The AM Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:12:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Opinions  (Read 5332 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: April 01, 2006, 12:04:25 PM »

I need to get another PC. Doing my last round of taxes using TurboTax trashed my OS and I couldn't recover using the previous registry prior to the tax software install.  I don't feel like reloading it and rather buy a new machine.   Need opinions on computer hardware, and OS choices.   I've been thinking of going Dell as they seem to have some good deals.  Any opinions on any of the big names?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 12:27:28 PM »

Bob,

For a simple, hassle-free purchase, the latest computers that Dell is featuring for about $299 seem to be great deals using XT home or pro.  I think the pro is just a few bux more and worth it according to the guys.

I bought a pair five months ago and they have run flawlessly. Have them install dual hardrives and you'll always have a backup.

General question:

I still use CRT's for monitors. Is it true that flat screen units are easier on the eyes? Are they as clean and detailed these days in comparison?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
kd5cpl
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 01:20:49 PM »

Hi--
Have heard good things about Dell, would consider them.

WHAT NOT TO BUY???  Toshiba satellite laptops.  Wife and I each bought one just over a year ago. The LCD display on mine lasted just a year and a few days. (1 year warranty unless you buy the expensive extended program.) Hers failed after a year and two months. Neither got constant usage before crapping out, especially hers. Display replacement is expensive! (Abouy 2/3 the initial cost of the units).

I would not buy another one of these; one year is too short a life expectancy.

Like I said; I'd consider Dell; I know several people who have them and are happy. My wife's best friend raves about her Dell. I worked at a shop three years ago that had a four station Dell network system. They had fewer problems than many others that I had been around at work. Their support was excellent. Dell had been recommended to them by the local rep for their business software system, who could have sold them stuff himself. They seem to stand by thier products.

Extended warranties? I always had great luck with the life of electronic stuff, and considered them a waste of money. Guess that I need to reconsider my thinking now that everything comes form you-know-where. Our computers always became obsolete before they had a major failure.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth!
Gary
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 02:51:09 PM »

We use Dell's at work and I never had any problems with the machine that's on my desk.  It's a bit on the wimpy side when it comes to speed but otherwise it works good and I've been considering a Dell for that reason even though our administrator doesn't like anything about Dell. 

Tom,
I prefer a CRT myself though we have some LCD monitors in the office and they have an excellent image and they are Dell's as well.  I've been considering an LCD myself when I purchase a new machine as the images are excellent.  I haven't decided just yet.  Currently I have an NEC 17" CRT and I really like it.  I will probably move that monitor to the shack.   It's good on the eyes.  I've had LCD screens in laptops, particularly earlier models and they weren't to bad but at that time I still preferred using and CRT overall.  Something about the light that is emitted from the LCD.   It seems today's LCD's are easier on the eyes.  But of course that all depends on the backlight and probably the spectrum of light they emit.   Over time backlights do weaken and I'm sure certain light wavelengths aren't as strong.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 11:29:36 PM »

Why haven't I seen any plasma computer monitors for sale? Is there some reason why plasma monitors aren't good for computer work? No video cards to support them (??)
Been using a 21 inch Dell CRT monitor since 2000. Still a nice monitor but one heck of footprint on the desk. Also, been using a Dell Dimension 4100 tower, PIII since 2000. Other than a failed video card, it has been running fine.

Also have a Toshiba Tecra 266 MHz laptop, bought in 97. Still runs Win 98. Can't seem to kill this thing. Its been bounced around on countless trips on cars and planes and here at home. Not the fastest buggy, but fine for email and quick hops around the internet.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 11:42:17 PM »

Bought a Dell 17" ultra sharp monitor with the latest sytem this January. I love it. Side by side with the Dell 17" color CRT (4 years old but also 'extra sharp") there was no comparison n the quality of the pictures as I transfered files . The flat screen blew it away particuarly on photos.
I bought both the machine and monitor fromthe Dell outlet. you have to act fast as things fly out of there but I got a returned system for about $800 that was going to cost me abnout $1,400.
I waited to get one with 1 gig of RAM as I noticed that my laptop from work had that and it made it into a screamer

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
wa2zdy
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 09:13:49 AM »

In the past 18 months we've bought three Dell Dimension desktops  and three Dell LCD monitors.  Love them all.  A month ago I bought the wife a Dell Inspiron 810 notebook. Again, gorgeous!

I'm sorry to hear of the Toshiba troubles.  I've never hesitated to recommend them to others.  I still have a Toshiba Satellite CS105 laptop I bought in 1995.  Sure the battery is long dead and I had to replace the hard drive a couple years ago, but the thing still does what I need it to do.  It's only a Pentium 75 so I use it for some DOS only "radio stuff." But it does the job well.

Yes, I have to say though right now Dell is the way to go.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 11:19:08 AM »

Thanks for the opinions guys.  I took the plunge this morning and ordered a Dell machine with the Pentium Dual Core processor and a 19" flat panel LCD.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 09:02:28 PM »

I just got a dual 2.8 at work to replace my dual 1 G. I have 4 dells at home.

Bob,
Colchester has the all time highest gas prices today. You know where. $3.12
for premium. I guess the oil Company crooks get to hit us again this year.
get ready for a new round of excuses.
w1guh
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 11:03:49 PM »

Good move.  I've had a dell labtop (Inspiron 8200) since 2002, and I LOVE IT.

Specifically...so far, Dell's customer service has been awesome...get as long a service contract as you can with your new machine...you'll be glad you did.  It's well worh it.

About flat panels...after using the flat screen on this laptop I'll never go back to a tube.  IMHO..it is MUCH BETTER than any tube...not to mention the obvious advantages..size...power...heat...etc. Oh, and it has proven to be the most robust and reliable part of my machine.  Everything else broke (fixed for free by Dell) but the display is as good as ever.

Think you'll love your system.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 04:48:32 AM »

I just got a dual 2.8 at work to replace my dual 1 G. I have 4 dells at home.

Bob,
Colchester has the all time highest gas prices today. You know where. $3.12
for premium. I guess the oil Company crooks get to hit us again this year.
get ready for a new round of excuses.

Hi Frank,
I was down in NJ  lastweek on a business trip and discovered the gas is less expensive than here in CT.  Also noticed as you probably have that gas prices here in CT are all over the place.  Yep, in Colchester everything is expensive.  The town is proposing to raise the mil rate again to the tune of 34.  Four years ago when I moved here the mil rate was 26 or 27.  Then you should have seen the look on my face this last Saturday when I took a load of brush to the dump and was charged $5.00 to dispose of it.  Wouldn't you know it the day I decided to take a load the town decided to start charging for brush that same day.  From now on the brush goes out into the woods or it gets burned.

I'm hoping the new computer performs well especially after I load it up with all my crap.   

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Art
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 11:16:12 AM »

"$3.12 for premium."

'p to $2.49 for regular here . . . I think premium was $2.89. Probably the same oil companies. I wonder why there is a difference. Is it the oil companies charging different prices in different areas?

-ap
k3zrf

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 12:25:12 PM »

Ed Dell makes good schtuff, sonny. I still have and use a 'PC's" Unlimited, turbo that I purchased used in '84. That was B4 Ed Dell started Dell.

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015