The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:27:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knock-Off junk, where does it end?  (Read 2741 times)
The Slab Bacon

« on: March 19, 2006, 12:04:34 PM »

I am currently rebuilding a Johnson Ranger for KA2TRU, he asked me to doo all of the "hot rod" mods while I was at it. He asked about the 6550 modulator tube swap, and I told him it would be no problem, but I didnt have any 6550's to supply him with.
He said that he would get them and send them to me, and asked me which brand was best to buy. I told him that I didnt think it really mattered for voice audio, but the audiofools seem to prefer the NOS Tung-Sol brand tubes the best.

About a month later a package arrives from him and it is some new Tung Sol 6550's.
I didnt pay much attention to them till I started on his transmitter. When I opened the package, I found some very new looking Tung Sol boxes. They looked too new to be NOS boxes, so I examined further. The boxes were great repros of the original Tung Sol boxes, but had NO small printing on them (patent info, mfrs address, copyrights, etc.) So I examined further. Pulling one of the tubes out of the box, it was labeled "Tung Sol nade in Russia" with the made in russia in small print. As I read this I giggled to myself "where does it end".

Even the russians are going after the audiofools with knock off szht! I really dont have any problems with ruskie tubes as they have have never stopped manufacturing them.
I have no problem using them, but the knock off Tung Sol boxes and the $50+ each that he paid for them just irk my nanny a little.

With cheap Chinese knock off consumer merchandise, and all of the other knock off garbage that is out there, where does it end!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 02:12:54 PM »

Demand and hype created the market.
http://www.boiaudioworks.com/index.php?cPath=69

When Westrex, i.e. Western Electric, started manufacturing the 300B's again several years ago, I seem to remember they sold the first lot of about 10,000, without ever making one. They have since added to their line.
http://www.westernelectric.com/pricing.asp

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2JBL

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 05:09:23 PM »

Holy Inflation Batham! ten years ago i sold off a  large stock of NOS Western Electric tubes i had here. it made enough to pay off a ton of nasty debt from a failed buisiness. i still have a large number of WE 417A and 404A tubes, mostly NOS, some used. no boxes though due to poor storage. back then nobody wanted them. now i see on that site they go for 350$? looks like i better test them and head for Epay! my camp needs a new roof and outhouse..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015