them to the tower leg. They are drilled to accept the cable using little cable u-bolt clamps to hold the looped cable at each end.

Here's the website for the safety slider. It costs $132.  It disconnects so can be used on multiple  towers.

http://www.westernsafety.com/msaroseproducts/msafallprotec10.html
Or call: 206-264-0808 to order it.  Part #  SFPLS350-020  (Sure Climb Slider)

Here's the email adr for the 5/16" aircraft cable. It must be 5/16" diameter.
shay@starrrproducts.com   (Scott)

I plan to install a system for each of five towers. Total cost: only $382 plus some scrap steel angle and cable fasteners.  For one tower that's 100' tall, you could get away for well under $200. No reason not to have one, caw mawn.

Please post here if you decide to install one for your tower. I'd be curious.

73 and safe climbing this season,

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 03:51:10 PM »

I think you would be better off with stainless cable since the plating will get scraped off quickly running the slider over it.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 03:57:25 PM »

Good point.

Though I guess it depends upon how much friction the slider generates. I am told when you climb and descend in a normal fashion, they just float along with no resistance.

Plus, it depends upon how many times you go up and down. I don't expect to make more than fifteen climbs a year at most.

SS cable is vely vely expensive, so worst case I'll replace the galvanized a few times first.

I was thinking that I could grease the cable, but that might not be such a good idea... duh.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 08:34:58 AM »

Grease may be a problem with the slider and you could get it on your hands.
My brother had one for rock climbing set up but the rope is about 5/8 inch.
The plating will break down quickly with metal sleeve going over it.
"It's your life and you can do what you want"
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 10:55:25 AM »

I was kidding about the grease, of course.  Almost like greasing your car brakes.

But, as far as a rusty cable... the cable is rated at 11,000 pounds to start. (5/16")   Even if it had a layer of surface rust after many years, it would have little affect on it's strength in this conservative application. But I would replace it before that point anyway.

Though, I still think if the slider just floats on the cable in a vertical plane, there is no friction to begin with, thus little to no wear on the plating. If there were friction, it would be tugging as you climbed and that's not the case according to the guys I've talked with.

BTW, are you gonna install one on your tower or use the double buckle climb technique?  I've found after climbing up and down many timres in a day, I start free climbing and just can't go slow anymore using that technique. Thus, the auto-cable installation for forced discipline.

T

T

WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 12:08:43 PM »

I don't climb my tower very often so I will continue to use my slow method. I don't take chances any more.  The log has the tower pretty maxed out so no need to mess with it. I have a couple ropes to play with wire if I need to.
We had to stop cutting trees because the P.I. is starting to come up. I have a nice clear path for the phased array to go back up.
Back in construction mode again.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015