The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:20:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC Does It Again  (Read 14193 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: March 15, 2006, 08:36:24 PM »

FCC Proposes $3.6M Against CBS For Indecency

http://www.nbc30.com/entertainment/8034594/detail.html

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 10:08:51 PM »

Wonder why indecency keeps popping up on CBS only?  This is bizarre
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 10:39:33 PM »

they exposed the crook
John Holotko

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 01:56:35 AM »

Oh come on guys...  You know our innocent eyes must be shieloded from this kind of indecency. Otherwise our minds will be corrupted with wicked wicked thoughts.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Art
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 07:13:26 AM »

CBS seems to be struggling and is pushing the edges to try and achieve ratings . . . that I admire. However, they seem misguided. Their news is obviously biased and has had some serious credibility issues. They have done some good sports coverage . . . I think TV in general has transitioned from entertainment where showing two people in bed required each to have one foot on the floor and obviously wearing street clothes to depiction of teenagers participating in an orgy. . . . however, if that floats your boat . . climb on board . .  if not, there is animal planet or Fox or one of the other 1000 cable channels . . . I might not agree with whats being presented on a given channel but it isn't my todo to tell someone else that they can't watch it . . .

-ap
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 07:44:30 AM »

they exposed the crook

Yup!!  And it only took a few forged documents !!
Jeff OGM
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 07:49:24 AM »

CBS has been knocking heads with the Bush administration all along, and continues to do so.  For instance, take a look at this recent item...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/21/opinion/main1334435.shtml

It was CBS that went after Bush regarding his military service on 60 Minutes, and then the "forged documents" the show was based on resulted in firing of scapegoats, and Dan Rather's resignation.  So, it's no surprise that the henchmen at FCC continue to go after CBS.

There's enough crap on the other networks to evoke similar credible FCC action, but CBS stands out as a clearly anti-Bush corporate entity.  Why should anyone be surprised that the Bush administration would go after them?

This is a demonstration of the old saying that you shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house.  It's just politics in the the world of hardball.  But you can bet your bottom dollar it has absolutely nothing to do with shielding the minds and morals of the American public.

Jeff
KA1OGM
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 09:05:23 AM »

Like some of the other people on this list, I have dealt with several governmental regulatory agencies in past years.  Today I am happy to deal only with Social Security and the IRS.  If you ever manage to get on any agencies of their lists, they they watch you seemingly forever.  The Janet Jackson boondogle prompted many people to complain and the one thing any government agency won't ignore is massive public complaint.  They can then go to congress and display what they have accomplished to request more money from the budget.

Probably the best at not doing a proper job and staying below the public radar is the FAA.  Mostly incompetents doing a job they don't have experience to do.  Eventually the constant scrutinty will subside and the FCC will move on to somethings else, but for now, CBS is under the microscope.

I don't believe the admisnstration has anything to do with it.  Just the bureaucrats exercising their muscles to impress us with all the good work they do and protects us from a bare breast.  Really important work you know.
Art
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 09:17:28 AM »

No doubt about it Jeff. The problem is there are many, many documented cases of corruption, bribery, L/L behavior in the Whitehouse, and general misbehavior among the Dems (and Reps, BTW). The Dems only have opposition at this point (this point is achieving grandfather status). When the Reps smack em back the Dems whine that it is partisan politics . . . yet, during the state of the union the Dems were standing proudly at their ability to block legislation . . .

The media is coming around though . . . yesterdays Denver Post carried an editorial by Leonard Pitts . . . "Say what you want about the Republican party and its leader . . . . They know what they believe and they know how to package it in the simplest, most attactive way: traditional values; fighting terrorism; tax relief. . . .  By contrast, can anybody tell me what the Democrat Party stands for?. . . . Because if anything has characterized the Democrats in the years since George W. Bush won the 2000 election, it's an inability to articulate a coherent competing vision. It is not enough to be the anti-Republicans. Those whare so inclined already know what they are voting against. It is incumbent upon the other party (the Dems) to offer an alternative that people want to vote "for". This, the Democrats have, for six years failed to do. . . . . Those who crave an alternative might be justified in wondering whether the Democrats know the difference." . . . .  Mr. Pitts writes for the Miami Herald as well as the Denver Post . . . that journey of a thousand miles has begun and the population of the opposition in terms of individuals and media is diminishing. Unless a solid platform appears in mid air the Democrats are doomed to minor but vocal political entity status . . . there are plenty of examples around the world . . .
CBS as an activist tool of a minor political entity and is becoming more and more recognized, or more accurately, defined as, untrustworthy . . . It surprises us that the ruling administration would single it out for special attention? If so . . . naive has a whole new definition.

-ap
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 09:22:10 AM »

CBS has been knocking heads with the Bush administration all along, and continues to do so.  For instance, take a look at this recent item...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/21/opinion/main1334435.shtml

It was CBS that went after Bush regarding his military service on 60 Minutes, and then the "forged documents" the show was based on resulted in firing of scapegoats, and Dan Rather's resignation.  So, it's no surprise that the henchmen at FCC continue to go after CBS.

There's enough crap on the other networks to evoke similar credible FCC action, but CBS stands out as a clearly anti-Bush corporate entity.  Why should anyone be surprised that the Bush administration would go after them?

This is a demonstration of the old saying that you shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house.  It's just politics in the the world of hardball.  But you can bet your bottom dollar it has absolutely nothing to do with shielding the minds and morals of the American public.

Jeff
KA1OGM

Some of the things I have seen on a few of the "reality" shows have caused me to flip the channel because of mixed company in the room. FOX to me is one of the worst offenders as far as sexual content is concerned . And I'm sure anyone who is up late have seen the Girls Gone Wild ads. No fines for that?I'm no prude but I think self regulating (turn it off) instead of government interference is more effective. I watched Good Night and Good Luck last night. History seems to repeat itself sorta. Seems there is still a agenda to quash any opposition.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Warren
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 11:17:30 AM »

they exposed the crook

Yup!!  And it only took a few forged documents !!

Bud,
   It's worth noting that while the documents were not authenticted, neither were they shown  to be forgereries. The independendant review panel states this very clearly in their report:
http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/complete_report/CBS_Report.pdf#page=14

Its simple misrepresentation of the facts to say the documents were forged when there is no evidence to support that assertion.

73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 11:46:13 AM »

So 6T on the credit card is considered conservative values. B.S.
maybe to sheep.

Fox is Bush country most of their programs are third rate married with children crap.

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 11:48:04 AM »

....... independendant review panel

Ya right !! What was I thinking ?
Art
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 12:33:10 PM »

OK Frank . . . I'd say that puts you firmly in the opposition . . .  I respect your opinion but disagree. The point I was making is more and more are disagreeing with you as well . . . if not in principle then in the reality that change from within is more effective than repetitively smashing your head into a larger and larger wall.

As for the "reports', 'polls', and commentaries from CBS . .  gimmie a break . . . semantics like . . . the false documents were never really proven to be forgeries are the tools of liars at worst and those who would direct your thinking because you are too dull to think for yourself at best.

Yes, it costs money to finance wars, it costs money to finance entitlements, it costs money to run a bloated government. The fact is the government took in more revenue after the tax cuts so cutting taxes is productive. It stimulates growth and more revenue yet is generated. Spending does need to be brought under control and entitlements have to be funded. Few businesses or government platforms succeed with out startup capital. In this case it's a really big number that's going to take a lot of growth to pay it back. It's a longer term view and one that is foriegn to the "roaring 90s" 'gotta make a profit this quarter' mentality.

I have worked my way out of financial holes in the past . . . I am confident the USA will work its way out of its financial hole by doing the same thing . . . work hard, get finances under control, and invest in yourself.

w1guh
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 12:48:04 PM »

"The fact is the government took in more revenue after the tax cuts so cutting taxes is productive."

Could you please direct me to data that supports that assertion, Art?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Warren
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 01:08:03 PM »

....... independendant review panel

Ya right !! What was I thinking ?
Hi Bud,
    The independent review panel was headed by REPUBLICAN Dick Thornburgh. Thornburgh is a former Governor of Pennsylvania and cabinet member in the  Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush's administrations as Attorney General of the United States. You can't get better conservative republican credentials than that!

73 Warren
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 01:18:30 PM »

Recently the History Chan.?? was showing some Pompey bathouse art work....  The naughty bits were all fuzzed out.This prg aired ~10P. ......... I feel safer now.
                   klc

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 01:34:07 PM »

Art,
After nam we decided on conducting war using different methods. We went back to the old stupid way just like the british during our revolution.

Tell me how was Clinton so successful holding down the credit card wile affording SS and other things that help the tax payers.

The crooks don't want anything that helps the American people. The party that takes your money and makes excuses for being broke.

THE NEW CREDIT CARD LIMIT TODAY 8.965T  now that is conservative.

much better than dried sperm on a blue dress.

Art
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 02:01:31 PM »

"Art,
After nam we decided on conducting war using different methods. We went back to the old stupid way just like the british during our revolution.

Tell me how was Clinton so successful holding down the credit card wile affording SS and other things that help the tax payers.

The crooks don't want anything that helps the American people. The party that takes your money and makes excuses for being broke.

THE NEW CREDIT CARD LIMIT TODAY 8.965T  now that is conservative.

much better than dried sperm on a blue dress."

Yes, it concerns me too . .  I am convinced we are going in the wrong direction as well in terms of spending . .  we are agreeing vehumently here . . . I am equally convinced you don't improve productivity by taking more away from people the harder they work . . . The dried sperm was a personal problem with President Clinton and none of my business . . . I view it as morally wrong . .  but like the folks who enjoy teenagers in orgies . .  'figure that's their thing and not mine to dictate . . .

Paul

No problem Paul . . . here's my logic: Even though the Federal government alone DID NOT take in more revenue because of the
tax cut in 2005, (I'm pretty sure that's what you were pointing out) revenues from taxes OVERALL were higher. The unemployment
rate is at historically low levels. More people working, not being taxed at a higher rate, means more money is available to
spend. Home ownership is at historic high levels. Business is doing well per upside surprises by companies across the economic
spectrum. We have the broadest valuation increase in years in the stock market because of this. We have more in our pocket so
we spend more (the savings rate has also declined . . so the funds are being spent and taxed.) Revenues are therefore
increasing from sales tax, property tax, state tax on more people working, etc. etc. The Fed tax cut has indeed increased revenue
because it stimulates the economy. This leads to higher consumption and more demand for goods and services which leads
to more employment and eventually more income to the Fed itself . . . however, not instantly. As I said, it's a long term program.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/promoting.html

Through a growing economy, Federal receipts are once again rising at a steady rate. Combined with spending restraint, rising
revenues will reduce the near-term budget deficit. By addressing the near-term deficit and the long-term imbalances in entitlement
programs, America will further reinforce our prospects for a strong economy in the years ahead.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2005/treasury.html

Since 2001, the President has signed three tax bills to boost the economy. In combination, the Economic Growth and Tax Relief
Reconciliation Act of 2001 (EGTRRA) and the Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003 (JGTRRA) provided substantial
tax relief and immediate stimulus to the economy, improving the potential for economic growth in the long-run. These Acts
reduced taxes by an average of $1,544 for 109 million taxpayers in 2003. In addition, the Job Creation and Worker Assistance Act
(JCWAA) of 2002 provided businesses investment incentives as well as extended unemployment insurance benefits.

http://www.freemarketproject.org/news/2005/news20050705.asp

President Bush put in tax rate cuts, the economy has recovered and the tax revenue is up. So it wasn't a tax cut, it was a tax
rate cut! and it worked perfectly, tax revenue increased. Now if we can just get Congress to cut spending....

http://www.econlib.org/library/ENC/CapitalGainsTaxes.html

"Excessive spending has been the real culprit behind federal deficits. Even with the passage of President Bush’s tax cuts,
total federal revenues in 2005 are projected to be 52 percent higher (adjusting for inflation) than in 1995. And according
to research by John Berthoud of the National Taxpayers Union, if the federal government had merely limited total spending
growth over the past six years to 3.2 percent annually, the Congressional Budget Office would today be projecting a small
surplus for Fiscal Year 2005 instead of a substantial deficit."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/02/20060208-7.html

http://www.freemarketproject.org/news/2005/news20050626.asp

So, that's my logic and some of the basis for it. . . it makes sense to me that more money in my pocket translates to more spending on my part . . . I can prove that personally . . . I can also prove I pay more sales, property, and other taxes than I did before.

If there's an error there please let me know . . . I would be pleased to pay less sales, property, and other taxes . . . and so would the record number of people who are employed today.

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 02:32:01 PM »

The courts and the FCC worked out a "compromise", with the FCC permitting the broadcasting of indecent material during the "safe harbor" of 10 PM to 6 AM. This could possibly include the "F-word". Cable and satellite TV are exempt from the restrictions

10 pm to 6 am. Really? How many kids are up during that time watching TV? I have caught my kids watching the toob during those hours. Cartoons are on all night so on weekends the lure is there to watch them whenever. Channel surfing and you find the crap. Just more unenforcable rules. More regulations have done nothing .   Roll Eyes

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
John Holotko

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 02:56:51 PM »

Art,

THE NEW CREDIT CARD LIMIT TODAY 8.965T  now that is conservative.
much better than dried sperm on a blue dress.

The problem isn't so much that Americans have less to spend  but rather that Americans spend way beyond their means. Currently the economy is booming, there are more jobs, higher salaries, better working conditions and greater opportunity for Americans now than any time in our history. Today people take home better pay than ever before and have far more money to spend than they ever did. Look at the rate people are spending and the things they are buying. New homes, home  improvement, summer homes, multiple cars, expensive apartments, computers, home entertainment, cable tv, subscriber services, etc ?? When in the history of this country did you ever see Americans with so much incredible raw buying power and spending so much ??

Unfortuinately many Americans will complain that they have no buying power and they are getting priced out by health care costs, gas prices, credit card bills etc. But that's not the fault of government or this administration. It is largely the faulty of people spending way beyond their meansand not planning ahead for a future. People need to anticipate fuel costs, health care costs  etc. ahead of time so the money is available when needed.

What all this has to do with CBS getting fined I have no idea.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Art
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 03:14:15 PM »

John,
Yep . . . we are on the same page . . consipicuous consumption is indeed a characteristic of more cash in the hands of every one just as much as more tax revenue on that spending. However, if someone does or doesn't spend in accord with my thoughts, well, that's called freedom. Taxing more so a purportedly benevolent government can more intelligently spend (from their perspective) your money is degenerative.
We got here because a peripheral comment was thrown in the mix on debt and credibility of CBS 'reporting'. . . . and I fed the troll . .  mea culpa . . .
CBS getting record fines is not much of a surprise when you consider the long strange trip they are on . . .
Art
w1guh
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 09:53:24 PM »

I appreciate your taking the time for your well written support of your assertion, and the links it contains.  There's a lot there to digest, and it's going to take me a while to take it all in.  Thanks again, Art.

Paul
Art
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 07:51:29 AM »

No problem Paul . . . I have heard many Senators and Congressmen say more money in the hands of consumers creates more income for the government(s) isn't true but they never back it up with logic and actual experience. They tend to quote CBS polls and focus on reports that show part of the picture. I guess taxes aren't a problem if you effectively don't pay them . . .
Then I hear others parrot such statements as if they are undisputed facts because they come from such sources and are verified in CBS polls.
Thanks for looking for other inputs too . . . though mine are probably as biased right as CBS is biased left . . .

WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 09:11:20 AM »

My problem is we waste billions of dollars making trouble around the world supporting every rat hole on the planet and cry poverty whenever there is an issue to help the American people. That is B.S.
The American government spends way beyond their means. People who do that go bust.
We have issues in this country that need addressing screw the rest of the world.
Let the French take care of it. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015