The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:17:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AMer featured in CQ magazine  (Read 3965 times)
WA3VJB
« on: March 24, 2006, 10:27:51 AM »

What a nice story featuring Andy Howard, WA4KCY, the president of the Southeastern AM Radio Club, of which I am a member.

Please see:

http://72.9.241.50/~wa4kcy/cq%201.htm

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 10:42:38 AM »

What a great article on AM!  Probably the best I've seen in any magazine. My wig's off to CQ Magazine.

T

WA4KCY's  4X1 X 4X1's rig:

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 11:37:27 AM »

Hi:

I read it Sunday. Great article.

I met him at a Huntsville hamfest. He also has good articles in ER.

The guy who wrote the article does the vintage calendars. I met him at Dayton one year.

Dan
w1guh
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 11:55:48 AM »

In the pic Tom posted, or Fig. 4 in the article, what's that on the extreme left.  Looks like a very interesting piece in the picture.

Yea....wonderful transmitters he's built.

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 01:04:08 PM »

So nice!

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 03:25:00 PM »

Super article and great homebrew gear!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 12:13:00 PM »

CQ somewhat redeemed itself in my opinion of the magazine with that article.  Now if they would just run a few more construction and technical articles and less contest drivel, I would consider resubscribing.  I took the magazine for years, but let it drop sometime ago because there was rarely anything in the monthly issues that was of interest to me, and I decided it was a waste of money, and the back issues accumulated and added to my house clutter..

Like QST, older editions are packed with how-to-build-it stuff and technical theory, as well as items of general interest to ALL amateurs.

CQ evolved from the pre WW2 west coast RADIO, published by Frank C. Jones.  I always thought that publication was more interesting than QST of the day, even though QST was also loaded with good stuff.  In addition to the monthly magazine, they published a handbook, known as the Frank C. Jones RADIO handbook, or just the RADIO handbook.  The Editors and Engineers and Bill Orr west coast Radio handbooks are descendents of that publication.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 12:50:20 PM »

I don't think you'll see "high level" or "high tech" construction articles in CQ these days. The magazine is not geared for that type of reader. I do enjoy reading the mag; the management is easy and friendly to deal with; the many articles seem to touch almost every aspect of ham radio and "special interests". Probably one of the reasons I do advertise in their publications.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015