The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:46:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Broadcast  (Read 8571 times)
K2PG
« on: March 21, 2006, 09:45:29 AM »

During my long Sunday night drives back to Pennsylvania, I often surf the AM broadcast band, looking for distant or unusual stations. One that frequently shows up is Radio Reloj, the standard time service of Cuba that airs over numerous AM broadcast frequencies. I often hear them on 570 kHz. Their outlets on 760 and 940 kHz often override WJR and CINW, respectively.

The normal format of Radio Reloj consists of two announcers (usually a man and a woman) reading "news" over a background of 1 second time ticks. At 57 or 58 seconds past the minute, the announcer says, "Radio Reloj", a beep indicates the beginning of the next minute, the announcer gives a time check, and the station plays a sounder consisting of the letters "RR" in Morse code. On some of these late night trips, I noticed that Radio Reloj substituted chimes for the "RR" sounder. These chimes sound like door chimes. Usually, there are four notes, but this past Sunday night/Monday morning, there were three.

Does anybody know what's going on? Could the Cubans be sending coded instructions to spies or diplomats in neighboring countries (Radio Reloj is powerful and widely heard)? Could these chimes serve a function within the Cuban government itself? The chimes, time tones, time ticks, and the Morse sounder are all easily heard, even when interference and fading make it impossible to understand the announcers.

One of our own networks, NBC, used to do something similar during World War II. If a major news story broke during the war, NBC would alert its news staff and get them to report to work by adding a fourth note to the famous NBC chimes that aired at the end of a program. They would repeat the third note (musical note C), giving four chimes.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:26:18 AM »

Hi Phil,

I know I have heard that "RR" in Morse code on an American AM BCB news broadcast within the past year.  But it wasn't Cuber.  Must be an AM BCB fad. 

It may have been the New Orleans AM station I listened to during the Katrina disaster or perhaps the NYC news station 1010?  I can't think of who else I was listening to recently out of the ordinary.

I found the RR to be quite obnoxious since it repeated fairly often.  (Sounds like a Marketing guy's idea.)

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
John Holotko

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 10:38:41 AM »

Probably just a simple format change. Maybe they figure the chimes would soind more distinct and/or attract more attention. I doubt it's for something nefarious like secret s[y propagands... but hey one never knows...

The word "reloj" is Spanish for clock. When I was in high school we had a kid in our class who's name was "Charles Reloj" but we Americanized his name and called him "Charlie Clock".

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 11:03:29 AM »

Phil, how you could listen to that crap for over 15 seconds is beyond me.... Grin

If you love Radio Reloj you'll love Radio Rebelde on 1180 (?).  It's a dogfight there against Radio Marti on the same frequency.  Of course in Havana Radio Marti handily straps Radio Rebelde if you rotate your AM set the proper direction to null out Rebelde.

ALthough I have no idea what's going on with the chimes (maybe the Cubans hired Irb?) these xmitters are poorly maintained and emit spurs all over the place.  I suspect that what you head Tom was the RR mixing with another station.  I can hear the RR all over the place at the lower end of the AM dial at my place, not just on one of the many Radio Reloj frequencies.

BTW RR is a latin american thing.  Believe there are (or used to be) similar stations throughout South/Central America.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
w1guh
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 11:50:38 AM »

"Their outlets on 760 and 940 kHz often override WJR and CINW, respectively."

How's WJR sounding these days?  In the dim dark days of the past I used to love Night Flight 760.

Paul
John K5PRO

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 02:34:12 PM »

Interesting! When I lived in Delaware I used to hear it over WJR on 760, and wonder what that was. Thanks for explaining the clock ticks and RR.

I can't hear it out here in New Mexico. Everything is coming up from south of de border, but not cuba.

John Holotko

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 03:22:29 PM »

I'd imagine that any station coming out of cuba is little more than commie propaganda station for castro and his ilk. I wouldn't want to give them a listening ear.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 03:28:29 PM »

John, they certainly are, but there are some decent music stations as Phil noted.  Radio Reloj is 100% commie crap, all the time  Angry

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
John Holotko

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 05:57:06 PM »

John, they certainly are, but there are some decent music stations as Phil noted.  Radio Reloj is 100% commie crap, all the time  Angry

True, the Cuban people have a rich musical heritage, have produced some good music and some superb musicians as wel as a knack for some great music.  It makes sense that would be reflected on some of their radio stations.   Beyond that I guess al governments have propaganda of one form or another and to a greater or lesser degree.

John K5PRO

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 08:00:52 PM »

Tito Puente and Irakere' are two of my favorite Cuban artists in the jazz genre.
W1UJR
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 08:59:54 PM »

What? You mean all that stuff isn't true?
This after I have been taking careful notes.  Grin

Thanks for the info guys, has really given me inspiration to take SWLing again.
When 75 meters is trashed, can always trust SWL spectrum.

Here is a neat link --> http://www.passband.com/

* 11005cs.jpg (114.29 KB, 550x534 - viewed 500 times.)
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 03:08:27 PM »

Have you ever actually heard this son of a bitch ?  You can ... on a hallicrafters Short wave receiver !

* hallicrafters-castro.jpg (146.92 KB, 600x740 - viewed 481 times.)

--- Post No Bills ---
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 03:48:21 PM »

Grin Grin

Sam - we had that ad pinned up on our bulletin board at the office when I was posted to Havana

Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 10:39:37 PM »

Grin Grin

Sam - we had that ad pinned up on our bulletin board at the office when I was posted to Havana

Hi John,

I heard that Fidel had the same ad on his office wall with a picture of Kennedy on it   Wink

So unless you were there before '59, how does one get a post in Havana ?

Sam  /  KS2AM

--- Post No Bills ---
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 07:04:17 AM »

Easy.

http://havana.usinterestsection.gov/

73 John

wa2zdy
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 10:03:53 AM »

Tito Puente and Irakere' are two of my favorite Cuban artists in the jazz genre.

And just in case you care (and I'm sure you don't!) Tito's daughter Audrey is one of the staff meterologists for WCBS-TV, channel 2 in NY City.  She says she obviously could have gone into music but decided to follow her heart - into the weather.
w1guh
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 11:13:42 AM »

Desi Arnez
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015